Logo by mario837 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 08:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: SOLVED Problem with anti-aliasing and normalized iteration count?  (Read 4619 times)
Description: Anti-aliasing creates bands in otherwise smooth image
opusGlass
Forums Newbie

« on: February 28, 2013, 11:00:47 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums so if I should post in a different category let me know.

I have a problem with a Mandelbrot program I wrote in C++. It has anti-aliasing and the normalized iteration count (smoothing) algorithm, each of which works fine on their own. But when I use the anti-aliasing and smoothing at the same time, banding occurs, similar to if I hadn't used the smoothing algorithm at all (images below). Any idea why this might be?

Anti-aliasing and smoothing: http://imgur.com/XgOBcuK
Smoothing only: http://imgur.com/hvwtZhK

Thanks in advance!
-Opus
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:24:33 PM by opusGlass » Logged
eiffie
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:31:43 PM »

I think we would need to see some code - I can't think why this would happen without some int rounding error. Perhaps your code does this?
newRed = red1/4+red2/4+red3/4+red4/4 then banding would occur if the values are integer.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

i would suggest some interpolation/integer problem as well, some insight in the code would help for sure,
since the smooth iteration alone looks very nice, the only reason is left for the banding is how you create your anti alias function wink
so, show us your anti-alias code ... wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
opusGlass
Forums Newbie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the responses!

Now that you mention it I definitely have an int rounding error. The code is a mess because this program is built to draw the mandelbrot as each pixel escapes via threading, which produces a nice effect but requires a lot of data storage--and I was storing the color of each escaping sub-pixel as an int, hence the error.

Once I get the program fixed I'll post some new pics! Btw, how do you guys normally upload pics/videos/programs? I feel like using imgur is slightly noobish.

EDIT: I got it working! And I added saving and loading so I can continue to iterate an image at any time. This one's at 11000 iterations so far.
http://i.imgur.com/Wl7qTF1.jpg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:52:19 PM by opusGlass » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: