Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:10:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: MC Renderer  (Read 3429 times)
lxh
Iterator

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »

Important point. a radeon 7870 or a GTX660 has about 70% of the titan perfomance but costs 1/5. When you're using it to earn money and every minute costs, take the big one. In every other case, i'd try to find a suitable compromise.
Well, that's a point (and totally off topic now grin). But radeon gpu's don't have CUDA and a GTX660 doesn't have 6GB ram. Maybe i can get a 660 with exchange option.

I don't think M3D outputs 48bit pngs but I might be wrong and failed to see the option. Still worth a shot with LDR pngs IMO even though it's not optimal you still can get interesting/decent/suitable results.
Yes. In this case it's not about outrageous dynamic ranges but a simple 'combining' problem.  If i just want to mix the light parts of the second with the darker parts of the first, hdr is a good idea and has no need for higher bit resolutions. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:46:41 PM by lxh » Logged

I've learned so much by my mistakes that I'm planing to do some more.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

Hehe, this is the keyword. Saving time and compromise:

A higher value of MaxL brings up longer rays and as consequence more secondary light but it seems that it kills the ambient light proportionally.

As you can see here (MaxL 10 with dramatically increased calculation time), the foreground has a nicer diffuse 'ground light' but the background lost its ambiance.

Hmm, the lost in ambient can't be due to the ambient raylength itself, but maybe if you enabled dynamic fog and light is subtracted!
Check the 'dont subtract light' in the dFog options if you got some amount of fog.

Or .. an optional ZBuffer output from the MC renderer could help to mix it the _right_ way.

You can send the parameters to main, render a fast image and save the Zbuffer then.
For antialiasing you might increase the imagesize by 2 before.
lxh
Iterator

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »

Hmm, the lost in ambient can't be due to the ambient raylength itself, but maybe if you enabled dynamic fog and light is subtracted!
Check the 'dont subtract light' in the dFog options if you got some amount of fog.

Thanks for your answers, Jesse. I've tested that. With or without dynamic fog or any combination of its options, it has no effect to this phenomenon.
It seems the correlation of light-ray length and shadow-ray length does a good job for the ambient occlusion but work against ambient lights which i screwed up to the maximum while lowering the ambient shadow to the bottom end. I've also tested it without L2 Gamma. It stays the same. The DEAO shadow at higher MaxL values is simply too massive so that it destroys any ambiance inside this scene while increasing the ray length for the ambient occlusion. Well, as i understand it now, i can name it a ratio-regulation between fake- and real ambient light and would - if i could - separate the light-ray length from the shadow-ray length.

But another thought ... is it just because i use v1.88 and should i get the latest version in this context?

For antialiasing you might increase the imagesize by 2 before.

That was my idea too but i thought the anti aliasing wouldn't be exactly the same and would lead to some edges. But i will test it ...
Thanks again, Jesse!

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:20 PM »

Thanks for your answers, Jesse. I've tested that. With or without dynamic fog or any combination of its options, it has no effect to this phenomenon.
It seems the correlation of light-ray length and shadow-ray length does a good job for the ambient occlusion but work against ambient lights which i screwed up to the maximum while lowering the ambient shadow to the bottom end.

Only a few settings does have at all an effect on the mc renderer, there is no ambient shadow that is calculated.. only light will be added from all diffuse rays send out.  So also the ambient shadow settings in the lighting tab have no effect.
The only ways of subtracting light on the way is the dynamic and the depth fog, maybe you got dark depth colors and the depth slider is not at zero position?

I've also tested it without L2 Gamma. It stays the same. The DEAO shadow at higher MaxL values is simply too massive so that it destroys any ambiance inside this scene while increasing the ray length for the ambient occlusion.

A higher MaxL value can indeed lead to darker ambience when walls are hidden that are dark like in this case.
If no object was found until MaxL the background light is added, so this might be the case why it will be darker, but this would be the expected case.
You would have to increase the ambient rays depth count and lighten the diffuse colors maybe.

But another thought ... is it just because i use v1.88 and should i get the latest version in this context?

Should be no difference for this case.

[/quote]
That was my idea too but i thought the anti aliasing wouldn't be exactly the same and would lead to some edges. But i will test it ...
Thanks again, Jesse!
[/quote]

Hmm, i have not tested it yet, but with some luck it should fit well.
hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »

A really fractal cathedral  Wow, it seem a reproduced of the palace "Worldstone Keep" from game DIABLO 2 whick have same shape.

lxh
Iterator

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »

Only a few settings does have at all an effect on the mc renderer, there is no ambient shadow that is calculated.. only light will be added from all diffuse rays send out.  So also the ambient shadow settings in the lighting tab have no effect.
The only ways of subtracting light on the way is the dynamic and the depth fog, maybe you got dark depth colors and the depth slider is not at zero position?

Yes, i see. I checked it right away my posting. Sent it back and realized the reseted ambient shadow. But the normal fog is totally turned off and black.

A higher MaxL value can indeed lead to darker ambience when walls are hidden that are dark like in this case.
If no object was found until MaxL the background light is added, so this might be the case why it will be darker, but this would be the expected case.
You would have to increase the ambient rays depth count and lighten the diffuse colors maybe.

Hmmm, i see the functionality and it seems logical to me but it doesn't change the fact that i still miss the option to mix longer rays with faked ambient lights. Well, this case might be an exception but i recognized the same tendency in other - more opened - scenes. Normally i wouldn't say a word because of the option to do multi renderings and layer them. But if you wait .. say 40 hours for a real good high resolution image, this circumstance becomes a theme.

Thanks for your support, Jesse!

A really fractal cathedral, it seem a reproduced of the palace "Worldstone Keep" from game DIABLO 2 whick have same shape.

Thanks a lot hgjf2! happy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:03:24 AM by lxh » Logged

lxh
Iterator

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »

PS:

I might be up to a trick that could help. In this example we have a pretty similar light situation where i tried to increase the mc intensity by adding diffuse reflections. First test with an amount of 0.5 and mc reflection diffusivity of 1.0, depths 1. It seems that diffuse reflections reach out much further so there's no need to increase the MaxL value and loose the backgrounds ambient light. Well, it gives a little different look .. actually it increases details like a halved DEStop value. Maybe a higher diffuse value can make it smoother ... i will test it soon.

So if there's no other need for reflections, it could be an option to misuse it by setting high diffuse values.

lxh
Iterator

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »

Hi Jesse,

I know what the problem was. I had a simply too dark texture mapped by color wrap function. It damped the secondary light.
So i just made this texture brighter with less contrast. Here's the result ...

But this was too much for my taste and i mixed these images over 2xAA zBuffer from the normal renderer which seems to work properly with MC images.

Thank you for your efforts.

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »

Yes, that looks very nice  smiley

That was what i meant with a lighter diffuse color, though my explanations were not that clear i fear.
Was not that sure by myself...
so we need no fake ambient shadows and i don't have to say that i never do fakes into this renderer, but try to get rid of the compromises it still has  wink
lxh
Iterator

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »

Thank you Jesse. smiley

The definition of fake? I think every intervention to the original render output like photoshopping a zBuffer map or tuning colors and contrasts is the same 'fake' like changing the ambient light color or ray length in the pre-render tuning procedure. So i suppose rendering itself is the actual fake. wink

But the real problem is tuning the mc renderer. Do you think it's possible to drill up the mc function and do some internal zBuffer and normalmap masking and layering like you did in the standard renderer? Internal multipass might be the right therm. Well, i know it isn't possible to change (for example) the highlight specular value on the fly because it has to be calculated slowly within the whole mc render process but it could be possible to layer it internally and change its opacity or do even a gamma correction to fake its specularity afterwards. The same with reflections for example. OK, it could look more and more like a fake if then someone tunes such layers in extreme directions where it stands out that the whole lighting impression can't be true. But tuning mc has more of a subtle affair where small changes don't look faked but make the big difference.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:36:36 AM by lxh » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: