Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:52:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Realtime fractal flames on GPU  (Read 17808 times)
Description: An application (with source code) and technical article by Dr. O. Lawlor.
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« on: May 26, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »

Here: http://www.cs.uaf.edu/~olawlor/2011/gpuifs/
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »

Awesome! This is quite a significant leap in speed over previous implementations. I get about 10 FPS on my laptop here.

eiffie
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »

I've been wondering how to do this. Yey!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »

It's great but the interface is ... horrible wink - almost everything is missing to make the program usable

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »

well it's open source - so what are you waiting for wink
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »

It's great but the interface is ... horrible wink - almost everything is missing to make the program usable
That's just a kind of prototype to illustrate the method. It's an academic work. Too bad it can't (well in theory it's possible but ...) to use it as preview for existing flame fractal softwares. The main drawback of this method is that the blurring is not avoidable for large fractals and/or when zooming in. Moreover past 8kx8k images one have apparently to use doubles. Nevertheless, It is impressive, clever and the article is surprisingly eazy to read (for an academic work  grin).
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »

Interesting paper, looks like they're trying to solve the inverse problem for a very few (just 3?) xforms, to avoid doing the random access. Not a good idea IMO.

Also, they didn't compare against probably the best GPU fractal renderer out there at the moment, cuburn: https://github.com/stevenrobertson/cuburn

Apophyster
Conqueror

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »

Have you folks seen this short video from this fellow?
I wonder if there's something in what he's done that could be applied to flames to get them more 3D then currently they are.  I don't have enough of a technical grasp of flames or ifs to even guess.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKDGgOxX9HU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKDGgOxX9HU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Rice, wheat and corn make the world go round.
Love and money are just passengers.
Friendliness is the destination.
mfeemster
Alien

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:34:37 AM »

Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I've spent the last 9 months on and off re-writing the implementation from Professor Orion Lawlor. I started a Google code project page here:

http://code.google.com/p/orion-flames/

I took a special interest in his project because it was the only one I knew of that rendered in real-time. Also, it did so in a very clever way by using the inverses of the variation functions.

After getting about midway through it, I realized there were others that rendered in real-time by doing a few tricks. Only recently did I discover Cuburn, which I haven't ran yet.

I also realized that it will never be a complete replacement for the original flam3 algorithm. Still, I think this implementation is worth keeping around and improving because it can render a limited number of scenarios very fast at reasonable quality.

The GUI on my project is not much more than was present on the original, however I plan to change that to make it easier to play with xforms/variations just like all of the other major fractal flames editors.

One note about mine is that the flame rendering engine is completely separate from the GUI, meaning it can be used in other projects. I spent a ton of time untangling the original from the GUI with that exact goal in mind. The reason is that most flame implementations are tightly coupled to the GUI they run in, so they can't be used elsewhere. My hope is that by fully decoupling them, it can eventually get used in places like music visualizers and video games.

Again, the project is in it's infancy so please don't laugh or get upset if it's not the nicest. There is a Windows executable available for download at:

http://code.google.com/p/orion-flames/downloads/list

I probably won't be doing much work on the project for at least a couple of months. I will be spending my time trying to understand the original flam3 code better, as well as several of the other renderers out there.

Feedback is welcome.

Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »

Do you have any pictures? So we can decide whether to download or not.
slon_ru
Iterator

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:08:40 AM »

Nice!!! I can save the result as image sequence?!

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »

program does not work for me ... sad by clicking on start ifs it hangs, i have an amd gpu

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
mfeemster
Alien

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 04:30:23 AM »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Here are some answers:

No pictures, it's a small enough download. Just get it and play with it.

No capability for saving at the moment.

Sorry to hear it doesn't work on your AMD card. That really sucks. I'm not sure I can be of much help because I only have nVidia cards both at home and at work, so there's no way I can debug to see what the problem is. (I had a nightmare scenario once with an AMD card being faulty right out of the box and swore I'd never buy one again). I don't believe I have anything nVidia specific in there, just regular OpenGL stuff. Perhaps someone who has  an AMD card can try building and running the source on their system and let us know what happens?

A further note regarding saving pictures/video:

The point of this program is to help re-think how we think about fractal flames. For the past 10+ years, everyone's mind has been calibrated to follow these steps:

1) Come up with a bunch of parameters.
2) Hit render button.
3) Wait a few hours, or maybe a few days.
4) Out pops a very visually stunning image.

My aim is to move from that mode, to a mode of real-time visualization, similar to Milkdrop or Magnetosphere. Historically, flames have been way, way too computationally intensive to even think about rendering in real-time. However, there have been enough software and hardware improvements which now make it possible to render a few scenarios in real-time at perhaps less quality. It's a trade-off that I think is well worth it. Again, this is just a prototype with plenty of obvious rendering bugs that I'm sure you've seen, such as the screen blanking out randomly. I hope to make it better in the future.

Thanks for checking it out!

ablaze
Forums Newbie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »

You guys might be interested to know that there is a Web version using this
fractal flames algorithm: The link to the online version can be found in this youtube video:  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lFPJD7tDWN4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/lFPJD7tDWN4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
mfeemster
Alien

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »

Wow, very cool! Good job! So glad to see someone pick this up.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: