Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 04:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Geometric Algebra, Geometric Calculus  (Read 12669 times)
Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »

All I've done is reformed, say (x2-y2-z2) = (x+y+z)(x-y-z)+2yz to avoid the possibility of catastrophic cancellation and specify the direction of the line through the origin with respect the angle doubling is occurring.  The linked equations are ignoring the translation part.

All code submitted by me is in the public domain. (http://unlicense.org/)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »

yeah, ignoring the translation part is what I meant by doing it in one iteration

really nice work, now that there are examples of it all in the other thread ;P
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »

Excellent introduction to GA Kram.

I had a difficulty with the kind of mathematical Houdini approach of others, but you set it out for the most part sensibly and in a motivating way.

The Algebraic manipultions is where most non mathematicians get lost. Then the 1 to 1 isomorphisms( one thing in one notation is attached to only one thing in another notation, so we can say those things identify with each other, and the behaviours are the same for one notation as it is for the other notation) is the next place where people get lost.
Finally the lack of specificity in the term vector  also loses people.

Honestly, each of these areas of loss and confusion I experienced reading your article, but because I knew what I was looking for I could see how you had tried to minimise these crisis points.

I learn something new each time I look at Grassmanns work, and I still think we over complicate it unnecessarily. The real problem is overcoming decades of bad teaching practices to be able to grasp the naturalness of these arithmetical concepts.

Nobody explains why the signature of a system is -1,0,1 because no one understands Grassmans dynamic model. I would highly recommend Norman Wildberger for all things Grasdmann even if he still gets some of it wrong, he is mostly right as far as the Grassmann method of Analysis is concerned. I have learned a lot through his clear exposition.

Grassmann defines Strecke as Die Begräntzte Linie, but also in the same context as the symbol for many discrete and continuous magnitudes in dynamic change. In this way he takes what is trigonometry of the parallelogram and the Triangle deconstructed into 3 points and 4 points with their associated stretch between them, into the subtleties of our interacting with space.

But what few grasp is that through Lagrange and his Father Justus, Grassmann was giving a version of Newtonian Analytics. And Newton was giving us his deep meditation on Pythagorean Mechanics and Astrological thought, as promulgated by the Platonic Academies.

Of those associated with the Euclidean branch of Plato's academy in Alexandria 2 stand out: Archimedes and Apollonius. But it is the work of Eudoxus that most clearly introduces the Pythagorean lineal algebra in the Logos Analogos format.

Making sense of how we interact with space before believing results of Algebraic manipultions is crucial to our sanity and sense of identity.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:54:42 PM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »

This is link to the Cayley contribution to Grassmans analytical method.

http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/356/1740/1123.full.pdf

It takes a familiar Clifford algebra approach, and is too technical for my tastes, but if you have followed Norman and his video on area and volume in his WildLinAlg series you will recognise the point being put across.

How unfortunate that Mathematicians feel they have to bamboozle there audience with utter tripe while attempting to make a valuable contribution to methodology!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:56:16 PM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »

Years ago I skimmed the complete works of Cayley (available online)...it's quite interesting the range of topics and how various fields ended contributing to the development of linear algebra.  While I'm babbling about old math papers I found it kind of interesting to see that "flame-wars" existed (at least) in the 19th century...they just did it in journals.

"What are you doing in there?"
"Writing an article...someone in Philosophical Magazine is wrong."

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »

Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

I figured someone would get the reference.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »

rolling on floor laughing
Can you imagine, if they had the communication back then?  Fast connections are not always a good thing! Lol!

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 05:10:45 AM »

Years ago I skimmed the complete works of Cayley (available online)... it's quite interesting the range of
    topics and how various fields ended contributing to the development of linear algebra.   While I'm babbling
    about old math papers I found it kind of interesting to see that "flame-wars" existed (at least) in the 19th
    century... they just did it in journals.
Yes, a very good reference.    sticking out tongue  jabbering

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 05:12:56 AM »

rolling on floor laughing
    Can you imagine, if they had the communication back then?   Fast connections are not always a good thing!  Lol!

Just wait and see what will happen when technology is able to directly link the brain to the computer for transferring thoughts immediately as they are thought.    cheesy

Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »

Haha

Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »

Alan Macdonald has an updated survey paper:

http://faculty.luther.edu/~macdonal/GA&GC.pdf

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

nice, thanks smiley
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 02:54:10 AM »

If I had to guess, this probably isn't quite legal, but I found this on google scholar:
Guide to Geometric Algebra in Practice - Leo Dorst, Daniel Fontijne and Stephen Mann (pdf)
Normally, you can only get a preview of it on Google books. It might not be up for long.
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »

Good catch kram1032.
Sometimes they do make books available for free download, but springer are normally very tight!
Lol!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: