Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 02:36:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Monetizing our mad fractal skills  (Read 4776 times)
Description: Is anybody making money from fractals, and if so, how?
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »

hears a very effective way to market fractals

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61228211/green-swirl-fractal-glass-tile-pendant?ref=sr_gallery_19&ga_search_query=fractals&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

oh and you know my public domain thing don't accidentally  think links are public domain they aren't

only "MY" art is not other web pages
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:09:45 PM by matty686 » Logged

open-source rocks
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »

Hmmm...
I guess it ends up depending on how exactly you related to making fractals.

If you have some success to make stunning fractals go along with the real world in an affordable, relatively quick way, you coul do special effect fractals in movies or advertisment.
Selling images, even high quality prints, isn't all too great if you don't manage that one step to fame.
Becoming famous with your art requires that you can interpret something in it, give it a purpose and sell the thoughts behind it.

If you are a programmer, why not get money by programming? That supposedly is a fairly good field to dive into...

Beyond that, maybe you could try doing deep, true, serious research and publish your findings to some kind of scientific paper. This forum essentially collaboratively developed triplex-algebra (or rather a generalization of quaternion algebra) aswell as two or three fundamental new kinds of 3D fractals. Surely there is still quite a bit of research possible in the direct analysis of those new sets. Their behavior, their "islands of order", the regions where they break into chaos,their exact dimensionality, etc.
It might be the most demaning route but if you're careful, you can probably make money that way.

You could also try to do a charming little show on YT where the protagonists are fractals. Become, say, a partner of youtube, start a kickstarter campain, become viral, raise your 10000$ request in a single day ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/437762268/brawl-in-the-family-volume-one - admitedly, he already was very popular when he started it all... but still)

Else... I can't *really* think of much. Maybe you can start working with some group like khanacademy. They keep growing and as far as I was able to gather (which honeslty isn't all that much), their doings are quite liberal, as long as it helps the overal project in a way. So if you can figure out, how that might be the case, you might become a paid employee of them. - Most people simply are voluntary though.
You might find other such projects aswell.
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 05:26:43 PM »

Hmmm...
I guess it ends up depending on how exactly you related to making fractals.

If you have some success to make stunning fractals go along with the real world in an affordable, relatively quick way, you coul do special effect fractals in movies or advertisment.
Selling images, even high quality prints, isn't all too great if you don't manage that one step to fame.
Becoming famous with your art requires that you can interpret something in it, give it a purpose and sell the thoughts behind it.

If you are a programmer, why not get money by programming? That supposedly is a fairly good field to dive into...

Beyond that, maybe you could try doing deep, true, serious research and publish your findings to some kind of scientific paper. This forum essentially collaboratively developed triplex-algebra (or rather a generalization of quaternion algebra) aswell as two or three fundamental new kinds of 3D fractals. Surely there is still quite a bit of research possible in the direct analysis of those new sets. Their behavior, their "islands of order", the regions where they break into chaos,their exact dimensionality, etc.
It might be the most demaning route but if you're careful, you can probably make money that way.

You could also try to do a charming little show on YT where the protagonists are fractals. Become, say, a partner of youtube, start a kickstarter campain, become viral, raise your 10000$ request in a single day ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/437762268/brawl-in-the-family-volume-one - admitedly, he already was very popular when he started it all... but still)

Else... I can't *really* think of much. Maybe you can start working with some group like khanacademy. They keep growing and as far as I was able to gather (which honeslty isn't all that much), their doings are quite liberal, as long as it helps the overal project in a way. So if you can figure out, how that might be the case, you might become a paid employee of them. - Most people simply are voluntary though.
You might find other such projects aswell.

whell ok but ill tell you a secret It's very easy for me to put purpose to my fractals there hand made and easy to control see <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HzBwVCSFZPY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HzBwVCSFZPY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

open-source rocks
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »

Handmade, ok... but still, they are 2D-images.
Static images can sell but it's difficult.
Better have some merchandise around it like cups or calendars... (I totally didn't steal those ideas from cKleinhuis tongue stuck out)
Or if you get your fractals to be actual solids, THAT would be neat.

Hmm, I wonder.... Would it be possible to have a menger-like cup?
Like, due to the fractal properties, liquid will stay inside the cup despite all the holes?
Would be a nice 3D-printer experiment...
I suppose, as long as the biggest holes aren't bigger than a certain treshold, the surface tension should keep the liquid inside the cup... right?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »

i think that printed 3d fractal objects are making perfect selling merchandise, the problem with a menger cup would in my eyes to be
how to clean it ?!?!?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »

yeah bacteria love to live in fractals you should check this out

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-501083_162-20060003.html

remember a traditional sponge is pretty much a hollow 3d Apollonian gasket   

open-source rocks
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »

Oh, that's right, I didn't even think about the cleaning  cheesy
It was more of a half-joke anyway. But other fractal stuff could be nice.
How about a super-hydrophobic spiky (because fractally) sphere? cheesy Drop it into water and it will have a really nice silvery outline.
The fact that sponges are great living spaces for bacteria is also somewhat related to why "active-coal" works. It's essentially micro-sponges, taking in all the micro-dirt and not letting it out anymore. That kind of coal-filtering is very effective in making water drinkable again.

Either way, 3D-printing fractals might be one of the best ways to get money out of them, especially if they double as a more practical purpose. That is either really neat physical properties or just standard use and the fractally component makes them look cool.
Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »

the problem with a menger cup would in my eyes to be
how to clean it ?!?!?

Why with a Menger Sponge of course!

causality ignores the persecutory illusions of free will
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »

Why with a Menger Sponge of course!

lol

open-source rocks
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »

rolling on floor laughing

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »

Well THAT was an obvious one.
Nice catch cheesy
willclark218
Forums Freshman

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »

Rathinagiri has a good point... Custom textiles are huge....  the skateboards, snow boards, surfboards would also be a market.. or "skinit".... personally I would be happy to sell high quality prints... just need to get good enough and start circulating in some the local galleries.. or talking to some people down in the city..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: