Logo by Tglad - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:35:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hello and Mandelbulb question  (Read 817 times)
Description: Greeting and Mandelbulb
asimes
Fractal Lover

asimes
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:50:50 AM »

Hello all,

Brand new to your forum. I am a programer and like to use Processing for my visual work: http://processing.org/
Some of my projects are at http://alexsimes.com/ although I suppose the fractal mountain generator would be the most appropriate for this forum.

I became very interested in the Mandelbrot / Julia sets recently and was able to make an "Escape Time" pixel representation. I am still fairly new to these kinds of fractals and am trying to wrap my head around programming continuous coloring. If anyone knows of a resource or tutorial for this that doesn't require intense equation reading abilities I'd really appreciate it.

I also discovered the Mandelbrot recently. I posted some questions about it on Processing's forum although they are not as fanatic about fractals as I hope you guys are. If someone could point me in a direction on how to learn to make one that would be fantastic. At a fundamental level I just don't understand what the x, y, and z axes represent for it. I know that for a Mandelbrot x is real numbers and y is imaginary (my confusion on Mandelbulb would be what z is).

Excited to get into fractals
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »

hello and welcome to the forums, the z is just z wink
call it as you like, for rendering smooth iteration bands david the the man, search for "smooth coloring" on the forums to find some tutorials on how to implement log shading in your escape time colorings ....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »

At a fundamental level I just don't understand what the x, y, and z axes represent for it. I know that for a Mandelbrot x is real numbers and y is imaginary (my confusion on Mandelbulb would be what z is).

hello and welcome,

x, y and z are the components of socalled triplex numbers. but i am neither programmer nor mathematician, so i won't bother you with my half-knowledge. grin the triplex numbers are discussed at http://www.fractalforums.com/theory/triplex-algebra/msg9476/

have fun!

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: