Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 05:58:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3D Laser Induced Damage Image  (Read 1521 times)
Description: Quasi-Fuchsian Fractal example shown in paper
Apophyster
Conqueror

« on: February 06, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »

I wonder if folks interested in presenting 3D fractals with real world materials have heard of the technique in the subject line.
I happened to see a paper (pdf) recently titled "Materializing 3D Quasi-Fuchsian Fractals":
www.scipress.org/journals/forma/pdf/2101/21010019.pdf

There is one photo in the paper (about 2/3 of the way down the document) which shows an example of this type of 3d rendering.  Essentially a laser is used to create precisely located fractures in a solid piece of glass.  I would imagine the cost is quite high to produce these "Images" in glass.

I suppose some folks here may already be aware of this technique.  However, long time lurkster that I am, I don't recall seeing this "controlled damage" technique mentioned here earlier. smiley
So I brought the subject up because I'm certain the it would be of interest to people already experimenting with "printing" 3d fractals, at least for future reference.

Rice, wheat and corn make the world go round.
Love and money are just passengers.
Friendliness is the destination.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »

Excellent paper, thanks for the link! I had never heard about this Laser Induced Damage technique.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »

http://www.bathsheba.com/crystal/
 wink
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »

Excellent...and quite affordable. She's everywhere wink

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Apophyster
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:48:47 AM »

I saw the paper a while ago and didn't search for other info, so thanks to knighty for doing that "homework" for me.  grin
It appears that bathsheba has some acquaintance with shapeways too, which is mentioned at the bottom of this page:
http://bathsheba.com/bio/tusk/

Maybe in the future a way to melt rather than fracture glass will be developed so that better curved surfaces can be formed, although I would imagine that's pretty far down the line.  Maybe not though - 3D printing seems to have developed at a fairly rapid pace.

Rice, wheat and corn make the world go round.
Love and money are just passengers.
Friendliness is the destination.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: