Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 05:55:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: IFS and Minkowski Dimension  (Read 3988 times)
Description: How to calculate Minkowski Dimension from image and IFS
Crucifixio
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:04:11 PM »

I'm writing program to generate fractals using IFS and caluclating Minkowski dimension. I've got question how to calculate Minkowski dimension from Image (2d fractals) using box counting with some Epsilon (size of the box) and how to calculate exact dimension from IFS to find error between count-box dimension and exact dimension from IFS ?
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »

I haven't looked into using box counting to get the fractal dimension but I did search a lot on the internet a while ago for documents on finding the "correct" fractal dimension of a given affine IFS from the transformations and I found:

"A Multifractal Analysis of IFSP Invariant Measures With Application to Fractal Image Generation" by J.M. Gutierrez and A. Iglesias and M.A. Rodrıguez

I found it on the web as "fractals96.pdf".

I highly recommend it as a read (if your maths is up to it) but basically it concludes that for a given IFS:

log(p0)/log(s0) = log(p1)/log(s1) = log(p2)/log(s2) =.... = Constant

where the pn are the (correct) probabilities for the scales sn and Constant is basically the fractal dimension. Normally it's used to get the correct probabilities for a given set of transforms.

The only problem with this is how you decide the scale value to use for transforms that have non-uniform scales.
I basically used the determinant values but other methods may yield better results in some situations (from a rendering point of view) e.g. min or max scale along any one axis.

If you want the document but can't find it then just drop me a line at makinmagic@tiscali.co.uk

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:42:13 AM »

<snip>
...basically it concludes that for a given IFS:

log(p0)/log(s0) = log(p1)/log(s1) = log(p2)/log(s2) =.... = Constant

where the pn are the (correct) probabilities for the scales sn and Constant is basically the fractal dimension. Normally it's used to get the correct probabilities for a given set of transforms.
<snip>

Something interesting just struck me about this - the standard "Measure Theory" version of fractal dimension is dimension=log(new length)/log(old length) so in fact here the probablity is analagous to "new length" and/if the scale is analagous to "old length".

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
paxinum
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

You mean Hausdorff dimension?

Minkowski developed the 4-dimensional 3-space + time used by Einstein in relativity theory...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: