Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 06:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Alien Landscape  (Read 3101 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: May 29, 2008, 12:17:31 AM »

Alien Landscape

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=205

My First FractalWorks 3D Render!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:30:50 AM »

wink beautiful planetscape  afro

i like the round transform, what about a moon? cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:14:04 AM »

Alien Landscape

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=205

My First FractalWorks 3D Render!

That's very cool. Did you do any post-processing on it to make it curved like that? You must have. I like the effect of a landscape with a horizon. How did you do it?

Duncan

Regards,

Duncan C
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »

That's very cool. Did you do any post-processing on it to make it curved like that? You must have. I like the effect of a landscape with a horizon. How did you do it?

Duncan

I enjoy getting that reaction!  I believe I once made Trifox exclaim that a Mutatorkammer image I made was not likely from his program.

But ...  Image Edit a Fractal??

Moi?

Well...

Not this time!  I wouldn't post an edited image in your program's Gallery!

Maybe elsewhere in the forum, but not here.

It's just a 3D Version of this:

I used low settings for height and peak steepness - and it's a "flipped plot" - but even the color palette is straight from the source with no editing (Distance Estimate "Cantelope" I believe).

And I think I agree with Trifox about how this one could use some editing after all - I may give it a nice skyscape instead of blackness on my lunch break today...

I have to say...

You did a GREAT Job taming the camera in Open GL!!

I have always wanted this level of camera control while positioning a 3D fractal in the Open GL environment.

The "rounding" may be just an aspect ratio thing - or perhaps a perspective trick.  The edge of the fractal is right up against the camera. 

I still have the FWrx file if you want it.  Does the program save the 3D settings, or will they need to be reproduced as a screen shot or list or something if somebody else wanted to try?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:22:47 AM by Sockratease » Logged

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:10:21 PM »

Quote from: Sockratease
I used low settings for height and peak steepness - and it's a "flipped plot" - but even the color palette is straight from the source with no editing (Distance Estimate "Cantelope" I believe).

Well done. You got a look out of the program that I haven't seen before.

And I think I agree with Trifox about how this one could use some editing after all - I may give it a nice skyscape instead of blackness on my lunch break today...

I have to say...

You did a GREAT Job taming the camera in Open GL!!

I have always wanted this level of camera control while positioning a 3D fractal in the Open GL environment.

Thanks. The one thing I haven't added is the ability to enter the camera rotation numerically. Is that something you'd find useful?

The "rounding" may be just an aspect ratio thing - or perhaps a perspective trick.  The edge of the fractal is right up against the camera. 

I tried a similar perspective and was able to get pretty close. I think it is perspective distortion, just like you would get with a real camera.

I still have the FWrx file if you want it.  Does the program save the 3D settings, or will they need to be reproduced as a screen shot or list or something if somebody else wanted to try?

Sure. Send it along. If the 3D view was open when you saved, it saves it into the file, and recreates the 3D plot when you open it again. If you close the 3D view, though, the settings are discarded.

The version I'm working on now lists the 3D settings (plot height & steepness, camera position, lighting settings etc) in the "get info" window for the plot. The new version will also copy and past all the 3D settings from one plot to another, or if you create a new plot the new plot inherits the 3D settings from the previous. That lets you create a smaller version for speed, get it the way you like it, then create a large version for printing. FractalWorks will create very large 3D images. (20,000 x  20,000 pixels) That's large enough to create REALLY large prints.

Regards,

Duncan C

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:12:51 PM by Duncan C » Logged

Regards,

Duncan C
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Duncan C

Thanks!  One reason I never posted a picture from Fractalworks before is that every time I found a nice image, I noticed something very close was already in the sample files!  It would have seemed derivative or unoriginal to post them.

The one thing I haven't added is the ability to enter the camera rotation numerically. Is that something you'd find useful?

Yes, that would help with fine tuning I suppose.

Actually, it can be done now, but only once... Type in a value and press Enter (Return) and the screen snaps to that value. After which the slider changes the background color!  Fun little quirk.  I only tested the camera x slider - I wonder if the others will behave differently?

I love watching this program grow in scope and power.

If only it could export the 3D stuff as ".obj" models...  I'd get a lot more use from the software! I'm still amazed that Chaos Pro is the only Fractal Generator I ever found that does this (It does not export ".mat" files for coloring, but that is no drawback!) (OK, it's a tiny little drawback - But I suspect  that ".mat" files may be very complicated to create for fractals - especially from ".map" files - and too much to ask for!)  (but I don't have any idea what's involved with coding such things for export either...)  (I like Parenthesis!).

One little bug - I opened the file for this image, and the 3D was intact, as set up!  Except the background was white, despite the value showing as being set to black in the parameter area for that. Easily changed, and not worth much effort to fix - but it may be related to the cross over with the camera slider controlling the bg color - so it may be of interest for debugging later.

O break at employment. Must run...  More later.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:19:24 PM »

Lunch break here.

Here's the FWrk file - to attach it I needed to change the extension (I chose ".par") so you'll need to change it back!  Maybe we should add ".FWrk" to the list of allowed file extensions!

I'll see what can be done about that...

* scape1.par (6.11 KB - downloaded 381 times.)

Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »

Thanks!  One reason I never posted a picture from Fractalworks before is that every time I found a nice image, I noticed something very close was already in the sample files!  It would have seemed derivative or unoriginal to post them.

The one thing I haven't added is the ability to enter the camera rotation numerically. Is that something you'd find useful?

Yes, that would help with fine tuning I suppose.

Actually, it can be done now, but only once... Type in a value and press Enter (Return) and the screen snaps to that value. After which the slider changes the background color!  Fun little quirk.  I only tested the camera x slider - I wonder if the others will behave differently?

There is a bug in version 0.5.6 that prevents it from displaying the background color on a saved plot the first time the 3D view is displayed. If you change anything that causes a re-draw, the background color gets drawn correctly. That bug is already fixed in the development version.

You can change the camera x, y, and z position to your heart's content, but there is not currently a way to rotate the fractal numerically. you have to click and drag. The rotation value is saved into the file.

I love watching this program grow in scope and power.
If only it could export the 3D stuff as ".obj" models...  I'd get a lot more use from the software! I'm still amazed that Chaos Pro is the only Fractal Generator I ever found that does this (It does not export ".mat" files for coloring, but that is no drawback!) (OK, it's a tiny little drawback - But I suspect  that ".mat" files may be very complicated to create for fractals - especially from ".map" files - and too much to ask for!)  (but I don't have any idea what's involved with coding such things for export either...)  (I like Parenthesis!).

Do you know if the .obj file format is documented somewhere? I could look into it.

One little bug - I opened the file for this image, and the 3D was intact, as set up!  Except the background was white, despite the value showing as being set to black in the parameter area for that. Easily changed, and not worth much effort to fix - but it may be related to the cross over with the camera slider controlling the bg color - so it may be of interest for debugging later.

I'm pretty sure that's the same bug I mentioned above. As I said, I have it fixed on my machine, but haven't released the fixed version yet.

[/quote]

Regards,

Duncan C
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:47:35 AM »

i have added FWrk to the allowed file extension list ...  police

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:55:33 AM »

Thanks, for the format addition!

Do you know if the .obj file format is documented somewhere? I could look into it.

Here's the first thing I found:

http://people.scs.fsu.edu/~burkardt/data/obj/obj.html

What do you need for reference?

Chaos Pro is open source, and has the feature - so a working example is out there.

I'm putting together a batch of 3d obj files to post as "freebies" over at the forum for the 3D software I use.  It would be great to get some of these in there!

EDIT:  HOLY CRAP!!!  Just read some of the links on that page...

Especially this one:  http://people.scs.fsu.edu/~burkardt/txt/obj_format.txt

Looks...  Complicated.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:00:37 AM by Sockratease » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: