Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 05:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Pauldelbrot's Ultra Fractal colouring formula  (Read 3772 times)
Description: Promontory
Pharmagician
Explorer

« on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »

I've been watching and admiring Pauldelbrot's various series (Mandelbrot Safari, Twistor World, Seahorse Odyssey) for a long time now and have been knocked out by the colouring of these images.  Pauldelbrot then very generously wrote and shared here a colouring formula for Ultra Fractal that does things in a similar way to his own personal software.  I've been playing with his formula a lot and this is one of the results, and here's a link to it on dA for a fullsize view: http://pharmagician.deviantart.com/#/d4w068y

Thanks again Pauldelbrot! Yes !!

* UF12040702PSE04 PromontoryFF_edited-3.jpg (179.94 KB, 850x850 - viewed 396 times.)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:01:09 AM »

thank you for notifying, love the green dot wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »

Excellent. Glad someone else is getting nice results with this. It seems in particular you've found how to use varying saturation to nice effect. smiley

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »

you know, pauldel i will have to do an own tvshow of this, can you explain with 3 sentences what your coloring method makes special ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:53 AM »

It's fractal. smiley

Well, almost. It has detail at several length scales, waves of changing colors or luminances with different periods. So it can make features have contrast at different "iteration scales".

[end of the quick synopsis]

In Pharmagician's image, you'll notice how seahorses and their spirals contrast with their backgrounds, and the seahorses' eyes are different brightness and hue from their fringes, and the "rune" like features contrast in color from their surroundings, and a whole new color (green) comes in in the very middle.

For UF users, importantly, this can all be done with a single layer, saving a lot of time, particularly with deepzooms.

It also can "discover" interesting new color schemes for you, in a way, because you don't micromanage it and the machine can surprise you. I got the very pleasing browns/yellows/muted reds in the second-to-last segment of "Change" partly by happy accident.

A downside of the UF version is that changing anything requires recalculating the whole image, and generating a color cycling animation in particular would therefore require calculating every frame. If I'd had to do that, I couldn't have possibly rendered "Change" by the deadline and had time for everything else as well -- in fact I needed only a few hours to render "Change", of which 45 minutes was spent computing the lightning image which is arbitrary precision by a small bit and heavily antialiased. There are 720 frames in the segment with the lightning image; if each one had had to be calculated from scratch, taking 45 minutes per frame, it would have taken 540 hours to render that segment, or 22 and a half days -- that is, over 2/3 of the submission period would have been spent on rendering just 30 seconds of one video!

Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »

Do you think it would be possible to achieve such things in fractal extreme? I've been experimenting with colors there but this requires new code.

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »

It doesn't seem likely. AFAIK there's no way to color in FX other than with the built-in gradient editor and a few options. You can't even stretch a logmap over the observed span of iteration counts in the image, I don't think, and there's certainly no hook for user-defined coloring rules.

In theory, something like this (plus smoothed iterations) wouldn't be difficult for the author to add. It only needs the final z and iteration count, rather than per-iteration extra processing in particular (unlike, say, DE, or Dwellgrad, or exponential smoothing, or orbit traps).

Problem is, FX hasn't been updated in years and it's proprietary, so nobody else can take over and make new versions and improvements.

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »

There's a thread in the UF forum here with an attachment with the multiwave .ucl for anyone who's interested.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: