Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 04:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: How to Explore other peoples projects?  (Read 3307 times)
Description: How to Explore other peoples projects?
Pangaea
Navigator

« on: February 29, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

Hi folks.

I often see some really amazing images / locations posted on the forum, I noticed that some of them have what looks like a formula or code of some sort. I was wondering if that code was the user giving people the code needed to load up what they made so other people can explore it.
To be honest ive no idea what the code was so i thought to open up some of the m3d files into a txt pad to see if I could see any similarities to what people are posting. I eventually opened up a random .m3p which was in the parameters folder, and the text or code there looks similar. So I copy and pasted a segment of code from one of the gallery images here on the forum to a txt file, then saved it as xx.m3p   I opened up m3d and navigated to the load buttons, and selected the load parameter button (middle one).. nothing seemed to happen initially so i figured i needed to calculate it first to see it, but when i press calculate m3d seems to display the default bulb that is displayed when opening m3d.

Perhaps the code that people are pasting has nothing to do with sharing the actually project location so others can explore it, i guess that was an assumption on my part, however if it is a case that people are sharing the fractals/locations could someone explain how exactly one goes about loading it into m3d?

In addition how might I share my fractal projects? I guess uploading the m3i is possible, but I notice some of them are rather large in file size.. is there any way to access the "net formula" .. i say "net" as in how would i share a hybrid fractal in formula code?.. heh bleh ya know what im probably not even explaining myself properly, to be honest Im not much of a coder, dont understand much math or formulas..etc. but as i said it would be nice to be able to share and load projects as well as pre-rendered images.

regards
pan

EDIT::
well I found out I can copy code into the clipboard then press the "open from clipboard" button... then I hit calculate as the on screen text prompted me to. However it seems to only be rendering a colour gradient..
as an example I am refaring to this: http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=10217
when i calculate that code, all i see is a red colour gradient... I can only assume the code that people are pasting are only the lighting and colour parameters? . if so, why are people pasting these parameters without the actually project file or formula to the fractal itself.. i find most parm settings only work well on the specific projects/fractals they where made for.

I am confused hehe

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:19:56 PM by Pangaea » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »

Your assumption is correct, but it's not text - it's machine code.

To use it just copy the parameters you see and, with the parameters in your system clipboard, then use the TXT icon in the Open tab.  To get the parameters to share from your own work, just press the TXT icon in the save tab - that will load the parameters to your clipboard and you can paste them anywhere you like.

Hope that helps   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pangaea
Navigator

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »

Thanks for your prompt reply, in fact it was too prompt, looks like i was in the middle of writing that "EDIT" at the bottom while you replied.. wink

so just to be clear, the code "machine code" .. is just lighting/colour parameters and not the actual fractal geometry itself? .. sorry for asking what must seem like awesome dudeic questions

regards
pan
Pangaea
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »

umm, well it seems its working now, for some reason when i tried this code:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=10211
i see the whole fractal I can now also explore in the 3d nav window.

yet this: http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=10217
all i see is colour gradient..

perhaps i was just using some awkward code as a first time experiment example..
anyway, seems to be working now, thanks again
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »

Make sure you have the newest versions of both M3D and Darkbeam's Extra Formulas.

Missing formulas usually are the cause of the empty screens you are seeing.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

Some of newest formulas wount work without SSE2 processor. Some code could be broken.

fractal catalisator
Pangaea
Navigator

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »

Thanks once again,  yup i am using the latest version, tho wasn't aware of the add-on formula pack you mention, cheers for the heads up on that.

Just while im on the subject of projects/formulas...etc  I had mentioned that I noticed my m3i project files where huge (at least some of them)... how come? ... I understand that the project file may save a copy of the last rendered calculation along with the project file, but I stumped as to where all that file size is going? especially since ive been copying peoples very short segments of codes into m3d and bringing up amazing very detailed fractals.

Dose the m3d file also save geometry points, or is it just the formula(s), parm(s) and last rendered image.

regards
pan

EDIT "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post. " .. lol i seem to have a knack at posting while others are replying wink thanks asdam for that info
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »

There are 2 types of savefile. Use middle icon, and it will be short.

fractal catalisator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: