Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 10:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Shapeways for 3D printed fractals  (Read 47093 times)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »

Great !  A Beer Cup A Beer Cup
Thanks A Beer Cup

Same here, it looks really neat wink However it has got a color problem on the other side. There is a small "silverish" area, I guess due to to the infusing process, not sure of the details. I'll contact customer service to see if this is normal.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »

Great work getting those thin wires to print.
Lovely objects too!  A Beer Cup

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »

Been busy with many new 3D prints in different materials. Here's just one pic, this one is in gold plated brass.

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2013, 02:38:25 PM »

Wow, looks classy! grin
quat-julia or what?

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »

Thanks, Mr. taurus! Of course, Julia Quat smiley

One more pic. I designed this trophy that was the given as a prize to the winner of a mathematical literature contest. The object is made of an alloy of steel and bronze and is about 10cm in diameter.

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »

This one is in brass, hand polished. It's 2cm big.
5 iterations.The small holes are 0.4mm in diameter.

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2013, 02:07:25 AM »

very nice, favourite would be the Julia Quat. They seem to be getting better and better. smiley
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »

Thanks mclarekin!

And now with color printer!

tomot
Iterator

« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2014, 12:54:10 AM »

It maybe appropriate to revive this topic  wink

I goggled voxel to obj today which came up with the following:

http://voxel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Import%20Export&referringTitle=Home

has anyone tried to produce OBJ files of fractals from Voxels created in MD3 using this program?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2014, 01:19:27 PM »

It maybe appropriate to revive this topic  wink

I goggled voxel to obj today which came up with the following:

http://voxel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Import%20Export&referringTitle=Home

has anyone tried to produce OBJ files of fractals from Voxels created in MD3 using this program?

Making fractal obj files is my favorite way to play with fractals!

This thread is dedicated to the subject, even if it is a bit old it still has a lot to offer : http://www.fractalforums.com/tutorials/voxel-image-stack-and-then-what/

I have since lost my website  (Thank the economy for that!) so many of my images are missing from that thread   cry  but some remain.

I use Carrara rather than Blender, but the obj files work in any 3D Package you like.

Had a look at Magic Voxel and couldn't get started - my voxel stacks are all png and it only takes tga.  I know I could convert, but fiji does the job with ease, so I'll stick with that for now.

I wont post images in this thread as it's meant for physical objects, but here's a mandelbulb being dropped on a Cow's head in Carrara : http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/cowbulb_zpsbec7bc40.gif  and my favorite still I did using fractal obj files : http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=9736

If you need it, fiji can be had here:  http://fiji.sc/wiki/index.php/Downloads

Have fun and feel free to post your results in our gallery   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
tomot
Iterator

« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2014, 02:06:09 AM »

I have since lost my website  (Thank the economy for that!) so many of my images are missing from that thread   cry  but some remain.
Sorry to hear that. I started a blog at Blogger.com, Their is not cost.  Starting a web page is very simple, with a large number of styles to choose from. I store images for free at Picasa with links to my Blogger web pages, the same with AVI links to You tube.  And you can access the entire process through your single Gmail account login. smiley
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »

Sorry to hear that. I started a blog at Blogger.com, Their is not cost.  Starting a web page is very simple, with a large number of styles to choose from. I store images for free at Picasa with links to my Blogger web pages, the same with AVI links to You tube.  And you can access the entire process through your single Gmail account login. smiley

Thanks for the thought, but I can't use free sites as I do a lot of work for Naughty Adult Sites, and I have never seen a free site which allows Naughtiness   devil

Plus...  I sort of ...  Boycott google.  I even lost my youtube account over that and now use Vimeo.

So...  Have you had any luck with Magic Voxel, or tried Fiji?

MV looks like it may eventually be a great tool but is still too early in it's development.  I've had great luck with Fiji myself.

I wonder if the folks making these great 3D Prints would care to detail the process they use to get their voxel stacks into 3D file formats?  Gotta try and bring this back on topic so we don't get accused of hijacking the thread to say bad things about google!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
tomot
Iterator

« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »

So...  Have you had any luck with Magic Voxel, or tried Fiji?

Its on my to do list... hopefully today! I also found a great you tube video on this subject

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kpu-DZs9HXU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Kpu-DZs9HXU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »

Some time ago someone asked about experiences with 3D printing, so I wanted to share mine.

In order to generate the geometry I wrote a small Java-program, the uses Marching Cubes to generate polygons from a distance field. Using distance fields makes it possible to get a better tesselation than using a boolean 'isInside' function. Since my Marching Cube implementation never needs to store more than two 'slices' in memory at the same time, there is really no limit to the number of polygons I can create this way (at least not if I save them directly to disk). I wrote a simple OBJ exporter, and an even simpler binary STL exporter, because the OBJ files grew terrible large.

But then I realized that Shapeways only allow maximum 1M polygons. So I needed to remesh my 5-10M polygon files. I tried different remeshing tools, most of which did not work, and/or produced strange artifacts. In the end I settled for Meshlab's "Quadratic Edge Collapse Detection" to reduce the polygon count, with some further cleanup in Netfabb - this was based on suggestions found on the Shapeway website. I think there must be better ways to this though - I was not impressed by the quality of the resulting mesh.

Next step was uploading to Shapeways. After ordering a print I got the a mail saying my objects could not be printed because of too fine detail. Well, there is an option to 'print anyways', which I used, and I could not see any problems with my objects.

Here is my models on Shapeways:
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/syntopia

And here is an image of the final physical Mandelbulb:

I had hoped for a bit more detail, but it seemed hard to squeeze in. I also hollowed out the Mandelbulb to reduce production cost.

One interesting thing, I noticed was that Shapeways was much less picky about input formats than I expected. I had heard that input objects had to be watertight, 2-manifold, orientable, non-overlapping, and what not, but that does not seem to be the case. I tried uploading one of my old Structure Synth OBJ exports (which are really just a 'polygons soup'), and Shapeways did not complain.

Now, I do plan to explore this topic a bit more, and probably release a version of my meshing tool which can be used by other people than myself. Currently, it is only possible to build a mesh based on a distance function specified in Java (dynamically compiled using Groovy), but I plan to add support for GLSL as well, for faster evaluation on the GPU, and also image dumps from other software.

But if somebody have any tricks for improving 3D structure (especially wrt to reducing the number of polygons!) I'd like to hear them.

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »

Nice job! So you can directly export the stl file from fragmentarium or is this a separate program?
As to polygon count reduction, I did not find better than Meshlab's "Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation"

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: