Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Exported Mandelbulb3D Geometry and rendered in 3D landscape software VUE  (Read 1715 times)
Description: Convertion of fractal geo via voxelslices for other 3D programs
MatzeR
Forums Freshman

« on: January 02, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »

Hi there,
I've just registered in this forum and this is my first topic. I hope I do everything well. If not, please report me. (I'm learning fast  grin )

I'm a 3D artist since the 90s and when I saw the 3D mandelbulb for the first time (several month ago) I'm looking for a satisfying solution to get this freeky geometry somehow combined with the content of other 3D programs. So here is my latest try:

In mandelbulb3d I've exported voxel slices, combined them to a geometry again in ImageJ, reduced the polycount in meshlab, cleand and optimized the geo in 3dsmax and maya and textured and rendered it in vue. A making of of that process is in the 2nd part of the video.

My conclusion after this study is, that this was not the best way because:
- In the first frame (from far away) I have a resolution of 1 polygon per pixel. But when I get closer the fractal effect gets lost, because the resolution is baked in the geometry - which is not very fractal like.
- So I tried to get the resolution back by using the fractal textures from vue (eon software). These are great for natural fractals like stone cliffs but not of the same formula like the geometry from mandelbulb. So the overall effect of this nice geometry gets somehow lost.
- And getting a clean usable mesh out of the voxel slices was hard work (original geo was 16 mil. polygons), I prefer to let the cpu do boring jobs for me and concentrate myself on the creative part.

So next thing I will try is to render the geo directly in mandelbulb3d an track the piece via 3d motion tracker to get the camera information out of it and reuse this in another 3D program. Suspense continues!

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=56594660&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=56594660&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

If this was the wrong section to post this, please let me know.

Have fun with the clip...
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:07:54 AM »

hello and welcome to the forums, amazing project you work on there, if you havent seen the news#5 of chaosTV the contest this year submission period
starts at 1st of may, i am going shortly announcing the contest rules, be sure to hold something back to be entered in the contest because previously released stuff may be disqualified ( if we get known  of it ... )

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:10:01 AM »

additionally, take a look at mandelbulber, this one can export 3d information and various image channels for a 3d render, this can then be used to stitch in polygonal geometry in a post work step....

---

MatzeR
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 02:10:06 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I already have mandelbulber installed, but didn't took a closer look to the export options - yet. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Unseen productions for the contest ... good to know. I've only seen the Chaos-news till #4   Azn

1st of may - yep that's good incentive
 joy
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:30:03 AM »

like share comment ( in that order cheesy )

---

eiffie
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »

Love it! Keep experimenting.
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »

Looks great

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: