Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 07:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: fractal dimension project - country borders as digital data ?!  (Read 1543 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: December 02, 2012, 03:08:13 AM »

hello, i would love to classify countries by their fractal dimension, at least this would be the main purpose for my little fractal dimension box counting program

the problem here is, from where do i get high resolution maps of each country ?!?!?

google maps has basically it, but i am unfamillar on how to color a country with a decent color and get a high resolution file to download

vector formats would be as well perfect ...

any hints for where to get such?!?!  huh? huh? huh?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:00:17 AM »

the SRTM shuttle data offers land/water masks as ESRI shape files, as far as I remember. This is vector data. It is restricted to -60 to +60 degrees latitude, so the northern European countries are not fully covered (forget about those Fjords, then...)

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:24:03 AM »

do you have a link !? i think i have to get a good book with country borders and scan them in by myself sad

norway - the great country of slartibartfass - needs to be in the analysis wink because this is best to compare it lybia-england-norway wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SWBD/

See documentation folder for details.

The data is grouped in tiles of fixed dimension in latitude/longitude (in WGS84 GPS coordinates), which will also cut larger countries into several tiles. Also it contains lakes and rivers inside the countries. If you need to analyze individual countries, this data set becomes much harder to piece back together and to analyze by country. You need to use another dataset containing the country outlines, so you will be only looking at the coast lines for one country at a time  -and be sure to ignore any borders to neighboring countries (e.g. along rivers) in order not to mess up your fractal dimension.

You probably need some reader or converter for the ESRI shapefile format, too. There are C++ libraries to read the vector data directly.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:44:26 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: