Logo by JosLeys - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:13:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandlebulb to 3DS Max..?!  (Read 10043 times)
DeadPixels
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:12:51 PM »

Hi Guys,

so total newbie here and i really need some help. Basically i need to get something like this:

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=18308069&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=18308069&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a> (think he's a member on here)

into 3DS Max to render with Vray.

I've done some digging and some say its possible with some mesh generation software - Autodesk make one i think...

If anyone can help me i'd be very grateful! ...As in crate of beer grateful!

Thanks

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:52 PM »

Hello and Welcome to the forums   afro

Try here for a start making obj files from M3D files : http://www.fractalforums.com/tutorials/voxel-image-stack-and-then-what/

Here's one from Carrara  (Sorry, 3D Max is out of my budget):

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=9736

Have fun and enjoy the site. 

Also, I'm moving this to the Mandelbulb3D section of the site to keep it where it belongs.

If it helps, I'll have a crate of Lindeman's Cassis Lambic!  A Beer Cup

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
DeadPixels
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »

Thanks for the info - sadly that thread has confused the hell out of me!?

I'm after a really clear and specific to MAX workflow, so if someone can say literally:

step 01. step 02, step 03 etc that would be amazing as I'm a total newbie i really need this spelled out like talking to a child! lol.

Then of course the crate of beer will be one! Or Red Bull, whatever floats your fractal boats smiley

Also, if is an obj, it won't be able to carry any animation info - not that much of a problem but would be nice.

Cheers!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »

I'll find the step by step post in that thread when I get some time.  It's in there someplace...

...Also, if is an obj, it won't be able to carry any animation info - not that much of a problem but would be nice.

Don't expect to ever carry the animation info over!  The only way I can envision that working is with a sequence of obj files, which can easily be hundreds of MB each.  Some are a couple GB before optimization.  You'd have to decimate too much to keep it manageable.  There'd be no detail left.

Check back tonight for that step by step thing  (look for the program "FIJI" in the meantime.  It's free and essential to the process.   afro

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »

it would be more easy to export 3d fractal animations as depth information images, and then collague it all together in another program,
mandelbulber can export any channel of an image separately, so, for example for depth informations, then you could add a spaceship or whatever you like to the rendered animation .... the voxel stack method may work for animations, but since no direct obj output is available, it is a really hard thing to achieve ... and as sock pointed out, 3d meshes of those fractals can be as complex as imaginable, usually low grid resolution ray marchings through those point clouds  is reeeaaalllyyy bad quality, and resolution has to be a hell of a resolution, so, creating a reasonable 3d obj animation prepare for at least 1 terrabyte of raw data cheesy lols ...

the reason why the output of the current mandelbulb renderers is so fine is because they do not create a mesh, they just use the distance function in ray marching, this could as well be included directly in a 3d program, and the guy who has created bryce is currently working on a gpu optimized 3d rendering system, i dont know the name yet, but this would serve more your desires, because it is a true 3d program, with added spice of distance functions....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 01:13:04 AM »

OK - here's the tutorial from teena:  (it assumes you found and can use the voxel stack export feature in the utilities tab of Mandelbulb3D)

I'm watching this forum for weeks now without signing up because I thought I have nothing to contribute anyway. Today I signed up because I found a repeatable procedure to create an OBJ file from PNG slices using Fiji (in my case Fiji 64). Before listing my mini tutorial I want to thank Jesse for creating Mandelbulb3D. It's amazing and I love it as much as XenoDream.

Here is my step by step tutorial:

1. Launch Fiji and select "File/Import/Image Sequence".
2. Select "1.png" to open the Sequence Options dialog.
3. In this dialog select additionally "Convert to RGB" and "Use virtual stack" and click OK.
4. Without doing anything else select "File/Save As/PGM". This creates a file with the extension "*.pnm". Accept the offered filename or change it if you want and save it.
5. Now select "File/Save As/Wavefront OBJ" and accept what's displayed in the Triangulate dialog. Wait till the second progress bar has closed in the Fiji status bar.
6. Click "File/Quit" to close Fiji. Strangely enough that's necessary to get the object file saved. Now you can import it into any 3D application that loads the OBJ format. I'm using for instance Vue 10 Infinite.

It would be cool if those slices would somewhat keep the original colors of the fractal to get a fully textured 3D object. However, it's already a huge step forward to be able to create objects at all.

Fiji can be found here:  http://fiji.sc/wiki/index.php/Downloads

Here's my first good Mandelbulb obj file animated in Carrara:

And if you, or anybody else,wants one, here's The Mandelbulb obj file:
http://www.sockrateaze.com/stuff/mandelbulb_obj.zip

That should get you started - hope it helps!

Have fun   afro

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 02:44:45 AM »

Another tutorial from the voxel stack thread :

I've posted a video tutorial showing the process from Voxel Stack, through Fiji, and into ZBrush or Meshlab. I use the method that Teena outlines above, but I skip the conversion to RGB images which saves some memory.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kpu-DZs9HXU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Kpu-DZs9HXU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »

as sock and christian pointed out, the problem in converting 3d fractals into meshes is keeping the polygon count in an acceptable range. there is annother software series, that might fit your needs here - mystic fractals (http://www.mysticfractal.com/index.html). it's a bunch of programs - almost for every fractal type a seperate app, but they have all some interresting features in common:
  • direct wavefront obj export
  • built in polygon reduction algorithms
i don't know, how far they are up to date with latest developments in 3d fractal generation, but i worked with an older version some years ago and the mesh export worked fine and super easy back then. and for a 3dmax/vray user, the prices are ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:13:26 AM by taurus66 » Logged

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: