Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 01:29:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hidden Mandelbrot  (Read 2035 times)
Description: Why does it appear ???
Moresque
Forums Newbie

« on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:02 PM »

Hi all,

I just discovered a new formula to make appear a Mandelbrot, and I don't success in explaining why...

--
Z0 = c

Zn+1 = Zn+c²*(Zn)^(-1)-1

--

And for these using Xaos : z+(c^2)*(z^(-1))-1     -> It will automatically change the initialization point in c.

Any idea ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:40:15 PM by Moresque » Logged
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:28:54 AM »

Because the mandelbrot set is universal.
(https://www.google.com.au/search?q=the+mandelbrot+set+is+universal)

My interpretation is that the gradient of the mandelbrot set transform is linear, so any formula that you come up with will have small sections where the transform gradient is approximately linear, so in those sections it looks like the mandelbrot set. It is a bit like the fact that any smooth curve looks like a plane if you zoom in close enough.
Moresque
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »

I see what you mean, and I know well the universality of the Mandelbrot set (the combination of a big panel of Julia sets), but how do you explain that with very similar formula (for exemple z² + c -1), there is no Mandelbrot ?

I tried a lot of similar fractals, and the formula I quote is the only one wich gives a perfect Mandelbrot set...
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »

Hi all,

I just discovered a new formula to make appear a Mandelbrot, and I don't success in explaining why...

--
Z0 = 0

Zn+1 = Zn+c²*(Zn)^(-1)-1

--

And for these using Xaos : z+(c^2)*(z^(-1))-1

Any idea ?

I don't understand how this formula works.  If you begin with z = 0, then the first iteration should give you a divide-by-zero error with the z^(-1).

Other formulas will give perfect Mandelbrot sets, if you start with z = a critical point.  z = 0 is used with the standard Mandelbrot set because 0 is the critical point of f(z) = z^2 + c.  If you change the function, like f(z) = z^2 + z + c, then you'll need a different starting point.
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »

Probably started with a Z(0) = pixel. And fractal software could have no error message when there is division by 0.

fractal catalisator
Moresque
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »

I don't understand how this formula works.  If you begin with z = 0, then the first iteration should give you a divide-by-zero error with the z^(-1).

Other formulas will give perfect Mandelbrot sets, if you start with z = a critical point.  z = 0 is used with the standard Mandelbrot set because 0 is the critical point of f(z) = z^2 + c.  If you change the function, like f(z) = z^2 + z + c, then you'll need a different starting point.

You're right... I was thinking that XaoS was able to know the limit of the sequence even with a divide-by-zero, but when I typed 0 in user initialization, the fractal was different (but it does exist).

So I think that the software automatically fixes a critical point with the formula, but I can't find it...
Moresque
Forums Newbie

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »

I found it...

The starting point is c...

So I changed the formula in first post.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: