Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 12:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Object-Driven Fractals  (Read 4183 times)
Hoscheck
Forums Newbie

« on: April 27, 2013, 02:26:41 AM »

I have been a professional artist for years, but only discovered fractals today.

I find this to be an extremely interesting approach to art.

Is it possible to have an object drive the basis for a fractal?

For example, there is the "dragon fractal" that is driven by multiple triangles ... is it possible to drive a fractal by something such as a logo?

I hope this makes sense ... basically, I want to have the logo become the "beads in the kaleidoscope" you might say ... so that every shape created is rooted in the logo.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:04:10 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

basically, I want to have the logo become the "beads in the kaleidoscope" you might say ... so that every shape created is rooted in the logo.

This is easily done with images.

Here's a logo I made for the forum a while ago:

And my personal favorite image play, just for fun:

I have never seen a way to do this with 3D objects, but images are easily done with software ranging from the expensive UltraFractal, to the free Mutatorkammer (in our downloads section) and JWildfire - which I keep meaning to try!

Hope that helps.

Have fun and feel free to post your work   embarrass

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Hoscheck
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:16:39 AM »

Thank you for giving me an example and hope that I can achieve this.

I found and downloaded a program called Mutatorkammer BETA and am exploring it.

Do you know of any tutorial resources describing how to use an image as you mentioned?

I have found a "Set Image" feature under Global Options, but as yet, haven't found a way for it to affect anything, but then again, it is all "greek" to me ...
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »

Thank you for giving me an example and hope that I can achieve this.

I found and downloaded a program called Mutatorkammer BETA and am exploring it.

Do you know of any tutorial resources describing how to use an image as you mentioned?

I have found a "Set Image" feature under Global Options, but as yet, haven't found a way for it to affect anything, but then again, it is all "greek" to me ...

Mutatorkammer is a strange one, but it's still a favorite of mine for it's ease of playing with images in fractals.

The Fractal Forums logo was made in Mutatorkammer while the Walking Mandelbrot image took several programs working together to make.

Unfortunately, Mutatorkammer never left Beta and development stopped years ago - so it's a bit unstable and the documentation is non-existent   alien

I'll help as much as I can though.  The first steps are to open the Global Options panel, change the Min Value to Zero, and uncheck the Tone Mapping button.  That will preserve the colors of any image you choose.  Of course while you're there you can set the image of your choice too.

Then open the Library and go to the Image Fun menu.  Choose one and drag it to the "Breed Chamber" in the upper area to set it as a starting point.  Then either use the Breed, Variate, or Random tabs and click the Go button to generate a bunch of random things based on the chosen starting point.

Or you can open the Crossover Tab and drag a second item into the new window that appears next to the item you already placed there.  The second item can be a plain fractal, something else from the image fun library or even the same item you started with.  Then click the Go button.

Keep doing this until one of the results looks interesting, then either click on the "eye" icon that appears when you "mouse over" the item, or double click it to open it in a new window.

There may or may not be little target things when it's in it's own "Detail Window".  If there are, click and drag from the center of one to change parameters.  Not all actually show visible results though.  That's the hard part about Mutatorkammer.  It can be a random process and taming it takes time.

Eventually you'll find one you like.  Then comes the animating it part.  That uses a timeline like most animation software.  Let's get past the beginning hurdles before going into that...

Just to show how complicated it can be, I'll explain a bit about the Logo posted above.

I had to give it a black background and experiment a lot with different border sizes on the image to get it distorting how I wanted.  Here's what the same parameter file does to an image of the woman I love without changing the border at all:

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/sockratease/media/shoefly3music.mp4.html

As you can see, the background is distorting a lot.  I got around that by using a black border.  The border is warping in exactly the same way, but it's not noticeable because it's just a solid color.

I have the "Workspace" file for that saved if you want to have a look at it.

Mutatorkammer is not the easiest way to do things, as controlling it is a bit awkward, but it produces fun results and I have always managed with it while others may have varying degrees of difficulty.

JWildfire is also free, but uses the Flame style of fractals - one which I never quite wrapped my head around using to make Art.  I like what I see from the software, but never even got anywhere with Apophysis and the one time I tried JWildfire I did not do much better.  I keep meaning to try again though...

ChaosPro is another free alternative, but working with images in that one is also a bit less intuitive for me.

Sorry for the long-winded post.  I'll stop and see if you can make sense of what I said before going on further.

Good luck with it   afro

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »

One cool property of many fractals is that they are "attractors". This means that, no matter what region (read: object) you start with, you'll eventually end up in the same regime.
For example this. (don't bother with the text. What matters are the pictures here)
note how you start with three squares of different color and you still end up with the Sierpinski-Triangle.
There is an abundance of known processes that all end in this very shape, often appearing in vastly different contexts.

There are entire families of the continuous version of that, the strange attractors.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:58:44 PM »

And I just now noticed this thread is in the "Discuss Fractal Forums" section!

While the topic at hand certainly is not about this website, I am challenged to find the right place to move it...   embarrass

I moved it here, since Images in Orbit Traps has been called Exotic Projection in the past.  If any Mods or Admin have a better place to put it, feel free to relocate it to a better home   afro

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »

Haha, I didn't notice either!
I'm almost certain pretty much everyone just uses "Show unread posts since last visit" and thus never actually pays attention to the corresponding subforum.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

Haha, I didn't notice either!
I'm almost certain pretty much everyone just uses "Show unread posts since last visit" and thus never actually pays attention to the corresponding subforum.

Actually, I use the "Recent Posts" page, but the net effect is the same.  Seeing posts without much emphasis on where they were put   sad

Meanwhile, here's a couple other threads dealing with images in fractals and how to do so in ChaosPro:

http://www.fractalforums.com/chaospro/layering/15/

http://www.fractalforums.com/chaospro/further-upgrade-for-chaospro/15/

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: