Logo by Mahmut - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber 1.11  (Read 12628 times)
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »

Great work, Buddhi. The new fog looks good, and the OpenCL stuff is getting really interesting.

I tried ricbennet's executable in the previous post, and it worked fine - except for the crazy engine, which crashed even with 100 pixels/job (and a GPU watchdog timer raised to 2 minutes).

Out of curiosity: have you tried running Mandelbulber on a CPU OpenCL implementation, to see how fast it is compared to your reference implementation?
ant123
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:03 PM »

No problems. MandelBulb11opencl for windows in attchaments (3 parts)

Thanks ric! i've got gtk2 runtime (from here http://sourceforge.net/userapps/mediawiki/alex-sh/index.php?title=Main_Page)

althugh the mandelbulber exe can't find the "libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll" from the gtk win32 install, although it is set in PATH, could you tell me which directory to put "libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll" etc in so the .exe will find them?

sorry i think it's the last step, after we can all use mandelbulber.cl future versions in windows if perhaps the linux version progresses faster.  cheesy

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:01:40 PM by ant123 » Logged
ricbennet
Forums Newbie

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »

Thanks ricbennett! it runs under GTK2 so i got the all in one gtk from here: http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php

and installed it ok, it runs the gtk demo, although the mandelbulber.exe doesnt find the "libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll" from the gtk win32 install, i just have in in C:/gtk/bin/    could you tell me where you have it? perhaps it will run! sorry i thought that blocks completely made a windows version cheesy because running CL from linux in win32 is CrAzY!!! thanks!

You can download :
- the opencl librairy in : http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/ (I use the 1.0 version)
- the GTK librairy : http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php ( i use the gtk+-bundle_2.24.8 win 32 version)
- the Jpeg librairy : http://www.ijg.org/files/    ( I use jpegsr8c.zip).
- the "libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll" (and over dll) is provided with buddhi installation. Copy these files in the ...bin/debug or bin/release of your code::block project.

ant123
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:55 PM »

hello, i think i figured it out, actually the gtk.dll files are included in the mandelbulber win32 version, so i think it's possible to install your upgraded version over the previous M. win32 release and it should run. Cool! Thanks!!! cheesy

ricbennet
Forums Newbie

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »

hello, i think i figured it out, actually the gtk.dll files are included in the mandelbulber win32 version, so i think it's possible to install your upgraded version over the previous M. win32 release and it should run. Cool! Thanks!!! cheesy

Yes.
Install the original win32 program no opencl with Buddhi installation , then, replace the mandelbulber.exe with the opencl version attached and add the "cl" directory attached in the same directory.
 wink
ant123
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:30 AM »

here is a gtkrc window-theme file for windows version, copy this over mandelbulbter/etc/gtk2/gtkrc if you prefer a darker GUI for the program. yeah perhaps it's possible to loop the open cl calculations 2 times to measure each thing to double accuracy, i think it will be excellent if it can represent the same scenes as the processor, for the moment coordinates and shadows are abit awol. you'd have to be a hero to write adapt all the program into graphics code!  some of the photos of this program's iteration depth+lighting on deviant art ... amazing.

Mathematically speaking... when you are raymarching using single precision maths, you still have a precision up to 10^28 to 1-e28, so by refining the raymarching in cl you should still be able to get very precise idea of where the points are at. its just that trying to do it in the same cycles as the cpu is abit crude. probably just have to make a slightly different de routine for cl.
ant123
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »

hey CHECK THIS OUT! it's all videos rendered in open CL... http://www.subblue.com/blog/2012/1/6/leclaireur probably a company bought his browser cl engine though so it isnt available yet online.

GeToChKn
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 01:21:16 AM »

hi.  I've been playing with fractals since my 486 days and now seeing the 3d version of them, I'm hooked.  I tried the OpenCL version and when click the activate button, it just closes the program.  I used the 1.11 installer for SF, replaced the exe and added the CL folder.  Is there something I'm missing?  I have an AMD Phenom 2 6 core and a ATI HD5450 video card.
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »

@GeToChKn: AMD/ATI? All the other users in this thread do have Nvidia's GPUs, aren't they?

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »

@GeToChKn: AMD/ATI? All the other users in this thread do have Nvidia's GPUs, aren't they?

that's exactly why i didn't even try to install the open cl version. in addition i would have needed to downgrade to 32bit version.
no thanks for now! No !!!

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »

Don't let that make you feel bad, GeToChKn...

I don't even have a video card!

Still using just the chipset on the mommy-board   alien

And since that looks like your first post, Welcome to the forums!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
GeToChKn
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »

Thanks for welcome.  Thought it could be the ATI card issue, mine does support OpenCL though according to the ATI site.  Have to live with the 6core rendering for now I guess on the 64bit version.  Still having fun with it and learning to cut down processing for quick renders and exploring the endless possibilities of the software.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »

Thanks for welcome.  Thought it could be the ATI card issue, mine does support OpenCL though according to the ATI site.  Have to live with the 6core rendering for now I guess on the 64bit version.  Still having fun with it and learning to cut down processing for quick renders and exploring the endless possibilities of the software.

there are slight differences in the execution units. afaik amd is a bit more strict than nvidia. i guess in the "fragmentarium" section you can learn more about.
i also render on a phenom II x6. there are worse things, that can happen to you  wink

GeToChKn
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »

there are slight differences in the execution units. afaik amd is a bit more strict than nvidia. i guess in the "fragmentarium" section you can learn more about.
i also render on a phenom II x6. there are worse things, that can happen to you  wink

Beats using my 486 back in the day.  lol.  I'm fine with it.  Already done a few animations letting it render overnight once I've done a small 100px animation as a test, and then crank some stuff up for the final.  It does help when you've used fractal before, 3d software, image editing, etc and understand all the concepts.  I picked up in a few hours how most of this software works.  I was just curious about the OpenCL and using some of my video card power but rendering at night is fine with me.  I like how I can just stop it and pick back up at a later time as well when I want to play battlefield. lol.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »

I like how I can just stop it and pick back up at a later time as well when I want to play battlefield. lol.

in fact you can play battlefield while mandelbulber is working. just lower the priority for bulber in task manager and every game should work perfect.
and even when a game uses full three cores your rendering will still have three cores left... only some big renderings with high quality settings sometimes cause problems, but it's allways worth a try...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: