Logo by Tglad - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 06:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber 1.11  (Read 12584 times)
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« on: February 12, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »

Mandelbulber 1.11 - for Linux x86, Linux x64, Win32, Win64 and MacOS 32 and 64 bit

Open source program (GNU GPL) for rendering photo-realistic 3D fractals

Free download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/

http://www.mandelbulber.com/
User manual: http://wiki.mandelbulber.com/index.php?title=User_Manual
Tutorial for creating animations: http://wiki.mandelbulber.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started

New features in version 1.11:
- added iteration fog effect (fog which density depends on iteration count). This fog cast shadows on fractal surface and on itself. Can be also iluminated by auxiliary lights and ambient occlusion.
- improved water animation effect
- disabling of SSAO and DOF when tile rendering is enabled
- OpenCL: added ambient occlusion effect
- OpenCL: added colouring algorithms
- OpenCL: added setting for OpenCL job size
- OpenCL: added new rendering engine "Crazy: iteration fog count"
- OpebCL: added Quaternion and Xonodreambuie formulas
- OpenCL: added volumetric fog effect
- fixed bug: thumbanils weren't rendered properly
- fixed bug: weird colour gradients (http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=10305.msg41172#msg41172)
- added few example files for "iteration fog" effect

SVN repository: http://mandelbulber.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
This repository is available from Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/mandelbulber/

Mandelbulber is also available in Debian (testing - Wheezy) repository.

My gallery with images created using Mandelbulber: http://krzysztofmarczak.deviantart.com/gallery/

OpenCL version is only available under Linux. I'm looking for somebody who helps me to make Windows port
Source code of OpenCL version is here: http://code.google.com/p/mandelbulber/downloads/list

Example images with "Iteration Fog" effect:

knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig horsie riding
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »

great!  A Beer Cup
glad to see, that you're still busy developing this great piece of software. had a quick glance on the new iteration fog. quite promising effect for possible ground-fog.
a big thanks for fixing the bug i reported recently and for all improovements and fixes in this version. i'm currently working on an animation (luckiely still in preview mode), so it might take some time, till i post annother still, but i guess i'll benefit from the improoved water animation...

thanks again and all the best for you and your family!  grin

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »

I made some speed comparison between GPU and CPU rendering. Image was rendered in resolution 800x600

First trial was with Mandelbulb formula
Results:
CPU - 27.3s
GPU - 1.07s
There is no visible difference between images

Test platform was:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 8200
GPU: nVidia GeForce 9600

* Mandelbulb.jpg (215.46 KB, 1200x450 - viewed 575 times.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:58:47 PM by Buddhi » Logged

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »

Second trial was with Mandelbox formula
Time results:
CPU - 43s
GPU - 4.69s
There is difference between images because OpenCL engine uses different coloring algorithm for Mandelbox formula.

* Mandelbox.jpg (232.58 KB, 1200x450 - viewed 554 times.)

ant123
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »

That's Amazing Woah! thanks for coding it in openCL! I dont think word has spread in the digiverse yet that there is an openCL mandelbulber program yet cheesy

installation was pretty easy on ubuntu  for version 1.11, i hope there is not a different opencl version and i have installed the wrong one? do i have to update the GFX card drivers on ubuntu from the default plug and play ones?

C2d 2.6ghz + Nvidia GTX 260 (gtx260 is 2320 3dmarks vs buddhi's one, geforce 960 is 1120 3d marks):
Example files are easier for comparison, i dunno the presets above^^
mandelbulb with backlight.fract >>>2minutes 28s
default.fract Render =  14s

ill keep you posted how the installation goes! TY!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:23:03 PM by ant123 » Logged
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »

That's Amazing Woah! thanks for coding it in openCL! I dont think word has spread in the digiverse yet that there is an openCL mandelbulber program yet cheesy

installation was pretty easy on ubuntu  for version 1.11, i hope there is not a different opencl version and i have installed the wrong one? do i have to update the GFX card drivers on ubuntu from the default plug and play ones?

C2d 2.6ghz + Nvidia GTX 260 (gtx260 is 2320 3dmarks vs buddhi's one, geforce 960 is 1120 3d marks):
Example files are easier for comparison, i dunno the presets above^^
mandelbulb with backlight.fract >>>2minutes 28s
default.fract Render =  14s

ill keep you posted how the installation goes! TY!

OpenCL version is distributed as a source only. Download it from here: http://code.google.com/p/mandelbulber/downloads/list
You have to compile this and run install script.
To compile the program you have to go to mandelbulber1.11/makefiles folder and run "make all".
When you run the program (mandelbulber-opencl) you will have additional tab "OpebCL" in main Mandelbulber window, and then "Enable OpenCL" checkbox.
If you encounter any problems with compiling the program please let me know.
Please note that not all formulas and effects works with OpenCL. It is still in experimental phase.

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »

Question: Is the CPU version using Intel SSE2 or AVX yet?
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »

Question: Is the CPU version using Intel SSE2 or AVX yet?

SSE2

ant123
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »

Did you have to install some ubuntu opencl nvidia cuda drivers and opencl sdk to make the compiler? i need a file called cl.cl.hpp it could be opengl etc, i already isntalled freeglut3-dev or something like that. I'm stoned and Ubuntu is driving me crazy! i cant change the theme and all teh windows have some "camouflage theme" and "run away and hide" animation where i am playing hide and seek with my pc... the windows are backwards and it keeps dimming and going yellow and firefox crashed 7 times and it took me 1 hour to install another theme like macbuntu...

. i duno if i can "change the nvidia driver" arg  tongue stuck out

Code:
tuone@ubuntu:~/Desktop/mandelbulber1.11.opencl.orig/makefiles$ make all
Building file: ../src/Render3D.cpp
Invoking: GCC C++ Compiler
g++ -DCLSUPPORT -O3 -march=native -mfpmath=387,sse -ffast-math -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 gthread-2.0;` -MMD -MP -MF"src/Render3D.d" -MT"src/Render3D.d" -o "src/Render3D.o" "../src/Render3D.cpp"
In file included from ../src/Render3D.h:15:0,
                 from ../src/Render3D.cpp:29:
../src/cl_support.hpp:16:21: fatal error: CL/cl.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [src/Render3D.o] Error 1
tuone@ubuntu:~/Desktop/mandelbulber1.11.opencl.orig/makefiles$
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:38:06 PM by ant123 » Logged
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »

I'm not so familiar with Ubuntu (I'm using Debian), but I will try to help you.

On Debian I'm using following packages:
nvidia-libopencl1
nvidia-opencl-dev
libnvidia-compiler
nvidia-opencl-common

I tried to find similar packages for Ubuntu and I found following:
nvidia-current (contains libOpenCL.so)
khronos-opencl-headers (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/khronos-opencl-headers)

I hope it will be enough

PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »

I'm not so familiar with Ubuntu (I'm using Debian)...

May be a few exception but most of debian package are fully compatible with ubuntu .
(i often installed Debian packages when i did not found specific for ubuntu ,and i felt to lazy to compile )

But Ubuntu may have a different issue ;
as default not any of the packages needed to compile from sources is installed.

PS i suppose you already know but when compiling for yourself you may use "checkinstall" to create a package.
(Just replacing command "make install" with "checkinstall")

it is true that is not a professional tool to build (i.e. doesn't check too well for dependencies ) but most of times works and if not install will abort with a error message (usually indicating a missed library )

if you do i may offer myself as guinea pig for testing the deb(i use last kubuntu )
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:48:25 PM by PhotoComix » Logged
ant123
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:22:37 AM »

Thanks for looking i will check out this version from khronos etc. and headers etc. like redhat afro, i should have checked out the different versions of linux, Like some nattybuntu or something abit easy, that would have a reasonable theme/theme manager/file browser, because diving into ubuntu walking upside down in a mirror.

i got the wibu version of ubuntu, just blank. its GUI colors and doesnt have a show desktop button.

then i installed Nvidia Cuda as from the wiki from some raytracing opencl page, and the cl.hpp to cuda/something/cl.hpp... it took 1 hour to install 250mb and the windows keep jamming for a minute!

if you do a scan of your files for cl.hpp you might be able to determine what openCL dev install you have.

The includes  CL/cl.hpp from teh mandelbulber is going somewhere different from the ubuntu/cuda/.../cl ill try and figure out how to lacate it.

There are 3 open CL packages for ubuntu, mostly compatible with with differences, the amd, nvidia and a general version. i dunno which you have.

cheers i will figure it out and say back what i find.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:29:50 AM by ant123 » Logged
ant123
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:33 AM »

i have to install checkinstall wink
ant123
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 02:07:35 AM »

ok, IT WORKS!!!! continuing this crazy session of installing opencl in ubuntu, I finally installed and linked the opencl components required by M..... copied all M files to a fresh directory and recompiled it ... it works!!!! you would be better off installing debian on your windows with debian-wibu package.

>installed wibu in win7, had to click continue 30 times to do it.

>tried 1 hour to install new theme, still didnt get a proper one

>had to learn 20 linux commands, like sudo makes any command a root etc. drag and drop file browser locations to terminal saves alot of time, also copy paste to terminal.

You need install : mesa.common.dev, freeglut3, nvidia common dev, and nvidia cuda toolkit and 1 2 others.

link toolkit to main library like this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7542808/what-is-needed-to-compile-opencl-on-ubuntu-and-by-extension-opencl-period/

1) The CUDA toolkit will have included the OpenCL headers (Listed at http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/), likely they are in the directory /usr/local/cuda/include/CL. To make these headers available system wide, you should link this directory into /usr/include/, such that they may be accessed as /usr/include/CL/[headerfilename]. Instead of creating a symlink, you could add /usr/local/cuda/include to your C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH environment variables, but this would last for only currest session.

.. answer, run nautilus explorer as root "sudo nautilus" navigate to usr/include/cuda/lib/CL or similar, middle button mouse drag it to the desktop and choose make link, and then copy paste that link to usr/include using root priveledges.

instull and update nvidia stuff with these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

So it works! estimated time to install everything from windows without partition etc, could be about 2/4 hours depending on ubuntu performing like a ***&*
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:18:34 AM by ant123 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: