Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 28, 2024, 07:34:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Charles says "Hi"  (Read 8373 times)
Charleswehner
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:44:57 PM »

Hello. This is Charles Douglas Wehner.

After Benoit Mandelbrot popularized the set of fractal graphics that began with Gaston Julie's work, I also played around with them.

I generalized the idea to what I call "RECURSION MAPS". In the Mandelbrot Set, there is a plane having a real axis and an unreal axis. Each point on that plane therefore has two co-ordinates. The Mandelbrot Set involves a complex addition, and a complex multiplication (using the two co-ordinates). This is repeated until some arbitrary limit is reached - when the numbers get too big, or the count-down expires. An arbitrary colour is chosen for each of the numbers of times that the addition-multiplication was achieved.

However, the Mandelbrot Set, with its addition and multiplication, is just a subset of all recursion maps. I played around, for example, with Euler's GAMMA FUNCTION. I allowed a number to be turned into the gamma of the gamma of the gamma until the process had to stop. This also produced interesting pattern. Unfortunately, I no longer have them.

Putting other functions inside a recursion system should therefore allow a whole new world of machine art to arrive.

I have much to do, and do not know how much I will be able to contribute. However, I will bear it in mind.

As for the images that are already on display - yes! A very high standard for such a new site.

Charles Douglas Wehner
heneganj
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »

Welcome to the forums Charles!
alan2here
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 01:08:39 PM »

Welcome
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:17:25 PM »

Hello.   This is Charles Douglas Wehner.
    After Benoit Mandelbrot popularized the set of fractal graphics that began with Gaston Julie's work, I also played around with them.
    I generalized the idea to what I call "RECURSION MAPS".   In the Mandelbrot Set, there is a plane having a real axis and
    an unreal axis.   Each point on that plane therefore has two co-ordinates.   The Mandelbrot Set involves a complex addition,
    and a complex multiplication (using the two co-ordinates).   This is repeated until some arbitrary limit is reached - when the
    numbers get too big, or the count-down expires.   An arbitrary colour is chosen for each of the numbers of times that the
    addition-multiplication was achieved.
    However, the Mandelbrot Set, with its addition and multiplication, is just a subset of all recursion maps.   I played around, for
    example, with Euler's GAMMA FUNCTION.   I allowed a number to be turned into the gamma of the gamma of the gamma until
    the process had to stop.   This also produced interesting pattern.   Unfortunately, I no longer have them.
    Putting other functions inside a recursion system should therefore allow a whole new world of machine art to arrive.
    I have much to do, and do not know how much I will be able to contribute.   However, I will bear it in mind.
    As for the images that are already on display - yes!   A very high standard for such a new site.

Greetings, and welcome to this particular forum !!!    cheesy

I would be very much interested in seeing some of your images, if they are available for display on the Internet.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:11:21 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

alan2here
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »

Greetings, Charles !!  I would be very much interested in seeing some of your images, if they are available for display on the Internet.

Just as I was going to say
Charleswehner
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 03:48:01 PM »

You asked to see my results. Tragically, I no longer have them. Those few things I have are standard Mandelbrot - and not up to "Forum Standard".

However, there is a contribution I can add.

You may have heard that Arthur C. Clark, who invented the geostationary broadcasting satellite and wrote "2001, a Space Odyssey", made Mandelbrot images that were ANIMATED. The fine detail sparkled when the colours changed.

This, and other variants on the theme of animation can be accomplished with a simple DOS tool.

I give it away here: http://www.wehner.org/tools/animate

Thousands of people have already fetched it over the years. However, I have not seen any "Fractal Movies" apart from those of Clark.

Charles
alan2here
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 05:47:52 PM »

www.ultrafractal.com
http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=fractals
http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=flame+fractals

There are lots of animations around.
Charleswehner
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 06:07:54 PM »

alan2here wrote "There are lots of animations around".

Fair comment. However, as a newbie I had not properly explored the forum to see what is available. I remembered the Clark images, but had not seen more.

It still does not alter my offer of free GIF animation software (for IBM DOS) at http://wehner.org/tools/animate

Sometimes an animated piece of art can be used for "corporate image" on a website. GIF has been around for so long, that all modern browsers support it.

Charles
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 11:16:50 PM »

Charles Douglas Wehner wrote:
>
>    You asked to see my results.  Tragically, I no longer have
>    them.  Those few things I have are standard Mandelbrot -
>    and not up to "Forum Standard".

Yes, that is too bad you no longer have them.  I guess the enjoyment now will be to explore some of the fractal applications now available (there are many which are FREEWARE) and try creating something new for yourself.

>
>    You may have heard that Arthur C. Clark, who invented
>    the geostationary broadcasting satellite and wrote "2001,
>    a Space Odyssey", made Mandelbrot images that were
>    ANIMATED.  The fine detail sparkled when the colours
>    changed.

Yes, I have both a VHS and a DVD copy of the video that gets shown every now and then on the Public Broadcasting Stations:  "Fractals: The Colors of Infinity" (1997).  This 52-minute video has Dr. Arthur C. Clarke chronicling the 1980 discovery by Dr. Benoit Mandelbrot.  Clarke explores this discovery's impact on the world of mathematics (fractal geometry) - with the help of Dr. Mandelbrot, Prof. Stephen Hawking, Dr. Michael Barnsley and Prof. Ian Stewart.  It is set to a musical score by David Gilmour of the rock group Pink Floyd, and has vibrant computer graphics to help the audience visualize the M-set and illustrate its infinite complexity.

>
>    .....a simple DOS tool.   I give it away here:
>      http://www.wehner.org/tools/animate/

Thank you for making this tool available to everyone that reads this Forum !!

Charleswehner
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 09:18:13 PM »

That was a very informed comment on the "Colors of Infinity".

Fifteen to twenty years ago, I wrote a Qbasic program which I called "Almondbread" - an English translation of the word "Mandelbrot" (har, har, har).

It displayed in QVGA (320 by 240), by plotting two dots to the same place on screen, and two rows to each row. The colours were limited on screen, but one could see the pattern. The file on disk was VGA (640 by 480), and 256 colours. The starting co-ordinates and a number such as 0 or 1 were dumped into the picture area (bottom left) to keep a record.

When the BMP file (which I renamed as something like MBM -Mandelbrot bitmap) was loaded into Almondbread, a small cursor of 32 by 24 dots on screen (negative video) appeared. This could be moved with the arrow keys, and ENTER could be pressed. Almondbread would now make a tenfold enlargement of the chosen area. That, in turn, could be used for a hundredfold enlargement and so on. All because of the few corrupted bytes carrying the parameters.

One could, of course, make another enlargement just one screen-dot out of place, and then join images together so that even the corrupted bytes were covered.

This was the tool I used for the Gamma-function images. It was very, very slow - particularly with the slow processors of those times. Often, like most fractal enthusiasts, I would leave the computer running for weeks. However, being Basic, it allowed any mathematical function to be put inside the recursion loop. There was even a Quick-Basic compiler that was Qbasic compatible, so if I had got myself the compiler I could have made a stand-alone EXE.

Last night (Sunday, 15 October 2006) I tried out FRACTINT. This is because I do not want to "reinvent the wheel". I also searched my belongings in the hope of finding Almondbread. No luck yet.

For years I have been toying with the idea of making a high-speed RECURSION LANGUAGE that would run in fixed-point, and accept polynomials. The general idea is that a script would be written (TEMPLATE.REC or PROGRAM.REC), and RECURSE.COM would compile into itself the set of machine-code macros (with no CALLS) that would generate the image. Because I have limited tools, it would have to be a DOS command - but an icon could be used, and clicked from Windows (as with my LEN, ANNA and other programs). So a window opens for DOS, the program needs no parameters - they are in the template - and then it closes.

I conceived the fractional factorials for three reasons:

(1) When you use a pocket calculator, and input the number 3 followed by the exclamation mark, it gives 6 - the factorial. However, if you input 3, divide by 10 (giving 0.3), multiply by 10 (giving 3) and then an exclamation mark, it says "ERROR". A needless error-halt. This is because 0.3 is 0.0100110011001100110011' in binary and the registers are too small for an infinite sequence. So the number 0.29999999999999 is rounded up and only looks like 0.3. Similarly, 2.9999999999999 only looks like 3. The factorial program will not accept fractions on a calculator, but the "fRactorial" program will.

(2) To integrate X cubed, you divide by 4 and raise the power by 1 - giving one-quarter X to the fourth. To differentiate, you divide by 3 and lower the power by 1, giving 3 X-squared. I changed this to integration by 3!/4! X-to-the-fourth and differentiation by 3!/2! X-squared. They are functionally identical. However, given the fractional factorials one can half-integrate or half-differentiate by plugging in fractional factorials instead of integer factorials. So the processof calculus becomes a continuum - that is my Eucalculus (on my website). Sines and cosines, for example, can be partially integrated or partially differentiated by working on the polynomial.

(3) Factorial 3 is 6. Gamma 4 is 6. Did Euler make a mistake? Why is the Gamma function incompatible with the factorials? On a calculator, one needs two buttons. This does not make sense. I suggested my fractional factorials because they can be used for factorials - even when one has 2.9999999999999 giving  5.9999999999999, and for gamma by taking 4, subtract 1, and do fractorials. Both functions from the same button. These things are used for Bessel functions and the like.

After I published, a mathematician friend said that the Russians are tending to give up gamma in favour of fractional factorials.

There is my information on Euler and the Eucalculus at http://wehner.org/euler and on machine-code mathematics at http://wehner.org/fpoint .

I also explored the Gamma function in the complex plane, as did Weierstrass. Here is a remarkable generalisation:

For any polynomial of the form A + BZ + CZ-squared + DZ-cubed etc., there will be symmetry about the X-axis. This is not just true for Mandelbrot but for all transcendental functions. Just try working out with Z=X+iY and with Z=X-iY the terms Z, Z-squared, Z-cubed etc, and you can see the symmetry.

I was using a Chebychev polynomial in "Almondbread", that polynomial having been created for the range 0 to 3. I could move down or up the X-axis (1.5! is 0.5! times 1.5) but not up or down the imaginary Y. So the special polynomial made this possible.

I remember the images. There were five regions in the plane where "blobs" appeared. I may yet try to recreate them.

Charles

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 10:11:29 PM »

Charles Douglas Wehner wrote:
>
>    Fifteen to twenty years ago, I wrote a Qbasic program
>    which I called "Almondbread"....

The name is very familiar to many, since I believe it has been used by other people in creating fractal generators.  One of them was a Michael R. Ganss <ganss@novedia.de> <rms@cs.tu-berlin.de> that made one for running on UNIX systems, though I am not sure his website is still active:  http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~rms/AlmondBread/
But it is still available here:  http://www.Nahee.com/spanky/pub/fractals/programs/unix/almondbread-0_22_tar.gz

Also, Michael Bhnisch wrote a program for Amiga systems called "Apfelkiste" using both C and Assembler.

>
>    Last night (Sunday, 15 October 2006) I tried out FRACTINT.
>    This is because I do not want to "reinvent the wheel".

Did you get the latest Developer's version from:  http://www.FractInt.org/
This would be the 20.4.04 version level.

>
>    I also searched my belongings in the hope of finding
>    Almondbread.   No luck yet.

Well, I wish you luck if you pursue your search.  It would be interesting to see what you had written back then.

>
>    I was using a Chebychev polynomial in "Almondbread",
>    that polynomial having been created for the range 0 to 3.
>    I could move down or up the X-axis (1.5! is 0.5! times 1.5)
>    but not up or down the imaginary Y.  So the special
>    polynomial made this possible.

Before you get really involved with using FractInt, you may wish to download some of the various .FRM (forumla files) that have been collected into a single large file:  
    http://www.Nahee.com/PNL/OrgForm.html
There are several interesting Chebychev formulae to be found.

>
>    I remember the images.  There were five regions
>    in the plane where "blobs" appeared.  I may yet try
>    to recreate them.

Looking forward to whatever you find and/or create.    smiley
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:51:37 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Charleswehner
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »

Nahee_Enterprises wrote:

>  The name is very familiar to many, since I believe it has been
>  used by other people in creating fractal generators.

Yes, today, everybody will know the name of Mandelbrot - and many will have translated it to other languages such as to "Amandepain" in French (what a painful joke).

http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~rms/AlmondBread/

You were right. That address has gone. The Technical University is now at http://iv.tu-berlin.de/ but the rms/Almondbread file is not there. The other address does download a Zip file though. It is 406,431 bytes.

>  "Apfelkiste"

Apple crate.

>  Did you get the latest Developer's version from:  http://www.fractint.org/
>  This would be the 20.4.04 version level

I got Version 20 - advertised as the latest, but did not study the suffices. Because of the "learning curve" problem - spending too much time learning the details of other peoples' tools - I may give up on it. The program crashed after every file I made, so I had to reload it every time. The results were much like my own, many years ago. However, such things as cycling through the colours (spectacular) are features I myself never programmed (no time). There was an impressive list of contributors. However, I am not sure that every possible kind of fornula may be entered.

So I am thinking of starting from absolute basics - writing in assembler from "ground zero".

I spent several hours looking for the old program last night (again), but have decided to give up. Assembler it has to be.

>  Before you get really involved with using FractInt, you may wish to download
>  some of the various .FRM (forumla files) that have been collected into a single large file: 

Yes, I have my own formulae at http://wehner.org/fpoint - however, I will be examining this site carefully because it may give me clues as to whether FRACTINT can be programmed the way I want. I like the bizarre fractal background of that page - very chintzy.

Charles

GFWorld
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 03:32:29 PM »

Charles wrote > You were right. That address has gone. The Technical University is now at http://iv.tu-berlin.de/ but the rms/Almondbread file is not there ...

Hi Charles and Paul,

"Almondbread" - I had a look yesterday at different german websites sites, tu.berlin too, archives here etc. but at last without any good result too.
Chebychev, I like these formula too , some are on my site with different programs.

> http://www.Nahee.com/PNL/OrgForm.html :-))) - I had a try here ... gtc45 & UF ...

Whatever we create with these wonderful formulas is individual but I think its a wonderful place at last to start from :-)))
I attach the file.

Comment here whenever its not the correct place :-)
Paul  - there was a lot of beautiful work incl. latest * XD Firework * I could see and admire here the last days - wonderful, all my compliments ! smiley

Margit

Chebyfile here free for use/using ...
UF_gtc45 {
fractal:
  title="UF_gtc45" width=2730 height=2048 layers=1
  credits="MS;10/18/2006"
layer:
  caption="Layer 1" opacity=100
mapping:
  center=-0.62713878156195/-2.2121162415e-6 magn=1100.5748
  angle=75.9218
formula:
  maxiter=2500 filename="GFPTCH.frm" entry="gtc45" f_fn1=ident
  p_p1=4/2
inside:
  transfer=linear repeat=no
outside:
  density=0.25 transfer=exp filename="standard.ucl"
  entry="GaussianInteger" p_inttype="round(z)"
  p_colorby="angle \@ min" p_norm=none p_fac=2.0/1.0 f_normfunc=ident
  p_randomize=no p_randomsize=0.1/0 p_logseed=0.1
gradient:
  smooth=yes rotation=-100 index=1 color=0 index=11 color=14211288
  index=23 color=0 index=32 color=14211288 index=33 color=0 index=55
  color=14211288 index=69 color=0 index=82 color=14211288 index=93
  color=0 index=113 color=14211288 index=114 color=0 index=126
  color=14211288 index=143 color=0 index=152 color=14211288 index=170
  color=0 index=183 color=14211288 index=206 color=0 index=216
  color=14211288 index=234 color=1907997 index=247 color=14211288
  index=261 color=0 index=274 color=14211288 index=290 color=0
  index=302 color=14211288 index=316 color=0 index=316 color=16777215
  index=335 color=5000268 index=351 color=16777215 index=368 color=0
  index=-16 color=14211288
opacity:
  smooth=no
}

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:00:31 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged
Charleswehner
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 06:31:23 PM »

Hi!

Yes - the standard is high. I am working on a machine-code program to explore fractals.

This morning (Wed, 18 Oct 2006) I wrote a smooth palette - where the colours merge seamlessly into one another. I had obtained FRACTINT from the first address GFWorld gave, and made the Mandelbrot set. When I switched to the smooth palette, the coloured bands were still in place - the image did not become smooth.

The other address given by GFWorld has very smooth graphics. I am trying to decide how such smooth colours can be achieved without hand-editing the palette. Chaos theory says the dots are chosen almost chaotically, so the smooth palette breaks up. I had hoped this would not be so.

Many, many years ago I shifted C in order to "change the tilt of the complex plane". I based that assumption on the fact that X <- X*X + C gives the mirror image of X <- X*X - C. However, there is all kinds of "swirling" going on as one uses, say 0.9C or 0.8C etc. It is just a "coincidence" that the "swirls" turn upside down on negation of C. That is to say, you cannot alter the 3D perspective by changing the ARGUMENT of the function. It is "on the wrong side of chaos". You can only get 3D by altering the RESULT.

So as I plan to make 3D images, I realise that one only needs to make ONE calculation at each point. One has X, Y and the "bailout" count (height). So one shifts the X by a fraction of the baleout count on one image, and shifts the X the other way on the other image. That, I now know, is the way to get BINOCULAR 3D fractals.

Now I'm going back to my assembler.

Charles

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 07:54:28 PM »

Margit Schttler wrote:
>
>    Hi Charles and Paul,
>    Chebychev, I like these formula too, some are on my site with
>    different programs. http://www.Nahee.com/PNL/OrgForm.html
>    - I had a try here ... gtc45 & UF ...    Whatever we create with
>    these wonderful formulas is individual but I think its a wonderful
>    place at last to start from   :-)))

Hey there, Margit, I agree with you, the Chebychev type formulas are a good starting point for some unique and interesting images.

>
>    Comment here whenever its not the correct place :-)
>    Paul  - there was a lot of beautiful work incl. latest * XD Firework *
>    I could see and admire here the last days - wonderful, all
>    my compliments ! smiley

Though I have several fractal related applications I use regularly, the reason XenoDream has been more prominent these days is because of the 3-D aspect.  Being able to rotate an object fairly quickly, render it, and then export it to be used as a 3-D object in other 3-D applications is the key factor.

Thank you for all your compliments!!  And looking forward to your next images shared in this Forum.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:58:13 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: