Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:01:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Embedding fractal metadata in JPEG or TIFF files  (Read 2697 times)
Description: I'd like to be able to include plot settings in JPEG or TIFF fractal images
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« on: August 09, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »

The JPEG file format has included the ability to include photographic metadata such as shutterspeed, aperture, focal length, etc.

TIFF files, being very general, are well set up to include custom metadata.

I'd like my program, FractalWorks, to be able to include the settings for a fractal image in a JPEG and/or TIFF image of the file. Then, if a user opens the file in my app, I could recreate the original fractal from the settings in the file.

I've been looking into the EXIF spec. It looks like tags are pre-defined and reserved. That means I could not readily create my own tags.

I would like to use the same scheme for both JPEG and TIFF images, and would like for my extra metadata to be passed, unmodified, by well behaved image editing programs and web servers.

My current thinking is to use the user comment field. I would use ASCII for the user comment, and the first few characters of the comment would mark the comment as a FractalWorks comment. I would then include an application-specific URL for the plot. (FractalWorks already includes the ability to encode the settings needed to reproduce a fractal into a custom URL, which is ASCII.) ASCII isn't the most efficient way to encode plot settings, but it is easy to use and understand.

Have any of you other developers worked with image file metadata before? If so, can you suggest a better way?

Regards,

Duncan C

Regards,

Duncan C
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: