Logo by visual - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 03:57:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Approaching the holy grail with a scoring system of the like  (Read 1037 times)
kjknohw
Explorer

« on: August 16, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »

What are the properties of the mandelbrot set?
         Diversity: Each area is different.
                      The mandelbox does pretty well. The mandelbulb and tetrabrot seems better though.
         History: When you find a baby mbrot, you see patterns remiscent of everything you passed earlier.
                      I believe that the mandelbox fails this criteria (are there baby mandelboxes), the mandelbulb and tetrabrot passes.
         Not stretched: Detail is found in all directions
                     The mandelbox is perfect here, but the mandelbulb has whipped cream regions. The tetrabrot has long "tubes".
         Connected (less important in my opinion):
                    The mandelbulb/tetrabrot passes the mandelbox sometimes fails.
There may be no perfect grail because of you-know-what theorem, however, why can't the transformations' non-conformity cancel each other out? Or nearly so; for example, the mandelbar/tricorn has in most places a tolerable distortion.

Can there be a way that a score system be developed and the formula "evolve" better and better? Or could we improve our human-based scoring system by looking more closely at these.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:48:51 AM by kjknohw » Logged
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »

There must be some judging system to recognise HIM.
But mandelbox is not 3D mandelbrot, becouse 3D mandelbrot must be Z squared what are first requirement for 3D mandelbrot. Mandelbox is something another a pattern formula like 2D ducks/ kalisets.

fractal catalisator
kjknohw
Explorer

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:56:15 AM »

I don't think HIM will appear suddenly, it will take time and effort or else it would have been found, a true HIM is noble prize material! However, we could tweak the formula incrementally to get closer.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »

Surely there's more variety in Mandelbox than the tetrabrot- https://sites.google.com/site/mandelbox/negative-mandelbox  cheesy

I've got a pet theory that black holes are the grail, and that, rather than being spherical they are somehow fractal-like with infinite surface area.
That is based on zero knowledge of black holes, just a guess!
i.e. rather than it existing in 3d euclidean space, it exists in the massively warped 4d space-time of general relativity.
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:56:12 AM »

There are couple z^2 varieties in this thread.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:23:51 AM »

Nice image Matt. What section of z^2 mandelbulb is this?

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
mfg
Explorer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:01:38 AM »

When you refer to history, that does not mean that you find small copies of the complete set. Is that right?
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 06:45:45 PM »

Important condition is that "Holly Grail" should be mathematically meaningfull. Mandelbrot set are, it corresponds to bifurcation diagramm of of the logistic map (throught I have no idea what it means). But some of visualy appealing formulas probably just are not very mathematical.

Anyway I had posted about "Arc of Covenant", 3D fractal what would have natural elements such as fern fronds, coral reefs, trees or seashells. Rotbox hybrid seems somewhat like that item.

fractal catalisator
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »

Nice image Matt. What section of z^2 mandelbulb is this?
Hey, missed your reply.  It's the "stalk" section- the part aligned with the negative x-axis.  The thread is over in the Mandelbulb theory section.  Don't want to hijack this thread, but this current formula has certain features that others lack.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: