Logo by slon_ru - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 02:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: WebGL for hosting GLSL  (Read 17614 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:15 PM »

@cKleinhuis: It'll be ready when it's ready... wink I'm putting a lot of effort into the user interface and interactivity aspects (often getting between 30-60fps interactive speeds on my 2009 iMac). It's also aimed as a creative tool for users with no programming or mathematical background (so won't have the open-ended flexibility of an app like Fragmentarium) but is more something you explore visually.

what huh? so long ? cheesy
the rendering quality is outstanding, you have a decent quality in your productions, and i mean not only the rendering output, the interface style is very nice, too bad you took your previous version offline sad good work!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »

Subblue, what a beautiful demo video!  Do share more info! smiley

Yes I'm having reports of black screens from people with my simple mandelbulb link; but I am hoping that webGL will settle down much quicker than I can set up a windows and mac and every other environment so I can compile native code to run on them all!
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 03:23:34 AM »

I have played around and added some 'features'.

It can draw a low-res distance map to a texture and then run again using this as input.

The display is colour coded by this info; the white pixels were discarded in an early pass, and red in were in the previous pass but not this pass.

I do the early passes with very few iterations, and crank the iterations up for the final pass.  In principle, as passes accumulate, you might get away with fewer on the final pass?

I have not found any significant speedup (nor slow-down) on my wimpy ATI mobile card, sadly.  If you save and open the file locally, you can edit it and change the parameters; easily add or change the distance map steps.

It now displays a useful frame-rate graph on the bottom of the window.  I find this more informative than a simple average number, but chrome can show a really useful FPS counter (enabled in about://flags)

I'd be most curious to know what kind of FPS this runs on your computer, what your computer spec is, and if changing the intermediate distance map texture parameters helps?
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »

You know how it is ... I awoke this morning remembering I hadn't changed one very simple thing!

I've just fixed the epsilon on http://williame.github.com/Mandel_1 (to the near value; it could become coarser as you march, leading to better speed-ups.  (And if it grew faster than real pixels, it'd speed up more and lead to some poor-man's fuzzy depth-of-field blurring effect too.)

So now I can confirm on my rubbish mobile ATI chipset, this multi-step distance texture dramatically improves frame-rate!

Save the code https://raw.github.com/williame/Mandel_1/ed617f99df3e58c3c1ba970850e326815be336d6/index.html locally, then edit line 151 to change the number of steps and the size of the intermediate textures used.

Please report how this GPU-side "rod marching" (a.k.a. "cone marching") helps on your machine and what your spec is!

Terribly exciting smiley
flexiverse
Safarist

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »

Here's a little skeleton file for anyone who finds it useful: https://gist.github.com/3139606

To run it, just right-click save-as the "raw" link and then view the file locally.

Or put it on a web server!

Feel free to use, abuse, extend, fix, share!

Put your own fractals in there, make it navigable etc.  The mandelbulb is just coloured by ray-marching steps which is hardly pretty, sorry.

As the heavy lifting of ray marching etc can be done in the GLSL shaders, we only need the tiniest of shims to host it in the browser.

Think how much space fractalforums would save if all the shared images were actually computed when displayed? wink

Is it possible to get the shader out so it's an external file or not as a string so it an be easily edited?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: