Logo by chaos_crystal - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 07:04:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb Hologram Glasses  (Read 2144 times)
Description: ah yeah
salvatorin
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:39 AM »

Hi. I've been a lurker here since the mandelbulb was born. I love that thing. It is a beast that jus keeps on growing. It's slowly but surely injecting it's way into underground culture. Lately hologram glasses (a la aliens and pot leafs and peace signs) have been going through a revival of some sort.

I want to make a pair of circle frame sunglasses with a 3d mandelbulb hovering in my eyes. It would be so awesome. People would be like "WOAH what is THAT!" and one more person would know about the almighty mandelbulb. I think I have found a company that will make custom hologram glasses, I have to ascertain this though. Either way, I'm guessing I will need to give the company some sort of 3d file with a little mandelbulb in it. I'm not even an amateur with 3d graphics, just an admirer. How would I go about doing this, ie. what file format (i'm asking the company)...maybe someone here could just send me a mandelbulb.
Thanks,
-salvatorin
fractower
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:50:34 AM »

That is really cool. I can produce an STL file of the bulb, though I suspect that one already exists at Shapways.com. A lot of people make their models downloadable. If you don't find one there let me know.
salvatorin
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »

That is really cool. I can produce an STL file of the bulb, though I suspect that one already exists at Shapways.com. A lot of people make their models downloadable. If you don't find one there let me know.
My correspondent with the company is asking for a jpeg file, I don't think he understood my inquiry, there is a bit of a language barrier. I just sent a message explaining it in a little more detail, maybe this will work. Either way, maybe I'm getting in over my head. Does anyone here know what is required to make a hologram (a virtual one, or real one)?
edit: I looked on shapeways and their mandelbulbs were fairly meh. An STL file of a power-8-mandelbulb would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:32:55 AM by salvatorin » Logged
salvatorin
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 05:15:45 AM »

Okay...the guy didn't understand, he just accepted a mandelbulb jpeg and gave me a price quote (minimum order 300 at 2.5$ a pair, lol) So that option is gone. But this idea won't die! It is too good.
fractower
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »

Bummer.

Shapeways limits the number of triangles in a model which causes the bulbs to lose a lot of detail. I produced a ~5M triangle model of an 8th order bulb. I cannot post it here, but if you still plan to pursue the glasses I can probably email it to you. 

This is a stereogram of the model. My openGL viewer is somewhat primitive. I suspect the hologram SW will offer more lighting and color options.

* te.jpg (87.35 KB, 1173x590 - viewed 302 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: