Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 08:25:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Cutting planes defined relative to the viewer / camera?  (Read 2732 times)
cytotox
Alien

« on: June 05, 2013, 03:59:39 PM »

Hi Jesse

Would it be possible to have a checkbox for the "Cutting" Tab to define the cutting X-, Y- & Z-planes with respect to the camera - when checked, the Z-plane will cut the object always perpendicular to the direction of viewing (for using it as a near plane object removal tool)?

(And if yes, would it be possble to have these parameters available from the Navigator via sliders?) embarrass
slon_ru
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »

Hi! Try to use f1 & f2 in Navi panel. "Far plane" parameter.

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »

Hi Jesse

Would it be possible to have a checkbox for the "Cutting" Tab to define the cutting X-, Y- & Z-planes with respect to the camera - when checked, the Z-plane will cut the object always perpendicular to the direction of viewing (for using it as a near plane object removal tool)?

(And if yes, would it be possble to have these parameters available from the Navigator via sliders?) embarrass

The program already got a nearplane, just turn on the fixed mode (F6, you then see the zoom value with adjustment buttons) and navigate forward until the object vanishes.
The size of the nearplane is related to the zoom value, so you can try changing the zoom too.
cytotox
Alien

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »

@slon_ru

Yes, far plane usage is straightforward - however, what I want is a *near* object removal tool ...

@ Jesse

Ok, using a combination of zooming out and moving forward can do the trick (it needs some fine tuning though to keep / recover the image section / 'frame' of the original image).

I now find out that zooming does behave differently from what I expected - it changes perspective and - like moving with fixed steps - the position of the view port (cutting objects) is also not fixed. So the field of view remains the same and is correctly shown in the FOVy box? Moving does not change the size of viewport, but zooming changes size of viewport as well as its postition (zooming in reduces its size and simultaneously moves it forward) - is that correct?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:02:46 AM by cytotox » Logged
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »

I now find out that zooming does behave differently from what I expected - it changes perspective and - like moving with fixed steps - the position of the view port (cutting objects) is also not fixed. So the field of view remains the same and is correctly shown in the FOVy box? Moving does not change the size of viewport, but zooming changes size of viewport as well as its postition (zooming in reduces its size and simultaneously moves it forward) - is that correct?

The FOV stays the same when zooming and also the position of the nearplane.
But when changing the size of the nearplane the camera position changes like you said.

It is a somewhat strange behaviour but got some advantages, nevertheless i guess i will change this to a more common behaviour with a specified camera position instead of the nearplane.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: