Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:21:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Very easy DE formula for "Limpet torus"  (Read 356 times)
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

I am trying to do various shapes in MB3D, it's necessary to express them in implicit form and DE must vary asyntotically like sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z) (or a similar function).

Normally you need to derive the expressions to do this (boring method and slow)

Some surfaces are easily convertible with this trick that may be interesting if you want to try;

- given a surface implicit form Sum(fn(x,y,z)) = 0 you need to separate terms of constant sign by terms of variable sign.

Example; (x(y^4+z^4) + sin(x))^4 is constantly positive everywhere (power 4 forces positivity smiley )
but x*y is not always positive.

- Assign the sum of all positive terms to P, all negative to Q. (P = Sum(positiveF(x,y,z)) and Q = -Sum(negativeF(x,y,z)) ) note that I forced the positivity of P and Q.

- Calculate the variable terms one by one; if they are positive sum them to P else to Q (sum the absolute value!).

- Now P = pow(P,1/M) and Q = pow(P,1/M) where M must be >= the maximum grade encountered in the expressions.
Example x*x*x*x*z + z*y*x - 5*x*(1+y)*sin(z) = 0 -> M = 5

Finally DE = P - Q smiley

It works fine.

Ok, the Limpet torus DE is;

// sqrt4(k) = sqrt(sqrt(k))
  R = sqrt(x*x+y*y)
  DE = sqrt4(sqr(R1 + z*R + Rmul*R) + z*z) - R2
  // nice values are R1 = 1.2 R2 = 1 Rmul = -1.6 don't mess around or it fills the entire plane shocked

I can't find this simple expression anywhere (only in parametric form... but parametric stuff is not easily manipulable) thought it may be useful for someone wink

Here some images of raytraced surfaces with my method! wink

I am trying to figure out how to convert some (some!) minimal surfaces to a DE, somebody wants to help me? cheesy

* mitre.jpg (30.13 KB, 647x562 - viewed 65 times.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:24:02 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: