Logo by stardust4ever - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 04:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Chrimbo Tree + compo (with prizes)!  (Read 11635 times)
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »

It's Chrimbo, so I thought I'd make a fractal-styled tree. It's not perfect, but that's where you come in, because I reckon many of you can top this. All you gotta do is create a chrimbo tree, using a fractal program. You can use Photoshop or whatever to touch it up if need be. The deadline for all entries is 11.59pm on Christmas Eve (results announced on the 25th!)

Pictures should be uploaded to the official X-Mas 2008 gallery, though you can also add them to this thread, and/or in the main gallery of course.

Yes, there's prizes. However, to be eligible, I need at least 2 entries. tongue stuck out

Prizes include:

1: Raw cash. I'll give $20, but only if you have Paypal!

2: Brand new optical illusions I created myself (I usually charge for these from my site). They are not just the usual run-of-the-mill illusions - you can bet on that wink

3: Lifetime subscription to MegaDJ. This will only be useful if you have Mediamonkey, but it is the best music player (much better than itunes, WMP, or Winamp - natch). A quick blurb for MegaDJ would be: "Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist/Smart Playlist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying."

4: Access to the full music from my music CD - Eclipse of Mars - a slightly acquired taste, being a tasty mix between old-skool game, classical, pop, jazz, and with lots of melody, intricacy and harmony!

5: Permanent free access to MIDI Transform - an online MIDI changing applet (allows you to change key, volume, mode, pitch etc.), and Stereoptica - a cool 3D stereogram creator with animation support. These two are currently almost free, but they possibly won't be with the next versions.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:48:02 PM by twinbee » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »

very nice!

i will see what i can do cheesy

afro
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:05:52 AM by Trifox » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »

i have send a newsletter anouncement to the users of the forum, and set up a xmas compo gallery section, where you can upload the images, and vote for them !

police police police

---

Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »

Twinbee,

You only want Christmas trees, not christmas-themed fractals? As it happens, I've recently created a couple of Chirstmas related fractals that would be good candidates for a contest, but they're ornaments, not trees themselves.

Would you be willing to broaden the contest theme?

Duncan C

Regards,

Duncan C
Hawk
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »

Hi, I tried to upload a tree image but it said the "upload folder is full"  huh?huh?huh???

Hawk

Reality is a crutch for those that cannot cope with fantasy
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »

Hawk, not sure... have you looked at this thread? If need be, you could always try hosting externally.

You only want Christmas trees, not christmas-themed fractals?

I think part of the challenge is to try and find a section of fractal that looks vaguely tree-like, and also to 'decorate' it in an imaginative way. I'm *almost* tempted to broaden the compo, but what I will say for now is if anyone else is interested in non-trees, I will reconsider (or maybe a new compo could set up by someone?). The other thing is that it's easier to compare like for like when judging smiley

Submit it anyway, and if it has the 'spirit' and style of a christmas tree, I might think twice anyway wink

Cash prize has swelled from $10 to $20 now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:32:41 PM by twinbee » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »

hello, please make sure it has the right file format ( png/gif/jpg ) the right size ( max 1280x1280) and the right file size (<1MB )
i just tested it aND IT seemed to work !
 police

---

Hawk
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »

.......tried sending again, and still get this !!!!
An Error Has Occurred!
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

it is a .jpg 167kb and 800x600

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hawk
Forums Newbie

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 07:49:15 PM »

I finally added it to the Gallery

Hawk

JackOfTraDeZ
Explorer

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 02:52:46 AM »

Here's a flock of flying angels; with a little imagination you might see a crucifix. May be a Christmas theme thing.
(You have to be able to use your imagination without drugs to get the most out of fractals!)

10 Meg download:

http://www.fractal-animation.net/vid/mandelmutant3.zip

gedgar
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »

Wreath...

twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »

Thanks to everyone so far who's entered! Don't forget to submit to the official X-Mas 2008 gallery when you're done.

Just to also add you can enter more than one entry if you like (or edit existing ones of course). Good luck all!  happy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:11:11 PM by twinbee » Logged
Cosine
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 07:15:45 AM »

I just posted two XenoDream Christmas fractals to the Xmas 2008 Gallery. One is a Christmas tree, the other is a wreath that is a composite of three different XD renders.

Dennis
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »

Congrats to all. It was really hard picking actually as I liked them all, but in the end there has to be one winner, and that will be Cosine's glassy Christmas Tree found here:

http://www.fractalforums.com/gallery/?sa=view;id=447

Despite the lack of decorations and slight grainy/bitty look, the 3D rotational effect around the tree is excellent. I also like the crystal look, and general shape of the tree. I'd love to see it decorated too if you have any spare time smiley

Other entries came REALLY close. AGUS's "Fractal Christmas tree 11" was a stunner with its red, green, gold and silver tinsel and interesting fractal detail inside. In the end, the shape was a little too 'triangular' maybe.

Likewise, ramblerette's abstract "xmastree" has a unique shape and atmosphere, but needed even more detail or tree-like shapeness to win (some anti-aliasing would have been nice also). I liked Duncan C's Fractal Christmas tree in its own way spartan Charlie Brown-like way, but more detail or decorations would have been nice. And kshorting's Xmas Ornament was lovely in itself, but although not immediately penalized, a tree was preferred really.

Congrats again to Cosine. Please email me your Paypal email (if you have one), and I've just sent you all of the special prizes as I mentioned in the initial post. Enjoy!  cheesy

As a thank you gift to everyone else for entering, I'll message just the optical illusions prize soon.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 03:29:23 PM by twinbee » Logged
Cosine
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »

Thank you, twinbee! I am honored, and it's a very nice Christmas present, too!  smiley

I enjoyed all the entries. If I had to vote for one it would be Duncan C's Fractal Christmas tree. I, too, liked the spartan look, and I especially liked the Mandelbrot Set in the trunk.

Actually, a friend has decorated my tree and posted it to Renderosity. Here's a link to her gallery: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=weezy136

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all.
Dennis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: