Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 07:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is UF 5 worth 129$ ???  (Read 5544 times)
benoit-1842
Forums Newbie

« on: June 20, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »

I very like doing fractal and I want to animate them UF5 looks an obvious choice..Am I right or there's a cheaper (or free) alternative to do image and video fractal...  I'm a real beginner too....
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »

Fractal Explorer! smiley Plus many others too, it depends on what you want to do

FE can produce great fractals

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »

http://www.chaospro.de

It's free and the interface is similar to UF5

It does not do deep zooms, but is a great starter program!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »

To answer the question - no, it's worth around $1500 (as compared to other commercial gfx software).

I also recommend ChaosPro as a free alternative - ChaosPro can even use the older type of UF formulas so those can be imported from the UF formula database.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »

To answer the question - no, it's worth around $1500 (as compared to other commercial gfx software).
in opposite to ulta fractal and all other fractal software, talented and skilled users can really make money by using photoshop & co. that's the difference in pricing. for a designer (who needs to live from his art) uf is nothing more than a toy - the bitter truth.

I also recommend ChaosPro as a free alternative - ChaosPro can even use the older type of UF formulas so those can be imported from the UF formula database.
is my favorite free 2d fractal program as well. but it can't reach uf in ease of use.
if you really want to establish a "workflow" with your fractals, ultra fractal is definitely worth the money. and if you're unsure yet, the trial version works nice...  grin

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
benoit-1842
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:15 AM »

I am a Vj so what's the best option for animation.  I know that UF5 can do animation but is it the best ?  And does the rendering is good in that software huh?

thanx Ben
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »

In my eyes it is surely worth the price, deep zooms , excellent formula system, and very easy to use anims, layering and stuff

downside is that it is suitable for 2d only

as vj i would point you to gpu renderers, especially flame renderers, and 3d ones. . .
Because as vj you need quantity, and fewer quality smiley

my point of view

btw i own a uf5 and frederic always provides me with my serial when i need it

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »

in opposite to ulta fractal and all other fractal software, talented and skilled users can really make money by using photoshop & co. that's the difference in pricing. for a designer (who needs to live from his art) uf is nothing more than a toy - the bitter truth.

Since it's possible to make UF do anything Photoshop or even say Maya can do (plus a whole lot more) (including real-time previews) I contest that statement !!
Also anyone with even simplistic knowledge of coding can do this - whereas few are competent enough or have the tools to write plug-ins for Photoshop/Maya etc.

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »

In my eyes it is surely worth the price, deep zooms , excellent formula system, and very easy to use anims, layering and stuff

downside is that it is suitable for 2d only

as vj i would point you to gpu renderers, especially flame renderers, and 3d ones. . .
Because as vj you need quantity, and fewer quality smiley

my point of view

Mine too! wink

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »

Since it's possible to make UF do anything Photoshop or even say Maya can do (plus a whole lot more) (including real-time previews) I contest that statement !!

Since when can UF import (and more importantly Export) 3D models in obj, fbx, 3ds, and other formats?

I'm afraid I must contest that statement !!

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

Since when can UF import (and more importantly Export) 3D models in obj, fbx, 3ds, and other formats?

yes, i must have missed something too. it is some time ago, since i played with the trial of uf5, but i never noticed a brush tool or a nurbs modeller there.

I know that UF5 can do animation but is it the best ?
difficult question. it's like asking which instrument is the best - guitar or piano.
it' a matter of what YOU want.
christian pointed out well. uf is surely the most advanced fractal software (developped for decades), but only for 2d fractals. gpu renderer are surely the fastest, but especially fragmentarium, needs some background knowlege and not every hardware runs it at the first try.

it's up to you - play around with all you can get and decide yourself.
if you're looking for a programm, that automatically creates nice animations, with two or three clicks, i'm afraid you won't be happy with all mentioned here...

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

for me ultrafractal has a special role, because in my eyes they moved the formula definition forwards, extending the fractint base, and ultrafractal has always been a resource for grabbing out the formulas from it, the decent formula editor with dynamically (animatable) properties is just amazing, and as i said before, the animation feature is really sophisticated

in the 90s i was always wanting to have a program that allows deep zoom animations of morphing fractals, and since uf5 had the animation edition my wish came true, although i didnt use it as much as i wanted, but for formula editing with native complex number parsing it is just beautiful

and the thing i love even more than the animation feature is the object code structure that was introduced with uf5, since then it was an ease to implement hybrid fractals, which basically offers the endles fractal generation features known from mandelbulber or mandelbulb3d....

dont know if chaospro has adopted this object structure ...

and hence you can just copy and paste the amazing long locations provided by pauldelbrot, and it just renders it is nice, did i mention network rendering ?!
 afro angel
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:35:20 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »

I'm afraid I must contest that statement !!

Apart from solid printing why else would you need to export ?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »

Apart from solid printing why else would you need to export ?

To do REAL Art!  clown  bubble gum

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:45:59 PM by Sockratease » Logged

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »

I am a Vj so what's the best option for animation.  I know that UF5 can do animation but is it the best ?  And does the rendering is good in that software huh?

thanx Ben

What about stealing vids on Youtube like some of your colleagues?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: