Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 01:24:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mixing DE techniques  (Read 4924 times)
tryptophan
Safarist

« on: May 24, 2013, 04:16:34 AM »

I'm looking at implementing a type of DE where I can choose different fractal formulas and mix them in different ways. I have one already that processes different formulas within an iteration but now I would like to build a system where I can choose different formulas within an iteration and have a series of different iterations of different formulas.

My first hybrid was relatively successful but it was composed of only KIFS formulas that all had the same return line - return length(p) * pow(Scale,-float(i)); so there didn't seem to be a problem mixing the the formulas within the iteration. Now though I would like to have different types of fractals in the iteration and have multiple iterations of different fractals. Is there some sort of way to have a general return line to return the distance of many different fractal types? I've tried using the above line with the Mandelbox which did work sort of but not fully.

Another idea was to get the distance of each iteration then subtract the distances from each other in some way - is there any logic to this?

The third method I was thinking for combining fractal types was to use a simple boolean operations on the distance to get unions, intersections and substractions.

And the fourth method I was thinking of using was to call another fractal in the return statement using the processed value of p, I think I could call this a fractal Trap?

To sum up what I would like to accomplish, here are the techniques I would like to implement.

1. combine fractal formulas within a single loop
2. combine a series of loops consisting of different fractal types (or a combo from method 1) loop1 is the input to loop2 etc...
3. somehow adding/subtracting loops in parallel
4. using boolean operations to combine loops in parallel
5. using a fractal as a trap in the last line of the fractal ei. return mandelBox(p) * pow(Scale, -float(i)); where p has already been iterated by a formula.

I just realized that formula in method 5 might be the answer to implementing method 2?

Anyways if anyone has any suggestions on how the best method and/or feasibility of any of these techniques I would be really interested in hearing what you would have to say.

thanks
Keith
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »

Hi,
You may find this (still unfinished) document useful.  smiley
tryptophan
Safarist

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »

Thanks Knighty, I actually found some helpful info on Syntopia's blog also. I'll check out the link asap.

I've come to realize it can be quite tricky mixing all types of formulas but I have a had bit of success so far.

cheers
Keith
tryptophan
Safarist

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:04:47 AM »

Thanks Knighty that article is definitely helpful. I still need to really learn more math so all this will make more sense but it is starting to. So far I've just been hacking stuff together and it has been working but if I understood more I'm sure I could progress. Thanks for the help and info.

cheers
Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: