Logo by teamfresh - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 07:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Switching from Mac to PC  (Read 6906 times)
Jhaptal
Forums Newbie

« on: June 05, 2013, 08:47:08 PM »

Hello all,
First post here, so please accept this as an introduction also. I'm switching from Mac to PC and want to optimize the new computer for Mandelbulb 3D. I'm going to build from scratch and given how cpu hungry rendering is I was thinking of going with a dual, quad core machine. My question is, is it possible to get comprable performance with a single quad core and a great graphics card or is the dual quad a must have. I'm rendering animation at HD. Also, any thoughts on graphics cards or anything that it may be useful to know for this would be great.
Been working with Mandelbulb 3D for the last couple of months and am hooked! Thanks to Jesse and everyone involved for making this incredible thing!!!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »

Although some fractal software utilises GFX cards, most doesn't so you really need all the CPU horse-power you can get - ideally that goes for both CPU and GPU since more GPU-based stuff is appearing all the time.
I wouldn't switch to PC from Mac in a million years personally - I find Bootcamp works great and Crossover (commercially supported Wine) almost as well - also most of the software will move to native Mac sooner or later, even if I have to convert it myself wink
I'd recommend a minimum of 4 cores (8 hyperthreaded) but ideally at least 12 (24 hyperthreaded), preferably 16 (32) if you can afford it wink
24 hyperthreaded on my dual 6-core Mac pro is *very* nice - and that's pre-I7.

You can always check the UF benchmarks as they will translate in relative terms pretty accurately to any CPU based fractal software:

http://www.shadoworld.co.uk/UF5/Benchmark/Benchmark%20results.htm
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:27:05 PM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Jhaptal
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »

Hey David,
Thanks very much for the quick response! I work on a quad core Mac Pro at work and am in the process of having them set up bootcamp so I can use MB3D in that. I'm sure it will work great, I've heard bootcamp is very good at what it does. The reason I'm switching at home to PC is simply cost. I love Mac but the reality is, a Mac with the level of computing power that I need is out of my budget. I think I can build a good machine for just over $2000 US. A comprable powered Mac will run me into the low 3's.
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »

...and I have been waiting for this tuesday for a loooooong time now:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2040832/a-new-mac-pro-what-wed-like-to-see.html#tk.nl_mwbest

...keeping my fingers crossed...  afro

Jhaptal
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »

Been using Mandelbulb 3d in Bootcamp for the last few days and it's working great. Think I may have to upgrade my Mac and stick to this system. I would miss having the Mac side!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »

And I just go YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!  Have to wait a while though... sad

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/06/10Apple-Gives-Sneak-Peek-Into-the-Future-of-the-Pro-Desktop.html

LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »

And I just go YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!  Have to wait a while though... sad

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/06/10Apple-Gives-Sneak-Peek-Into-the-Future-of-the-Pro-Desktop.html

<Quoted Image Removed>

Have to admit the thing looks and sounds sweeeeeeeettt Johan....but I'll be none of us can afford it....here I'd love to be wrong
Jhaptal
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »

Pretty incredible specs on this beast. Have to start saving my pennies wink
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »

I expect this thing to launch into orbit when the fans rev up. :-) A lot of heat is being produced within a small volume.
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »

Pretty incredible specs on this beast. Have to start saving my pennies wink

Sorry to hijack this thread Jhaptal, but I think it is relevant, this release made me decide to stay on Mac, I was considering PC because of the Mac Pro becoming very old technically. Glad to hear it gave you some hope too!  grin

@Louis, you expect this to become more expensive than the current Mac Pro? I hope not...

@hobold Not sure about that, the cooling system seems very interesting...

For you who have not seen apples presentation of it:

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

IT IS VERY STARWARS:ish!! I will keep my Darth Wader helmet right next to it!  afro

I added a few images so you'll see what I mean wink

* Skärmavbild 2013-06-12 kl. 09.02.03.jpg (95.9 KB, 836x725 - viewed 277 times.)

* Skärmavbild 2013-06-12 kl. 09.02.42.jpg (91.84 KB, 602x819 - viewed 247 times.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:06:47 AM by KRAFTWERK, Reason: Added images » Logged

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »

... the cooling system seems very interesting...

Indeed. Obviously working like a (fan driven) chimney
Cool design-piece. I'll consider returning to mac (after leaving around 2000)
But I'm afraid this will be an expensive expierience. Alone the graphics with two fire pros costs more tan a high end consumer machine.
But I'm still courious about the benchmarks

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »

But I'm afraid this will be an expensive expierience. Alone the graphics with two fire pros costs more tan a high end consumer machine.

I was just checking the discussions on a (very reliable) Swedish Mac Forum.
They were discussing the same thing about the price, if you were to buy the individual components it would end up above 10000 $ But usually Apple has deals with the graphic card/processor- etc- industry which (if the deals are like they used to be in earlier releases) their guess is that the price would end up around 2500 $ for the basic model and 5000$ "For the machine you want to have" wink

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »

I followed some discussions about this topic and the main critics about the new machine is the hardwired ati graphics.
While in games graphics ati and nVidia are coequal, it is well known, that nVidia's Quadro Cards are up to double quick than amd's fire pro with professional CAD programs like Catia.
Many people are complaning abot that - and I can understand. As long as amd's fire pro drivers are as they are, they are not competitive. But maybe Apple can work a wonder here too.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »

I was just checking the discussions on a (very reliable) Swedish Mac Forum.
They were discussing the same thing about the price, if you were to buy the individual components it would end up above 10000 $ But usually Apple has deals with the graphic card/processor- etc- industry which (if the deals are like they used to be in earlier releases) their guess is that the price would end up around 2500 $ for the basic model and 5000$ "For the machine you want to have" wink
On this matter I think the Swedes have been eating too much fish Johan...the current model is way more expensive than that, and I think they will have mo problem in asking a premium on this model.....If the base system is $5k I'd be surprised, again, I'd love Apple to prove me wrong
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

You are probably right Louis, but I hope you are not!
(Upgraded machines tend to have the same prizing as the last batch, but this might be an exception.  sad)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: