Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 09:13:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: How to find the chosen parameter point  (Read 1217 times)
Description: Julia sets require a point in plane from mandelbrot set, but which one?
gamma
Safarist

« on: October 07, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »

To draw Julia sets we need a point (to serve as parameter) in plane within reasonable distance from zero. Mandelbrot set can serve as a colorful guide to show us which points should have interesting results, such as the ones on the edge of the "main lake" between connected and disconnected Julia sets. Lets call this point a complex number C.

I usually notice that if I first zoom into Mandelbrot and then choose the point C, the resulting Julia set looks like that magnified area of Mandelbrot where I was searching for parameter of choice C. (For example, try using XaoS). What struck me as an unknown recently is that C points become forgotten, lost or even irrelevant in the process. To be precise, I don't see it per se as a dot on the screen. Surely C is saved in fractal software as a parameter for each image, that part is easy.

My question is which fractal would show us at least approximately where C is within the final Julia-like set? For example, an old screensaver in linux used inverse-julia set to morph endlessly and at all those times the program would show the point C walking around the screen. I can not say if there is a fundamental reason why the C would appear or if someone thought it would be fun to add it over the picture of inverse-julia. Perceptually, the C creates impression of a balanced relation and it's motion inertia and weight in that screensaver.

I presume that a julia-like set which is structured (convoluted, bent, wrapped) around point C would not be appropriately symmetric and maybe would not fit into definition of Julia set. My thoughts for today.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:09:05 PM by gamma » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: