Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:50:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Anti-aliasing for pro results  (Read 7264 times)
Description: Downsampling from gigantic resolutions
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: September 25, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »

More than other art-forms, fractals tend to benefit most from decent anti-aliasing. What I've found out over the past couple of days is how much processor time is needed to obtain really smooth results. I used to double the width and height of each image and downsample to the proper resolution. This does indeed definitely help the image look more fluid than usual.

However, it turns out that sampling 8x8, 16x16 or even as much as 32x32 per pixel (i.e. 1024 times slower!!!) for many images will produce much crisper results. Few fractals demonstrate this better than this ultra-fine sponge texture (still from the standard Mandelbrot) which I have rendered versions of below for comparison.

Enjoy...

Here is the default 640*480 pixel image. It looks okay, but let's see what happens when we downsample...

Here we have the same image but downsampled from 1280*960 back to 640*480. Already, it's looking much better. But can you notice the noisy artifacts? Can we improve on this?

Downsampled from 2560*1920 back to 640*480. Again, even smoother than before. This could be easily mistaken to look as good as it could, but better is possible...

Getting near perfect, this is 64x times slower than before, but the results definitely show. A good compromise between detail and speed. (Downscaled from 5120*3840 to 640*480)

The longest I was willing to wait (and the maximum size my PC could handle is this whopping 10240*7680 resolution image downscaled to 640*480. All the details shine through, and noise is at its lowest.

Many eyes will probably see differences beyond even that level of detail, but I'm not sure how many would be willing to wait for the result smiley

What downsampling scales do users here use for generating their fractal images out of interest?

Here are some images at bigger resolutions for wallpaper purposes:
1024*768
1280*960
1600*1200
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:47:20 PM by twinbee » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »

hey, great examples, good work, the difference from the first to the last image is astonishing!  police police

the method descibed above is working on a regular grid ( e.g. a pixel is divided into 16 equally distanced sub-pixels )
i use a simillar aproach in my programs, but i add a little bit of random to the sub pixels

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:50:11 PM »

excellent renders  afro is that level of zooming achievable with double precision floats?

there are some high-aa renders at a friend of mine's deviantart page: http://chaos5.deviantart.com (i taught him about monte carlo methods for getting good aa, as trifox mentioned smiley those posts should still be stored in his previous journals and deviation comments...)

antialiasing and monte carlo methods are the closest thing i've found to a religion so far tongue stuck out
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:51:49 PM by lycium » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »

when lycium talks about monte carlo methods, he means a method to reduce variance on a stochastic process,
i am not sure how this can be applied to fractal rendering methods, but the good thing about the stochastic sampling of sub pixels is that you have a more finer control about how good your anti alias is, in the regular method demonstrated above, you have a
quadratic growth in your calculation time ( e.g. 2x2=4 and next 3x3=9 or 4x4=16 ) but when using those stochastic methods, you can say that you would like to sample a sub pixel with 5 additional calculations, i think the best values for anti aliasing lies between your two last images, or between 256 and 1024 sub pixels  afro

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »

is that level of zooming achievable with double precision floats?

I think so yes. It's 1.0e-7 per pixel for the 640*480 version, so for the massive 10,240 pixel version it's still only up to 6.0e-9 per pixel.

I'm guessing that whatever anti-alias method you use, the (initial) resolution will be a more significant factor in determining final image quality.

For the above images I used Irfanview's reducement alg. I've tried different ones from Irfanview such as Triangle, and B-spline, but they each come out looking *identical*. Maybe it only uses those for increasing res, rather than decreasing res. Hmm...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:11:00 PM by twinbee » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: