Logo by HPDZ - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 04:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: NVidia Optix 2.5 is out  (Read 1815 times)
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« on: March 26, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »

http://www.nvidia.com/content/newsletters/web/nv-newsletter/optix-email-web.html

Highlights include:
  • Out-of-Core Memory Paging — scene sizes can now exceed physical memory on professional GPUs (Quadro or Tesla, host RAM permitting).
  • Unlimited Textures — More than 127 textures can now be used (127 texture limitation still applies to textures used in graphics interop).
  • GPU BVH Builder — "Lbvh" GPU algorithm can build acceleration structures far faster than previously possible, and far faster than on the CPU.
  • Visual Studio 2010 support.

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »

Currently trying the Optix 3.0.0 beta...

What I find annoying is that their precompiled executables assume sm_20 (Geforce 2xx models) as minimum requirement. That corresponds to CUDA compute capability 2.0 and higher. I will try to recompile the samples to see if I can tweak them to run on older GPUs, like the one in my laptop.

UPDATE: no success, going back to Optix 2.6.0 (the latest stable release) worked for me.

A quick update: I was able to get two Optix samples that are advertised to work only with sm_20 to run on sm_11. The samples in question are mcmc_sampler, and the zoneplate sample. The problem is lack of an atomicAdd() for float values on this hardware. But the following function (if added to helpers.h) can replace atomicAdd() - it will just be somewhat slower. Just be sure to replace occurences of atomicAdd in some .cu files with MyAtomicAdd. In CmakeLists.txt, now edit options to require sm_11 instead of sm_2.0.

Code:
OPTIONS -arch sm_11

Code:
static __device__ __inline__ void MyAtomicAdd(float *address, float value)
{
   int oldval, newval, readback;

oldval = __float_as_int(*address);
   newval = __float_as_int(__int_as_float(oldval) + value);
   while ((readback=atomicCAS((int *)address, oldval, newval)) != oldval)
     {
      oldval = readback;
      newval = __float_as_int(__int_as_float(oldval) + value);
     }
}
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:26:51 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: