Logo by wmauzey - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 02:32:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractured: Yet Another Fractal Renderer (WebGL + WebCL)  (Read 3473 times)
Ozone
Forums Newbie

« on: November 30, 2012, 01:40:56 PM »

So this is my first post here, howdy all.
I wrote this WebGL and WebCL fractal studio, it's 2d only for now, as I've tended to be more interested in making art with 2d fractals thus far.

Worked on it for quite a while now (on and off over a few years since WebGL was new), I kind of wrote it to do what I wanted then after that started trying to make it usable for a wider audience - then feature creep and perfectionism took over and it took forever to approach a finished(ish) state.

Anyway here it is, interested in any feedback or bugs you might find.

http://fractured.ozone.id.au

Obviously requires a WebGL capable browser and preferably a decent GPU.
The WebCL support is optional, and only works using the Nokia Firefox plugin: http://webcl.nokiaresearch.com/
It's not as fast as WebGL mode, but does support double precision for deeper zooms (but only if your GPU supports double precision!)
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »

Hi,

Looking good - these web apps keep getting more and more sophisticated!

A few issues:
- I tried WebCL, (Firefox 17/Windows 7/Latest Nokia plugin), but it fails with WebCL::CreateContextFromType Failed with error -2. Nokias own demos dont work either, so this is probably Nokias fault (OpenCL works on this machine).
- I couldn't run your app in Chrome on Windows, even with Angle disabled (page times out during load)
- I couldn't pan in Firefox - RMB+Drag does nothing.
Ozone
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »

Hi Syntopia, thanks for checking it out!

- I tried WebCL, (Firefox 17/Windows 7/Latest Nokia plugin), but it fails with WebCL::CreateContextFromType Failed with error -2. Nokias own demos dont work either, so this is probably Nokias fault (OpenCL works on this machine).
- I couldn't run your app in Chrome on Windows, even with Angle disabled (page times out during load)
- I couldn't pan in Firefox - RMB+Drag does nothing.

Hmm, yeah I agree sounds like a problem with the WebCL plugin combined with your OpenCL drivers, I'll have to test on some more platforms as I've only extensively tested WebCL support with the NVidia drivers. Are you using GPU or CPU OpenCL, do you know which drivers?

2nd problem is not something I've hit on before either, I'll have to do some more testing, which Chrome version is it? Did you try without Angle disabled too or only with it turned off?

Lastly the pan is only usable when you un-check "fit to window" and set the size to render a fractal larger than the window, it isn't actually a feature to change the rendered domain, just for scrolling the view window.

Thanks for the bug reports, much appreciated.
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »

Hi Syntopia, thanks for checking it out!

Hmm, yeah I agree sounds like a problem with the WebCL plugin combined with your OpenCL drivers, I'll have to test on some more platforms as I've only extensively tested WebCL support with the NVidia drivers. Are you using GPU or CPU OpenCL, do you know which drivers?

I restarted my machine, and now I could run the the demo and it worked fine. But after switching between WebGL / WebCL a couple of times, I start getting the createContextErrors.

2nd problem is not something I've hit on before either, I'll have to do some more testing, which Chrome version is it? Did you try without Angle disabled too or only with it turned off?

23.0.1271.95 (Official Build 169798) m
I just tried with Angle, and here it works! But with "--use-gl=desktop" it never loads the page.
Ozone
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »

I restarted my machine, and now I could run the the demo and it worked fine. But after switching between WebGL / WebCL a couple of times, I start getting the createContextErrors.

Update: looks like my WebCL implementation is a bit buggy, I didn't have many platforms to test on so really just got it working on NVidia. Should have it working on other platforms soon.

23.0.1271.95 (Official Build 169798) m
I just tried with Angle, and here it works! But with "--use-gl=desktop" it never loads the page.

After spending a bit of time looking into this it seems disabling Angle on Chrome no longer works. Any WebGL demo I've tried with a recent version just hangs as soon as it tries to get a WebGL context.
I've reported it through the "Report an issue" button for what it's worth.
iloveportalz0r
Forums Newbie

Moustaches are cool

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »

Hey, that's pretty cool. Much better than the one I've been working on!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: