Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 09:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: far object fading in and out  (Read 1960 times)
Description: technical question
Egress
Forums Freshman

« on: May 01, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »

Greetings fellow fractal enthusiasts;
Experiments have so far failed to reveal what is causing far objects to fade off and then back on as they get closer.  In otherwords once they fade on I would like them to stay on as they get closer to the camera.  Understanding and controlling clipping and fading of objects is for me the biggest techical challenge to creating aesthetically pleasing animations.  Any help or references in this regard would be most appreciated.  I'm including a link to a gif image of the problem.  Since this is my first post here I'm not sure it will work.  Thanks.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8c1790ff578c9a88#cid=8C1790FF578C9A88&id=8C1790FF578C9A88%21526
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »

Even if for me is a less dramatic problem i am curious as you

also because the only fix i could find is apparently paradoxal : increase the value of the far plane (the option is in the nav, expanding is GUI is visible in the bottom left

For my logic a change of the far plane should have no any effect on objects that vanish when zooming in, but very often work

But i can't imagine why it works or why some object disappear when getting closer, i would expect the contrary objects vanishing when zooming out

Anyway as workaround when for that problem i can't get closer by zooming in i  do by reducing the FOV value

In my understanding (i hope to be corrected if wrong) zooming in correspond to get closer with a virtual camera, instead increase the FOV correspond to change lens as from a tele to a wide angle or even a fish eye (at least create a similar effect)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »

are you sure you arent talking about higher iterations ? just lower the iterations and all is fine ....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »

are you sure you arent talking about higher iterations ? just lower the iterations and all is fine ....

we are talking about just zooming in without modifying in any way the iterations to whatever value are set before the zoom

It is possible that lower the iteration may solve but also in this case i would like to know why..or zoom in with the nav  may automatically increase the iterations ?
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »

The issue you have is that the far plane is relative to the zoom factor (you can see the zoom factor in the upper left corner below the preview in the navigator). If you get closer to the fractal surface (even a tiny part that you can hardly notice) the zoom factor will increase. You will need to increase the far plane value accordingly to prevent the background from disappearing. The zoom factor is not related to the "walking" buttons, so although intuitively you may think that "walking in" is zooming in, it isn't. Jesse probably can explain the details to you, but this is pretty much the gist of it.

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: