Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 08:14:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Unfunny prank by a mod or else severe bug  (Read 2213 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

"You have exceeded your maximum upload per day. Upload limit per day is 1."

1 is obviously incorrect, and on top of that, I haven't uploaded anything today.

Fix this please, and don't let this sort of silly prank (if that is what it is) happen again please. tongue stuck out

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »

"You have exceeded your maximum upload per day. Upload limit per day is 1."

1 is obviously incorrect, and on top of that, I haven't uploaded anything today.

Fix this please, and don't let this sort of silly prank (if that is what it is) happen again please. tongue stuck out

Seriously, you have got to get your paranoia under control.

Every single time you run into trouble you start accusing people!

1 is the new limit.  We're almost out of disc space!  Feel free to donate if you want to help with the situation.

Not sure if any other cure exists.  We'd prefer to limit the gallery to 1 per week!

Meanwhile, external image hosting is still an option.

I have no idea why it says "You have exceeded your maximum upload per day. Upload limit per day is 1." if you haven't uploaded anything today - maybe it was less than 24 hours ago and still counts as 1 day?

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »

Seriously, you have got to get your paranoia under control.

Every single time you run into trouble you start accusing people!

Who, exactly, did I accuse? Name names.

1 is the new limit.

That is incorrect. The limit is three.

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »

That is incorrect. The limit is three.

seems you're living yesterday: http://www.fractalforums.com/fractal-forums-news/severe-webspace-problem-now-it-is-on!/msg49814/

for the rest, i have to agree with sockratease. it is not what you say, it's the demanding way you say it, that is really rude. and all that, while you obviously don't know, what you're talking about. (see above)
i guess not only me would be pleased, if you'd show some more respect to the people, who run this place, without getting payed for.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »

all said....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37:12 PM »

Paul, I have nothing but respect for your fractal art and programming, but I must agree you have some paranoia issues  shocked

I probably can't do much to convince you that there aren't "hidden forces acting against you" (trying to do so would probably only make it worse), but there's really no rational reason to believe it in the first place... this is a forum about fractals, very loosely collaborated on in a relaxed way, not a means for world domination or "keeping people down" or something like that!

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »

but i agree pauldel, you are always upsetting me, and assuming wrong stuff, usually i intervene in some way, either include ads, restrict uploads, or something else that i have to do just to keep this place with as low resources possible running, and usually minutes after that i hear that you are assuming that something goes wrong, or you would have some special right about something .... and that is reaaaaally annoying!!!

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »

seems you're living yesterday:

How rude.

for the rest, i have to agree with sockratease. it is not what you say, it's the demanding way you say it, that is really rude.

Doing a normal thing (going to upload an image) and suddenly getting a naughty-naughty finger wagged in my face telling me I tried to do something bad is also really rude. Especially when some other guy had uploaded three images in a row a short time earlier -- why is he treated differently? It's a slap in my face, and an obviously undeserved one, and I responded accordingly.

and all that, while you obviously don't know, what you're talking about.

Wrong again.

i guess not only me would be pleased, if you'd show some more respect to the people, who run this place, without getting payed for.

Saying "that's not funny" and also allowing the possibility that it was unintentional seems to be sufficiently charitable. If you don't think so, then too bad.

Paul, I have nothing but respect for your fractal art and programming, but I must agree you have some paranoia issues  shocked

So, let me get this straight: someone else posts three items in a short period of time, and a few hours later I go to post a single item, my first since getting up, and I'm told I've exceeded my limit of 1 for the day, and I'm not supposed to suspect that I might be being pranked? For that matter, a factual reporting of observations and a statement of two hypotheses that fit the data, only one of which involves any questionable behavior by other people, is "paranoia"?

The fact of the matter is this: I expect that if I carry on my business normally and do nothing even unusual, let alone with actual bad faith intent, that I will not get told that I've been caught and restrained automatically from trying to do something naughty! If you think it's unreasonable for me to have that expectation, then I have news for you: you're the one being unreasonable. Same if you expect me not to react to such an event defensively. I've been accused (by a computer, at that) of supposedly trying to do something wrong. I wasn't trying to do something wrong. What would you do in the same position, just meekly accept the machine's obviously-erroneous judgment and never post again??

I probably can't do much to convince you that there aren't "hidden forces acting against you" (trying to do so would probably only make it worse), but there's really no rational reason to believe it in the first place... this is a forum about fractals, very loosely collaborated on in a relaxed way, not a means for world domination or "keeping people down" or something like that!

Note that all of the above is stuff that you imagined and then attributed to me. I said nothing about hidden forces or anything of the sort. The most nefarious "plot" I suggested might have taken place was a prank by a single person that didn't realize that not everyone might find it amusing. The Internet equivalent of putting a whoopee cushion on my chair for me to sit on when I got up in the morning, went to my computer, and sat down there to catch up stuff. Some "plot".

but i agree pauldel, you are always upsetting me,

Not my intention. Simply participating normally is my intention, but apparently, despite having got out of bed with the best of intentions and not done anything wrong or even strange, someone had already decided that I won't be allowed to do that today for some odd reason.

and assuming wrong stuff,

Being refused the right to upload an image right after someone else uploaded three is, indeed, wrong stuff, but I didn't assume it, I observed it.

usually i intervene in some way, either include ads, restrict uploads, or something else that i have to do just to keep this place with as low resources possible running, and usually minutes after that i hear that you are assuming that something goes wrong,

If my usual routine is disrupted then something did go wrong. If someone else is being given, according to the computer, three times as high a quota as I am instead of the same quota, then something did go wrong. If a computer is accusing me of acting in bad faith, and that accusation is incorrect, then something did go wrong. Indeed, if something has annoyed me at all then something did go wrong.

or you would have some special right about something

I don't expect more rights than, say, LAR2 has. See above.

.... and that is reaaaaally annoying!!!

That I expect not to suddenly be slapped in the face when I try to upload a picture right after someone else has uploaded three? That I expect to be treated with respect myself, and not wrongly accused (and by a machine!) of some bad faith act or another? Sorry, but I am not going to change those expectations, nor am I going to not report it when I'm treated rudely and falsely accused by a computer for whose actions you bear responsibility.

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »

rolling on floor laughing

lycium and sockratease are right and paranoia is a case for the medic!

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Don Whitaker
Conqueror

KitchenDon
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »

Pauldelbrot, I can't decide if you are an extremely subtle Troll or just sadly deluded. You should probably just relax, enjoy the free service, and respect the efforts of the folks who keep this site running. Your angry accusations are pointless and unnecessary.

My digital creations: let me show you them
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »

Paul, you are either very old, or very young.  You act like either a spoiled kid, or somebody losing touch with reality  (Either a Juvenile Delinquent, or a Senile Delinquent!)

But neither is an excuse for such rudeness.

Stop it.

NOW.   cop cop

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »

Excuse me? I am quite calm. And in what way is stating that I expect to be treated the same as another ordinary user, such as LAR2, "acting spoiled"? In what way is stating that I expect not to be treated the way someone acting in bad faith would be treated, when I was not actually acting in bad faith, "acting spoiled"? Note: the latter includes objecting to being the subject of verbal disrespect such as is evident in the preceding three posts in this thread, as well as objecting to being accused of excessive posting by some computer.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »

@paul you are perfectly right with the fact that lar2 did make 3uploads today and be certain that i inform anyone who is exceeding the three uploads a day on a regulary base but there are far to many right now

and for that action today yes i am a normal being and i have sorrows one of the sorrows is i need to keep this place running so i when i was uploading an attachment today i was informed that one gig of space for uploads is full and i simply panicced as i paniced yesterday when i was informed my study fees are due but this incurred my parents today i was checking webspace and saw just 500 megs remain until ten gig is full perhaps you noticed that the forums is quite active nowadays and the only act i could imagine was to finally limit the amount of uploads right away from the point i was sure you are to pitty that you matched it could it be you are in a different time zone?

So whom will you accuse when the board goes offline because i was unable to pay those tiny fee? And be prepared it will happen anytime soon because i am broke no more and no less in fact i thank the higher entity that is holding obviously its hand above me that it did not happen whilst compo was running, i am glad that i am back online at my home nowadays my familly is supporting me best she can

so damn it i hope i can  at least sell ten cups off coffe to pay for the prizes of this years compo, although gfworld wanted to send more sponsoring money i rejected her just because i used her alreaDy sponsored money for my living. . . I dont want to beg so i want to sell some cups for raising money even if i am doing something illegal with that because basically my company is bancrupt and any money should go into paying taxes but i do hope the paypal account isnt grabbed right now. . .

So if anything happens again i would really be pleased if you would just inform about something without the backtone of demanding anything! <- just one exclamation mark :-)e

and paul, you where asking who you where accusing by stating
"Fix this please, and don't let this sort of silly prank (if that is what it is) happen again please. tongue stuck out"
damn it, you where accusing ME!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:30:25 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »

Erm, what?

Anyway, I still don't see that suggesting that "a mod" may have pulled a prank is accusing any specific individual one of definitely doing anything...and I still don't see anything justifying different limits for different users, either.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

it is not about different limits its about timing, got it ?!?! or just dont get it ?!

---

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: