Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 01:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is there any shape that can not be found in the Mandelbrot?  (Read 5612 times)
Levi
Alien

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 01:18:52 AM »

I've successfully built a program to find grids of unique escape times. It's not very smart - it just repeatedly picks a random location and a random zoom factor then checks to see if the grid created is unique.

I can confirm that unique grids of 15x15 can be found - however it takes a little while. For an iteration cap of 10000 (the fastest number I've tried so far), it averages about 1 unique grid for every 551021 grids tested. If this is going to be feasible, then I'm going to have to give my program a little bit of intuition so that it spends more time searching in areas that are more likely to be successful.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:21:14 AM by Levi » Logged

Math isn't the solution, math is the question.
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »

Nice work, Levi

Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »

A question for the mathematicians. Is there any shape that is not present, at least approximately, in the Mandelbrot set?

Here is one of them:

Here is another that don't appears in mandelbrot:

fractal catalisator
Levi
Alien

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »

Actually, Alef, I may just have to prove you wrong when I get this program finished. The problem is getting it to run in a feasible time frame.

Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »

Actually, Alef, I may just have to prove you wrong when I get this program finished. The problem is getting it to run in a feasible time frame.
Would love to see it.
 I was thinking that using 3D CAD approach to combine fractals could allow to make fractal chair, but then it woun't be just generated.

fractal catalisator
grobblewobble
Alien

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »

I'm sure you could find such images where the escape time of every pixel is unique (assuming that all visible points are escaping), and from there you could adjust your coloration rules in such a way that it would create any image you want.
Actually, I wonder now. What if the image has multiple pixels with the exact same color? Of course you can always approximate such an image by choosing a different color that is arbitrarily close to it, but..

edit: and the answer is: then you choose a color scheme that assigns the same color to several different escape times. Doh.  lips are sealed
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:14:15 PM by grobblewobble » Logged
Levi
Alien

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 08:18:53 PM »

@Alef: Read the posts on the previous page. The OP meant "Is there any image that cannot be generated within the Mandelbrot using the right configurations", not "Is there any shape that does not occur in the Mandelbrot set itself". Which changes the question completely. I should be able to have a demo for very very small images in a few days, but it's going to require some more research into interpolation techniques which I haven't worked with much.

@grobblewobble: For a large image size, almost every possible grid will have two pixels of the exact same escape time if you're using non-normalized iteration counts. However, unique grids of every size should exist - they are just hard to find. The largest ones I have found successfully are 15*15, but I found about 100 of those. Large sizes will require ridiculous computation times (and luck, since these are nondeterministic computations) but they can, in theory, be found.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:21:25 PM by Levi » Logged

Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »

IMHO some are irrational and trying to see just everything in mandelbrot set;)

fractal catalisator
Levi
Alien

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »

Udate: have found unique grids of 64x64, still without using normalized iteration count. Started working on an interpolation program but got distracted learning SDL tongue stuck out
But I will resume this project soon!!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:05:41 AM by Levi » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: