Logo by mario837 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 08:35:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Documentary Collaboration  (Read 1860 times)
georgiafleury
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »

Hi,

Hi,

I am Researcher for a student film crew making a documentary exploring pattern in nature, focusing predominantly on fractals. We are collaborating with physicists, mathematicians and fellow artists to make a documentary that is informative as well as being visually stimulating, to explore the patterns making up the world around us, and to address that fundamental question of the difference between Art and Science.

We are looking for an animator who would be willing to create for us a fractal animation, preferably using the Mandelbrot zoom, that would show visually to an audience uneducated in the world of fractals, the basic idea of what a fractal set is - i.e. an animated illustration of the self similar pattern, zooming into the set.

Would anyone here be interested in working with us? Just having a quick browse on the forum I have already seen some incredible graphics. Ideally we would request a new animation designed specifically for this film, but understand that time constraints may be an issue (deadline is November 16th for animation submissions), and would happily use an already completed animation for use in the film, with your permission.

This is a very exciting project that will help to inform an audience who are unaware of the phenomenon of fractals in nature, we seek to educate, to make others aware of the beauty of the patterns that make up everything around us.

What do you think?

Georgia
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »

In case it's of any interest I have a set of Juiia animations that may be useful i.e. morphing the seed rather than zooming.
They were created a long time ago as background gfx for a self-help video and there are a number of sections that can be pieced together in various orders to make up a much longer whole.
I don't have hi-res renders of them to hand but could quite easily render them quickly given the speed of this beastie I'm typing on wink
Ideally I'd suggest then giving the sections to someone who's good at music and having them piece the sections together along with suitable soundtrack...

You can get an idea of the animations on youtube but the quality is frankly appalling - it was uploaded a long time ago when even youtube were afraid of using too much bandwidth smiley

"Mood swings" - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YlbfYK5YC4o&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YlbfYK5YC4o&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Apologies for the rather poor soundtrack but availability of music on YT five years ago was pretty limited wink

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
stereoman
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »

Hi,
    Do you have an storyboard or any kind of layout of what you want?
    Also it would be necessary to know the exact lenght needed.
    It would be fair to have a briefing of the project in order to decide if it fits to the kind of images each one makes.
    I think anyone interested would need this info.
sinpix
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »

My mandelbrot movie is quite old.. but i have a few mathematic issu that goes in distant relation to it.
express the power of mathematic (WITH) the mandelbrot has movies. A apophysis bee/fly actually could be interest to demonstrate.
ask me if you whant a sight?!
sinpix
Navigator

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »

Best mandelbrot movie maker jackoftradez@comcast.net

http://www.fractal-animation.net/

best animator i never see... usually really fresh on the mandelbrot issu
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:29:11 AM »

We are looking for an animator who would be willing to create for us a fractal animation, preferably using the Mandelbrot zoom, that would show visually to an audience uneducated in the world of fractals, the basic idea of what a fractal set is
Maybe you shouldn't pick the Mandelbrot set, it might be the most well known but it isn't a typical fractal. The black part isn't a fractal at all, nor is the rainbow colouring, and the border has dimension 2 which is unusual in not being fractional.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:30:44 AM by Tglad » Logged
georgiafleury
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »

Sinpix: Yes I would like to see your movie, do you have a link? I have already been in contact with jackoftradez, amazing animator I know!

Tglad: Thanks for that insight. What type of fractal set would you suggest?

Stereoman: Yes I understand it's a very brief brief (....), the director is finalising the documentary "script" so I do not know as yet the exact length of animation required as yet, but will do in the next few days. In terms of the kinds of images, at this stage we are just contacting animators who would like to be involved, who work in this field of animation, and are looking at their work to formulate collaborative ideas of the kind of images we are looking for. We are new to the world of fractals, and are learning with each contact we make about the different kinds of images, hence the vagueness of the description I gave.

David Makin: Beautiful video, do you have a copy in better resolution? We do have musicians working on the sound design, so no worries with that!

Thank you everybody for your interest, very very helpful

G
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:16:39 AM »

You could do a spectrum from artificial looking to natural, e.g.
Linear:
1. Koch curve                           
2. Randomised Koch curve       
3. A real coastline                     

Surface:
1. Koch surface
2. Plasma fractal landscape (e.g. diamond-square algorithm)
3. Real mountains

So people learn that fractals are in nature, not just artificial looking patterns.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:09:37 AM »

Lol tglad wasnt that meant as joke with the mandelbrot set?

Sure the dimension two of the border is confusing when declaring fractal is everything with a broken dimension

BUT isnt that the perfection for a line beeing two dimensional?

I was wondering recently if a line could reach a dimension above two. . .

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 05:05:17 AM »

I didn't mean it as a joke. There might be something perfect about it being 2d, but that doesn't make it a very normal example.
I thought a good way to show the idea of fractals is to look at more normal examples rather than such an unusual one.

You can have a line with fractal dimension > 2 if you're in a 3d or higher topological space. But in a 2d space it would be hard.... I think you could do it over a fixed scale range, but once you've zoomed to the point that the whole surface is filled, the dimension could only be 2 from there on.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

Ok that with the int dimension for the mandelbrot really ticckkled me when preparing the slides for my mexico presentation because on the one slide i said a fractal has a non integer dimension but then i didnt want to confuse the audience with a mandekbrot border has dimension two this would have gotten me into a worse position of talking about space filling curves so i just led the real fractal dimension of our beloved set out smiley

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
stereoman
Fractal Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »

That´s why a storyboard or layout is needed, these concepts must be clear enough before to create matching animations, and this is the designer of project task, I think, or the director task, maybe, in any case, someone who knows what to show and how to show it.
GKStill
Forums Freshman

Prof. Dr. G. Keith Still FIMA FICPEM

Xenofractals XenoFractals
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »

Hi,

I wonder if this may be of interest.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uklvx806qdo&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Uklvx806qdo&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Just one example of the xenofractal (these are akin to living organisms as you can see).

Kind regards,

Keith

Strange Non-Chaotic Attractors
www.Xenofractals.com
hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »

Interesting 3D fractal set.
Xenofractal maybe named pixiefractal or pixieland set because certain Xenofractals was used for render neverland flowers for movie "Peter Pan".
A example exist at the sample fractals in menu for XENODREAM. The sample menue contain "Firefighter machine", "Engine", "Pixieland", "Ifs", "Syerpinsky",
"Menger sponge", "Ufo" etc.
 A peacock
GKStill
Forums Freshman

Prof. Dr. G. Keith Still FIMA FICPEM

Xenofractals XenoFractals
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »

Hi,

XENODREAM is a different system and my algorithms are not based on the same principle.

It's neither a pixie fractal or a pixieland set.

Xenofractals were never published (although I did correspond with both Arthur C. Clarke and Benoit Mandelbrot on these).

The first demo version of my work (then called the Orchid Fractals) appeared on the Cover Disk of PC World and Focus Magazine back in 1992-1994.

Thanks for the links though.

Regards,

Keith

Strange Non-Chaotic Attractors
www.Xenofractals.com
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: