Logo by mjk1093 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 11:52:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Giant Fractal Mosaic  (Read 1747 times)
Hedgeclipper
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:26 AM »

I am making a giant fractal mosaic for a wall of my room. The idea came to me in a dream. I had been working on a lot of mandelbulbs, but I wanted to do something different with them, so I'm making 100 10" by 10" printouts of 3D fractals using mandelbulber 1.09 for mac os and arranging them into a picture. Rather I am taking a picture and reducing its resolution to 10x10 in photoshop (so that its extremely pixelated), then colour picking each square that makes up the picture and applying it to a fractal I will make print out (so that each fractal is the perfect colour to make up the image I want). Then I will put them all together on a big bristol board or MDF on wall so that they form one large, low resolution picture when looked at from far away and many small high resolution pictures when looked at from up close.

I already have found a lot of interesting fractal spots, but any suggestions of certain parameters on certain fractals to visit would be welcome.

I'm just looking for any suggestions/inspiration.

D'you guys think I should use all the same fractal formula (I was thinking one of the mandelbox versions or the original Mandelbulb (possibly with some powers changed around), or mix and match? Anyone got any ideas for an image to use? It would have to be simple enough that it could be recognizable being made of a 10x10 grid of colours, and also interesting and/or trippy? Any other suggestions for this project?

-thanks smiley
Mrz00m
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »

find your own picture that you like, for example choose one of the images from google images when you type "mandelbulb3dv17", its the header of a parameter/fractal location file...

also with mandelbulber. When you have the very large render in JPG format, say you have a 50 100 mb jpg, you can use one of many free programs to slice it into a poster size, it actually makes the margin on the paper so that you have 1cm to place the sticky tape... like devide your pic into 50 a3 pieces of paper...

i dunno if these are teh good poster program i used but they probably are:

http://diggfreeware.com/free-open-source-poster-creator-for-windows-mac-linux/
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: