Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is this art really a fractal?  (Read 5689 times)
HPDZ
Iterator

« on: April 03, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »

I had a few free minutes this afternoon so I thought I'd log in and peruse some of the topic areas I don't normally visit much...

This question, "Is this fractal really art?" (or the more general question "Is any fractal really art?") has always bothered me -- usually I have no problem accepting a fractal image as art. The question I've found myself asking far more often is, "Is this art really a fractal?"

The scope of the term "fractal" seems to have expanded to include anything that has any kind of periodic pattern repetition, spiral, swish, curlicue, or radiating lines. Or anything that was generated by or edited with UltraFractal.

I can't provide examples right now (only a few free minutes right now), but I would bet that most people have seen things like this.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »

This question, "Is this fractal really art?" (or the more general question "Is any fractal really art?") has always bothered me -- usually I have no problem accepting a fractal image as art.  The question I've found myself asking far more often is, "Is this art really a fractal?"

Ah, the age old questions concerning...   What is "art"?  and  What is a "fractal"?      death

The scope of the term "fractal" seems to have expanded to include anything that has any kind of periodic pattern repetition, spiral, swish, curlicue, or radiating lines.  Or anything that was generated by or edited with UltraFractal.

Yes, the UF "bigots" seem to think the application was sent from Heaven like manna, and those that use it sit on the right-hand of GOD.      evil   evil

Personally, I do not feel that all mathematical formulae which can be used within UF should be considered as fractal.  Nor do all images, coming from such a graphic editor as UF is, should be considered as fractals.

Once someone starts layering, masking, merging colors, and using many of the other graphic editor functions, how much of the resulting image truly should be considered as "fractal" ??

I can't provide examples right now (only a few free minutes right now), but I would bet that most people have seen things like this.

More than I care to think about.  And it seems to be growing exponentially.    ugly

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:18 AM »

I had a few free minutes this afternoon so I thought I'd log in and peruse some of the topic areas I don't normally visit much...

This question, "Is this fractal really art?" (or the more general question "Is any fractal really art?") has always bothered me -- usually I have no problem accepting a fractal image as art. The question I've found myself asking far more often is, "Is this art really a fractal?"

The scope of the term "fractal" seems to have expanded to include anything that has any kind of periodic pattern repetition, spiral, swish, curlicue, or radiating lines. Or anything that was generated by or edited with UltraFractal.

I agree, some "fractal" applications such as Ultra Fractal are quite capable of producing images that are not fractal - even Fractint could be used to do so smiley

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:16:33 AM »

Yes, the UF "bigots" seem to think the application was sent from Heaven like manna, and those that use it sit on the right-hand of GOD.      evil   evil

Just to point out that I'm not a UF "bigot" - I'm an ego-centric fractal formula writer, it just so happens that I write my formulas for UF smiley
I would recommend other fractal software for certain things - Incendia for general 3D fractals, Xenodream for 3D IFS (non-zoomed or non-affine), Chaoscope for strange attractors, software by Terry Gintz for quaternions etc., and Apophysis if you just want to do flames but for general "normal" escape-time fractals then I would recommend Ultra Fractal - and for affine 3D IFS with zooming possible then I'd recommend my own mmf4.ufm:3D IFS formula for Ultrafractal wink
I confess I haven't tried the Fractal Science Kit in earnest but my impression of version 1.0 so far is that it's comprehensive in approach and a reasonable GUI but is relatively very slow at rendering.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 04:19:27 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:28 AM »

is an image really fractal? simple test: look for self-similarity.

that is all, surely?  afro

titia
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »

Paul, you are not a Ultra Fractal lover, I see :-).

My real love is for Fractal Explorer, but it can't be updated anymore... it will disappear soon. UF is a nice program, but I don't consider this a pure fractal program. I can do nice postprocessing with it. Most things I could do with PSP, but this is more direct versatile. For me it is of no importance if it is a real fractal or art or whatever. I enjoy playing with the possibilities of fractalprograms.
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »

I think it's clear that many images made by Ultra Fractal and FractInt (and probably many other fractal programs) are not, strictly speaking, fractals.  But, does it matter?  Probably not, unless you're doing mathematical (as opposed to art) work with the program.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:24:31 AM »

i for myself like it the most if you can not resemble the 'classical' fractal structure, if the self similarity is hard to guess,
and a good use of layering techniques is also very welcome, but i for myself prefer to say it is procedural, and not textural (?) ...
i like if the whole result can be computed from formulas, like ultrafractal does it .... in a way it is a method of compressing the whole image
( the formula takes 2kb , and the printable image would eat easily 10mb of data )

afro

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
iteron
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »

Paul, you are not a Ultra Fractal lover, I see :-).

My real love is for Fractal Explorer, but it can't be updated anymore... it will disappear soon.

As I understand Fractal Explorer was coded in Delphi.

The last I used Delphi was around 2004 I think.   If Fractal Explorer is written in Delphi and the source code is available there exists the possibility of translating to a different programming language.

Delphi was based on the Pascal language.

I enjoyed using PlantStudio to create scenery for POVray, but it's a Windows program, just like Fractal Explorer, only because unfortunately it also was written in Delphi, and the creators don't have the resources to update it.

They've made the source code available and have translated around 75% of it to Python.
(I'd consider helping out, but my knowledge of Python is not up to it right now)

At that point they got stuck on the GUI part, and tried some solutions like  Jython, Tk, wxWidgets, but they couldn't sort it out.

I think using the non-standard, non-cross-platform solutions such as Delphi is a huge mistake.

Plant Studio grew out of around 6 years of work by the authors. 

It's a shame such great programs with so much work behind them become obsolete.

titia
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 10:02:44 AM »

Hi iteron,

The author of Fractal Explorer gave me the source code... He told me that if I could find someone that could update it, I could give it to him or her...
He told me too it would be a big job.
Please write me your own mailaddress if you want to discuss this further.
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:37:30 AM »

As with many things, the question should perhaps not be "is xyz a fractal", but rather how fractal-like is it. There are many shades of grey - for example, a repeating pattern with just 10 copies of a shape with each one rotated by 5 degrees is far less fractal-like than one which recurses off to an infinity small point, especially when such an area is properly 'space-filled' like the mandelbrot is, (rather than being very sparse).

As for whether fractals are art, a better question is how *good* is it.

I think a lot of what defines is art is being able to extract meaning from a picture. Although that can be cool sometimes, different people find different meanings (i.e. events/thoughs that the picture happens to remind them of), and although fractals have little of this 'meaning' thing, they have the far deeper, more timeless/universal quality which doesn't have to rely on potentially fickle relations to someone's past experience.

In other words, fractals are cool intrinsically for what they are, rather than for what they remind people of.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:42:45 AM by twinbee » Logged
LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »

There is a formal definition of what is a fractal. A fractal is an object with fractal (i.e. non-integer) dimension. Unfortunately, a lot of images are called fractals but they are not pure mathematical fractals. Such images explore semi-chaotic-semi-ordered shapes and patterns. These shapes are close to some dynamic systems (like turbulent streams). Fractals are also tightly related to dynamic systems, but they are not the same.

However, if we forget about the mathematical root of fractals, we could consider many ambient art works to be fractals, especially if they have hundreds of elements (balls, threads, etc) at different scales which are spread in a chaotic manner but still show some inception of order.

Personally, I would prefer to use "fractal" for mathematical fractals, and "fractal art" for artistic interpretations which look like fractals or for fractals that have been modified artistically.

BTW sometimes it is hard to tell whether a piece of fractal art is a true fractal. Its dimension must be calculated in order to be sure about this.
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:58:01 PM »

I've never liked that definition of fractal. By that definition, first of all, a fractal must be a set - in other words, a complex coloring algorithm that produces fractal shapes and whatnot without the use of a formula... would not even make any sense as a fractal. Secondly, it ignores all fat fractals (that is, fractals with area or volume, dense within some neighborhood). This means that the Mandelbrot set wouldn't even be a fractal. Even if you extended that definition to "A set with a fractional dimension, or whose boundary has a fractional dimension" you would still not be including the Mset, because it's boundary is so erratic that it's actually 2 dimensional. Even the Sierpinski tetrahedron has an integer number of dimensions. Only the first types of fractal conceived, such as the Cantor set or Koch curve, didn't have an integer dimension.

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 12:37:53 AM »

I think the best strict definition is this:
In 1975 Mandelbrot coined the word "fractal" to denote an object whose Hausdorff–Besicovitch dimension is greater than its topological dimension.
Wikipedia.

This includes the boundary of the Mandelbrot set, despite it having an integer fractal dimension.
And strictly speaking the Mandelbrot set isn't a fractal. It is a set of points, just like a disk is a set of points. The boundary is a fractal, since it is topologically 1d (a line) but has fractal dimension 2. Equally, the Mandelbulb isn't strictly a fractal, but its surface is.

However, in Mandelbrot's Interview (in the links section) you can see that he is accepting of 'fractal' being used in much looser ways, e.g. a coastline or a work of art being a fractal.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:50:42 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 03:24:23 AM »

Just because it's a "set of points" doesn't mean it isn't a fractal. A line - or a Koch Curve - is also a set of points. A ball of crumpled paper, or a 3D Koch surface, both are fat "Surfaces". And that definition doesn't even include the Cantor Set - it's Hausdorff dimension is less than it's Topological dimension.

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: