Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 09:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber - problem setting detail and smoothness for a keyframe  (Read 473 times)
erstwhile
Alien

@backtracemusic
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:56:34 AM »

Hi -
I just started using Mandelbulber this week (v1.12 for Mac) and I'm having this problem: I've rendered a series of keyframes for animation (about 12) and to do a test animation, I had the detail, DE step and smoothness all set to 1.  I'd now like to do a hi-res animation, render, so I set the detail and smoothness to 2 and the DE Step down to 0.3, but when I select another keyframe it resets my detail / smoothness / DE Step parameters. 

I thought maybe these values are stored in the keyframes.fract files so I looked in them but could not find a parameter that matched those settings. 

Where would I be able to make the parameter change stick without having to regenerate all of the keyframes?

Thanks.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:30 AM »

At first glance, the answer is simple:
Those parameters are animated just like almost any other float parameter in mandelbulber. So you'll have to change in every single keyframe and save back...

A little hint from me. Such dull repeating changes are easiely made with a text editor or a batch replacement tool ("far" works on windows). Keyframe-Files - like every fract file - are saved in clear language. grin 

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »

just found this in related topics. Somewhat old, but maybe useful for mac as well.
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=5217.0

erstwhile
Alien

@backtracemusic
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »

Thanks taurus66 - I opened the keyframe.fract and settings files in a text editor and I've been able to find my way around them pretty easily - and in some cases, I can see where if I set the detail or smoothness differently between keyframes, the values are interpolated across frames as the animation rendering moves from one to the next.

Problem is, I can't find anything that matches "smooth" or "detail" when searching the files.

If I stop rendering, and change these values, say from "1" to "2", then when I start rendering animations from keyframes again, the value gets reset to "1".

Could these keys be stored under a different name?  

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:21:36 PM by erstwhile » Logged
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »

Problem is, I can't find anything that matches "smooth" or "detail" when searching the files.
smoothness is smoothness in fract file, except when set to 1. Then it doesn't appear, because it's the default value.
"detail level" is "quality" in fract file, except when set to 1...

If I stop rendering, and change these values, say from "1" to "2", then when I start rendering animations from keyframes again, the value gets reset to "1".
You need to save back to keyframe file after changing. I do this by "save settings", just like an ordinary fractal parameter file. should also be possible with "record" in timeline, but I never did, so no advise from me.

erstwhile
Alien

@backtracemusic
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »

I just loaded all 40 of my keyframes into Sublime text and did some global search and replace and saw that yes, the "smoothness" parameter only shows up in a few of them when I change the value away from 1. 

Mystery solved.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: