Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 08:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: dot-to-dot ifs animation  (Read 2083 times)
phtolo
Navigator

« on: February 24, 2013, 09:29:11 PM »

Hello everyone!

Here's an animation I've been working on for some time.
Formula is basically the chaos game ifs, but instead of randomly picking any new target point, the points are structured in a list and only the neighbouring points can be picked.
Thus the dot-to-dot.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YmvRUNQCyZU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YmvRUNQCyZU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »

nice and straight animation, hello and welcome to the forums, can you aleaborate a little more ?!

what do you mean by target point ?! you have assigned your keyframes in a grid/tree structure and choose the next animation target by walking the tree ...

... or have you modified the ifs formula selection? your description leaves me thinking that you choose the transformations this way, but your animation rather looks like animation params are choosen this way

incorporate some nonlinear stuff as described in the flame paper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_flame

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »

Some of these forms look very interesting, can you just make some high resolution still pics instead?
phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »

@cKleinhuis:
I will try to elaborate, you are indeed correct.

By target point I meant a transformation and was only referring to a single frame.
The formula selection is what I meant with dot-to-dot, the next formula can only be selected from itself and both its neighbours.

This is true for the different targets that the animation slows down around.

For the animations inbetween I use what turns out to be a variant of the fractal flame (thanks for the tip!), the difference being that the weight (w(k)) is dependent on the number of consecutive times that a certain formula has been selected.

@matsoljare:
One of the imageas is attached, tell me if you want any specific one.

* ifs.gif (121.28 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 394 times.)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »

nice, how do you choose the formulas taken, and most of all i am interested in visible differences, isnt it so
that you just produce the weights for the knots this way ?!?!? and one transform that can only be reached after another or so, wouldnt that just come down to propabilities after all ? i am just thinking, because for the fern fractal for example there is one transform with a propability of 0,2% or something, and it is still affecting the outcome, so, hmm, how could we examine the behaviour ?!?!?

---

phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »

Formulas are chosen using the simplest method possible, p=1/3 to go back one formula, p=1/3 to stay on the current one and p=1/3 to go to the next formula.
You could see it as the probability of some of the points are reduced to zero depending on which formula was chosen last.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »

interesting approach, anything you have to play with for us ?? smiley

---

phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »

Managed to make some of the fractals using the Xaos tab in Apophysis.

(Sorry for zip-file, .flame files seems to be locked)

* flame.zip (2.54 KB - downloaded 160 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: