Logo by stardust4ever - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 06:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Install Mandelbulber 1.11 for Mac freezes  (Read 669 times)
Description: Unable to install on OS X Lion as terminal window freezes
DavidMac
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »

I hope this is not a hopelessly ignorant newbie post but I am more a creative than software whizz.

I am trying to install mandelbulber-mac 1.11. OS X 10.7.3

According the read me file:

WORKS FOR OS X 10.6/7
INSTALLING MANDELBULBER

double click on install
>THAT'S IT!

to open mandelbulber: open terminal and type "mandelbulber" and press <enter>

When I try this the terminal window opens and I get this:

Last login: Tue Apr 10 15:29:16 on console
DavidMacPro:~ David$ /Users/David/Downloads/mandelbulber-mac-1.11/install ; exit;

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

I presume it is waiting for my administrator password. But when I try and enter it my terminal window refuses to accept any text input - it is frozen. Pressing Ctrl-C does not abort. It starts what appears to be an installation which after a couple more Ctrl-C's says installation complete. Text input however is still locked.

Exiting and re-starting terminal unlocks it but entering "mandelbulber" produces this:

Last login: Tue Apr 10 15:32:20 on ttys003
DavidMacPro:~ David$ mandelbulber
-bash: mandelbulber: command not found
DavidMacPro:~ David$

Any known issues here? Am I missing something blindingly obvious here? I often do.  undecided

MacPro 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel 2.8  16 GB RAM OS X Lion all updates to date 10.7.3

I would love to try this app. Any suggestions?
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

my terminal window refuses to accept any text input
Are you sure? one usually does not see the password when typing it; you should start from scratch, again, please type your password and press <enter> once you have double clicked install file.
I forgot-you can always send me a mail. smiley
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:29:10 PM by visual.bermarte, Reason: adding (: » Logged
DavidMac
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »

I replied to this yesterday but for some reason my reply has not shown up. As I had feared my post was indeed newbie ignorance.  sad

Only ever having used terminal a few times I had no idea that when you entered a password nothing visible happened on screen - not even a cursor blink. Which is why I though the terminal frozen. I followed your suggestion and it worked perfectly. Mandelbulber is up and running fine. Thank you so much!

Now I shall start trawling the forums and net for documentations or tutorials. It's a bit intimidating on its own. Anyway I can start by simply playing with values on the samples and see what happens. It looks totally fascinating.

Thanks again for getting me up and running.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »

Now I shall start trawling the forums and net for documentations or tutorials. It's a bit intimidating on its own. Anyway I can start by simply playing with values on the samples and see what happens. It looks totally fascinating.

the amount of documentations and tutorials is quite managable. the best adress is http://mandelbulber.com/. there is a wiki with buddhi's original documentation and some adds by bulber users. some infos there are a bit outdated, but still useful for beginners.
the best part of this site is the huge gallery with many striking images and isosceles (site creator) spent a lot of time tagging those images, where a parameter is available. so even for advanced users this is an inspiring pool of ideas...

have fun!

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
DavidMac
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »

Yes thanks for the pointer. I had just discovered it by googling about half an hour before your post. The gallery is fantastic. I can see this becoming rather addictive.  wink
othereyes111
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »

as a mac user I just purchased  "parallels Desktop" and a copy of windows, and now I can run all the windows software under that.
it is much better than boot camp, it works right away and it doesn't crash as far as I can see. you don't need a separate hard drive partition and you don't need to re-boot to use it. it install and works just like regular software. it's fast as well.
I have tried the "software ports" of many programs and they are all a bit scabby and don't work right. this is the best way that I have found.
have fun
D
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »

I have tried the "software ports" of many programs and they are all a bit scabby and don't work right. this is the best way that I have found.

ahem, the windows version is only a "software port" too. the mac version should be closer to the original, as it is developped under linux...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:48:03 PM by taurus66 » Logged

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: