Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 05:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: fractal-nerds - 3D Fractal Animation Crowdsourced  (Read 4203 times)
Escapado
Forums Newbie

« on: April 01, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »

Hi Guys,
I think the title tells everything you need to know to click the link below:

http://www.fractal-nerds.tk/

It's a side project I just started to crowdsource the process of creating fractal videos.
Feel free to participate and comment.
 wink
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:46:40 PM »

there's a little problem with crowdsourcing idea - while in short term you might be able to speed up some job but, assuming you're not an arsehole and give back to other peers on the network, your next job will take longer than it would if you were not sharing your cpu time, thus making total net gain approaching zero for you (and everyone else, too).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:54:54 PM by makc, Reason: duh » Logged
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:13 PM »

oh wait... I jumped to conclusions too fast smiley you are not giving back at all, basically everyone will render your jobs only. Oh well. Then I guess it makes sense for you smiley

p.s. just to be clear, I did not call you (personally) an arsehole because you want other people cpus for free. many people do that, e.g. protein folding guys or electric sheep guys. I was having in mind someone who participates in bi-directional sharing but games the system to his own advantage. for example, people who stop seeding torrents as soon as it 100% downloaded. but as long as you are running uni-directional system and open about it, it's fine ) on somewhat unrelated note, I also noticed you want to share youtube ads, well why not just buy some amazon cloud time and compute there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:29:12 AM by makc, Reason: p.s. » Logged
Escapado
Forums Newbie

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 10:27:46 AM »

Hi makc,

Yeah, now you got it right, I want other peoples CPU Time and in return they get to see videos and may earn a little money from helping.
The reasons for which I am not buying cloud time are:
1) I am not a good programmer and as I state on the webpage I am using Mandelbulb3D to Render the fractals, which is closed source and only available as a windows binary, so I do not know
how to port it to the cloud.
2) I have absolutely no idea about how you run things in the cloud at all and I have not even programmed a single renderer myself. I just wrote a program to automize the configuration of M3B and build a small web infrastructure for it.
3) I could acutally use the cluster at my university but then again reason 2 kicks in.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »

I know it is meanwhile completely different than m3d, but mandelbulber would have major advantages in your case.

personally I still prefer mandelbulber for animations, for it's precise control over the results.
Compared to mandelbulber the m3d interpolation feels like playing lottery.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: