Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: complex not so complex  (Read 2256 times)
Description: a geometrical theory for designing fractals
Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

@kram1032:  The notation portion here is mostly "much ado about nothing".  You need an expanded notation to formally construct, demonstrate a property, explain a concept, to look for "what I'm I missing here?" and to complete a derivation.  Otherwise you're going to be working purely symbolically.  The tuple notation simply fits my brain better...partly because I'm a programmer.  Still I'd do - standard 2D model: X = (s, v, b) = (s, (vx,vy,vz), b).  Say ~X is grade reversal: ~(s,v,b) = (b,v,s).  Standard 3D model: (s, v, b, t) = (s, (vx,vy,vz), (bx,by,bz), t).  Multi-vector algebra tend to have a fair number of null-vectors, so the form of say (s,0,b,0) jumps out at me faster.  If I were to start playing around with 3D conformal GA you couldn't pay be to write out all 32 terms.  Another potential benefit is when are are looking a different mathematical types, which are related:  say complex numbers and quaternions.  But seriously I can't see this sub-topic as being very important.

WRT: Quaternions - although they can be used to represent a 2D projective space, a 3D interpretation is much more natural (i.e. 3D bivector plus scalar).

All code submitted by me is in the public domain. (http://unlicense.org/)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »

Rotation within vector algebra would typically be done via rotational matrices, right?
That's matrix multiplication and is undefined for equally shaped vectors.
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:04 AM »

I don't know what you mean. This fractal has obviously been created by iterating a non-conformal map of the Mandelbulb type. What looks like almost smooth rings are overly stretched versions of the pattern. Of course, this doesn't mean that there are no small scale detail. Just that they are stretched, some of them beyond recognition. This is not what happens in the M-set.

You're right.  :p

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »

Some very nice discussion here about the crucial role of symbolic notation in making the Algrbra more or less intuitive than the geometry.

If you have not read Hermann Grassmann's 1844 Ausdehnungslehre, in German, I highly recommend it for this part of the discussion. Die Ableitung der Begriffe I think is the chapter, excuse my poor German.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: