Logo by jwm-art - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 05:42:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: DE function for 'cloth draping' type deformation ?  (Read 1665 times)
glennmarshall
Alien

« on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »

Hi all
I'm currently getting into Distance fractals / Distance generative art, I've been using this code, built in Processing,
http://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/73427

anyway - I've been going though all the articles by our two luminaries, Syntopia and Inigo, but being such a new area of CGI, there's a limited amount of examples and tutorials.  I've managed to understand repetition, boolean CSG, noise displacement, twisting and blending of objects so far.

One thing I'm trying to achieve is deforming a plane to wrap over an irregular object - say for example I have an sdBox (d1) at the origin, and a plane at 4-p.y , is it possible to deform the plane as if it were draped on top?

Maybe not possible - but any other suggestions for interesting ways of creating 'geometry' or Distance Fields, I'd love to hear about, thanks,
Glenn.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:16 AM »

Hello and welcome   afro

...One thing I'm trying to achieve is deforming a plane to wrap over an irregular object - say for example I have an sdBox (d1) at the origin, and a plane at 4-p.y , is it possible to deform the plane as if it were draped on top?

Maybe not possible - but any other suggestions for interesting ways of creating 'geometry' or Distance Fields, I'd love to hear about, thanks,
Glenn.

My programming days are long behind me now, unfortunately.  But I do know it's possible!

Many 3D Programs do this already.  You may want to have a look at Blender, as it is free and open source.  Every other program I know of that does draping is closed source and commercial.

Good luck with it!  I'd love to see the results.

See you around the forum.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:18:46 AM »

as far as i know you wont fight a straight DE function for this, if yes it would be ridiculous, you need to implement a physical simulator for it, many public physic engines support clothes as well, you would need to create a solid object out of your DE object, then put it into the physics solver and with that you would have an object laying on top of yours ... wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
eiffie
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »

Well this is close to ridiculous but I have done deformation (like a spider walking on water) where you simply measure the distance from your plane to the object deforming it - if the distance is negative you push the plane down to meet it. Something like:

float DEDeformedPlane(vec3 p){
  return p.y-max(DEObject(p),0.0);
}

This is only going to "work" with simple signed distance estimates. (and then only an estimate!)
It would work better if you have a seperate distance estimate to the object that only accounts for the distance thru the axis perpendicular to the plane.
glennmarshall
Alien

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »

Thanks all ! sorry for late reply - I was expecting an email notification of any replies - but didn't have it switched on..

I don't need an accurate cloth simulator - just a basic way of adding the max height of one object to a plane below- eiffie, your formula looks just what i'm looking for - i'll give it a try,

great to have support on these forums - i'll be around a lot - my whole new direction is ray marched, generative art and animation created from code smiley

www.butterfly.ie

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »

Hi Glenn, and welcome to the forums!

I've been following Glenn's work for some years, and he has made a lot of great stuff:
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=52690038&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=52690038&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Looking forward to see what you can do with distance estimators!

eiffie
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »

Awesome, I really liked the latte.
glennmarshall
Alien

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:50:50 PM »

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: