Logo by teamfresh - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:51:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Distance Estimated Soft Shadow Banding Artifact  (Read 2027 times)
Geometrian
Forums Freshman

« on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »

I'm getting banding artifacts in my soft shadow algorithm (functionally the same as that described by http://iquilezles.org/www/articles/rmshadows/rmshadows.htm). Here's a render; notice the banding along shadow edges, especially in the main holes of the L1 sponge:

I don't know what the problem is, although I conjecture it might be because different rays' minimum distance estimates may not actually be the minimum distances of tangency.

I'm sure this problem has been seen before; how is it solved?

Thanks,
-G
elphinstone
Alien

mattia.gollub
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »

Probably you have alread checked it... but are you sure that you are NOT using regular sampling? Usually these artifacts appear when you sample points on a regular grid. Jittered sampling can solve the problem.

EDIT: I don't remember where and in which context, but I read somewhere that making the rays start at different positions can help solving similar problems.

Code:
rayOrigin = viewOrigin + rand(0.0, EPSILON) * rayDirection

I hope this helps smiley
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:27:16 PM by elphinstone » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: