Logo by kr0mat1k - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:16:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: questions: how to colour, performance and zoo  (Read 1683 times)
willvarfar
Explorer

« on: August 09, 2012, 04:27:57 PM »

I'm a fractal newbie and the Ludum Dare competition is fast approaching so I need to learn quickly wink

I've been doing ray marching and talking in the programming board, but I have some more general questions about 3D fractals:

1) Colouring: I've loved Syntopia's DE series; is there an equiv cheat sheet for colouing fractals?  How is it normally done?

2) Performance: which fractals (with typical iterations and bailouts etc) are the quickest to render?

3) Zoo: is there any nice summaries with lots of common 3D fractals thumbailed near and far?  So I can glance over and say "oooh that'd look good in this part of that game..."?
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »

3) Zoo: is there any nice summaries with lots of common 3D fractals thumbailed near and far?  So I can glance over and say "oooh that'd look good in this part of that game..."?

On point 3) check this out for instance:

http://www.fractalforums.com/images-showcase-(rate-my-fractal)/familiar-fractals-in-the-mandelbox
http://miqel.com/fractals_math_patterns/3d_fractals_mandelbulb.html

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
eiffie
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »

I would be interested in the coloring info too!
The amazing box and variants are often used in demos for speed. One cheat I use is low iterations then return a distance to a square rather than a sphere. You lose detail but still have sharp edges. Use the distance field for collision detection and you should come up with a pretty good maze game smiley
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »

I would be interested in the coloring info too!
The amazing box and variants are often used in demos for speed. One cheat I use is low iterations then return a distance to a square rather than a sphere. You lose detail but still have sharp edges. Use the distance field for collision detection and you should come up with a pretty good maze game smiley

AmazingBox is another name for MandelBox, right?  Can you share your fast DE?  would other end shapes also be interesting?

Regards Ludum Dare, I always do a collaborative entry; this compo I'll post to the collabortion board here if there's anyone who wants and can join in.  (Or do other, competing entries; that'd also be cool smiley
eiffie
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

Yes ABox and MBox are same thing. This code was originally from rrrola but I have perverted it somewhat. There may be typos as I don't have a graphics card to try it right now. The vars in caps look something like ITERS (5 to 13), SCALE (-4 to 4), RADIUS (2 to 16) and SIZE is dependant on SCALE (just play around). This isn't the best DE, just a fast one as you can use low iters. Maybe you can even do a reflection off the nice flat surfaces??
Code:
float DE(vec3 z0)
{
vec4 z = vec4(z0,1.0),c=z; //or use a constant for c
for (int n = 0; n < ITERS; n++) {
z.xyz=clamp(z.xyz, -1.0, 1.0) *2.0-z.xyz; //box fold
z*=SCALE*clamp(1.0/dot(z.xyz,z.xyz),1.0,RADIUS); //scale and sphere fold
z+=c;
}
z=abs(z);
return (max(z.x,max(z.y,z.z))-SIZE)/z.w;
}
You can substitute this fold z.xyz=abs(z.xyz+1.0)-1.0 for a different look (from kali I think).
You can also substitute a cylinder fold or elliptical fold for the sphere fold or use a swizzle like this...
if (n==2)z=z.yzxw;
etc. etc. etc... Maybe try to make it a random box so you never play the same game twice smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: