Logo by jwm-art - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 08:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: JPG to MP4  (Read 28173 times)
tin34543
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »

Hi

I have loads of sequenced rendered JPG images created in Mandlebulb and I want to convert them directly in to MP4 video format. VirtualDub will create an AVI from the files
but I want to create an MP4 directly from the files. Any ideas what software will let me do this?

Cheers!

PT
slon_ru
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:13:53 AM »

avi2mp4
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108172

tin34543
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »

Thanks but i want to avoid AVI - Is there anything that will take the jpgs and compile them directly in to an mp4?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »

Thanks but i want to avoid AVI - Is there anything that will take the jpgs and compile them directly in to an mp4?

Nothing free that I know of - but if you want to spend a fortune, and have one of the best video editors out there, things like Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effects, and other very high end software can do it.

But if you want a free route, your best bet is VirtualDub to make an uncompressed avi, then convert and compress with any of the vast number of free video converters out there.

Good Luck with it   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
tin34543
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:36:42 PM »

thanks guys smiley
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »

Thanks but i want to avoid AVI

AVI is a container not a format.
You can create an AVI that uses a compatible codec to mp4 then use VLC to swap the container to mp4.
mp4 uses either H264 or H.263 encoding, X264 codec for Windows will do the H264 encoding, Xvid or DIVX can do the H.263
When converting to mp4 make sure the VLC option to 'keep original video track' is ticked.
This means the video is not re-encoded, no generation loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_2
tin34543
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »

Cheers guys smiley
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »

to the basic ....,i suppose that you already know that png would offer better quality then jpg but just in case...

in windowqs you may also use Super (a bit bloated but does well its work) to convert any  series of (jpg, png..) frames in Video format (with even too many options to chose)
tin34543
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »

Although converting to MP4 using VLC works fine, the file size is about the same. Whats the best way
to compress the MP4 to get (obviously) the best quality versus for the smallest size? Someone suggested
an app called Handbrake. Any thoughts?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »

As mentioned - if you want high quality, Never use jpg as a start!

Always use a lossless image format like png, or for those editors which do not support png, then use bmp.  But Absolutely Never start with jpg!

I never heard of handbrake, but try it if it's affordable!

Then just try various codecs until you find one that suits your taste.  I like H264, but many swear by XVid.

It's all a matter of taste and available codecs / software after a point.

One general tip is to render at a higher than needed resolution and reduce that to size for final output. 

What resolution are you using?

That matters too.  Low resolution will always look awful if viewed full screen, but I assume you knew that.

My advice is to experiment by rendering the same sequence with every tool you have, and see what works best   educated

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Although converting to MP4 using VLC works fine, the file size is about the same. Whats the best way
to compress the MP4 to get (obviously) the best quality versus for the smallest size? Someone suggested
an app called Handbrake. Any thoughts?

VLC is a cool viewer but not the best to convert (even if may somehow do some conversion)

again in Windows OS, "Super" http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html is excellent if you know what you are doing

i wrote "if you know what you are doing" because offers you all possible options included some that could not be applied to
all formats and codecs (i.e it will let you try to convert in format or using codec that require a precise image ratio even if your work has a different image ratio...but obviously the result would bring no joy at all )

But as already said the 2 most basic points are

1 render as large as you can ...the very minimum is fullscreen size,(but double is much better )
2 Never save frames as jpg (no ... not even at "100% quality" ) i believe  png is the looseness format that  require less disk space.

stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »

Sadly, Mandelbulb does not allow saving to PNG or BMP, only JPG... cry

Basically, use Virtual Dub to save the JPGs as a AVI video stream using h264, then use AVIdemux to change the container format to MP4. You can also use AVIdemux to splice AVIs or MP4s together (the codecs, resolutions, frame rate must match) and save them without degrading the quality. Why do you have a specific requirement that they need to be MP4? AVI is just as good IMO.

The biggest problem with AVI is from way-back-when people used obscure or obsolete codecs, like that gosh-awful Cinepak and MS-Video1 and Real-Crap-Player, etc, then the downloader finds out they don't work, and either has to delete the file or search for a codec pack that works. It really is less of a problem now-a-days than it used to be, since nearly everyone uses Mpeg-4, Xvid, or h264 now. h264 is the best mainstream codec to use.
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »

Sadly, Mandelbulb does not allow saving to PNG or BMP, only JPG... cry

huh?

Do you mean Mandelbulber ? if so seems strange but i am not sure about

IF instead you mean Mandlelburb3D i am sure that can save as png or BMP..

Oh well thinking better i didn't try yet to save M3D animation, ma since M3D may well save single png, would be strange if could not save also a series of png.

too lazy now to check in the M3D README (README.txt=that file that no average Windows user would never read even if contains everything needed to  know how to use the program, and that is included in the program zip ) but for sure there is explained also how to save animation for best quality
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:50:26 PM by PhotoComix » Logged
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »

Mandelbulber, sorry. The names are easy to get confused. tongue stuck out
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »

You can use AviSynth. It is a frameserver, which means it will use a script to perform (optional) modifications on files mentioned in the script and serves up frames to, for instance, an encoder without producing an intermediate avi file.

Suppose you have a sequence stored in "C:\images" named "sequence_1.png" to "sequence_2000.png" which you like be be a 25 fps clip

You write a simple script in notepad (for example). Let's call it "test.avs" ("avs" is avisynth's extension):
Code:
ImageSource("C:\images\sequence_%d.png", 1, 2000, 25)

Now you can load this script in, for instance, MeGUI to have it encoded to mp4. MeGUI also lets you specify which encoder to use, set it up, add a music clip to be muxed into the resulting mp4 etc...

Quite flexible

Visit me on vimeo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: