Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 12:26:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: <words>  (Read 1859 times)
ncopas
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:36:39 PM »

Fractalia has been my latest hobby for some time now. I haven't been able to find anyone else interested enough to discuss it with. I use Matlab code that I wrote to generate Julias, Mandelbrots (inside and outside the set), Newtons, Buddhabrots.  I have some videos on youtube (search for sulfursandwich, my screenname on there) of Julias and Mandelbrots (one of my favorites is the Julia traveling in a half-circle around the edge of the Mandelbrot). I have created my own custom colormaps on Matlab. Also, I use GIMP and Photoshop to create some composite buddhabrot images.
I haven't found much about the Buddhabrot on here, but I would like to find someone else who is very intrigued by it as I am. In fact, I'm at work right now, and my home computer is currently in a ~20-hour process of generating several dozen buddhabrot matrices for me to render as images when I get home. I have a lot I would like to ask/discuss with any other Buddhabrot enthusiasts.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:53:44 PM »

heya, welcome to the forums smiley you're more than welcome to discuss the buddhabrot method with me; although i must confess to not being particularly familiar with the algorithm, if you'll explain it i guarantee that there's a nice numerical procedure whereby it can be efficiently rendered by a massively parallel implementation afro

ncopas
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:20:39 PM »

fantastic! Are you familiar with Matlab? The syntax is very easy, I'm sure if you are a software person, you will be able to figure it out. I can send you the code if you like, and some images that might pique your interest. Also, what language do you program in? I'm interested in learning more about software programming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhabrot
My Quick Explanation of Buddhabrot:
Use the same Z=Z^2+C algorithm that you use when rendering Mandelbrot, except don't record the number of iterations it takes a point to escape, only record WHETHER OR NOT it escapes (aka, whether it's in the set). When I do this step, I get a huge matrix with 0's to mark which points are in the set, and 1's to mark which points are not in the set. Then, take every point which DOES NOT ESCAPE and run it through the Z=Z^2+C algorithm again, but this time start a NEW DATA MATRIX and increment the point on this matrix that corresponds to the value that you hit EACH TIME you iterate. It's easier to use an example:
Say the point -.4 + .6j is not in the set, therefore a point we want to iterate for Buddhabrot. Run it through Z=Z^2+C one time and you get -.6 + 0.12j. Increment this point by 1 on the new data matrix. Now, continue to iterate and increment each point you hit on the new matrix until the value escapes. Then move on to the next point.
Once you increment all the 'hits' by every original data point, you have a beautiful buddha-like image. (Also, it looks cooler if you flip the axes so buddha is sitting upright)
Okay, hope that made sense. If not, maybe you would learn from the code. Also, if I send code or images, would you recommend putting them on this site, or sending them via email.

I have dozens and dozens of images I can send you. One particularly interesting mystery is that, when you render the buddha with all the same parameters except changing the matrix size by only 1 (e.g. 967x967 to 968x968), completely new patterns and artifacts arise. I can show you what I mean more when I send images.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:37:22 AM »

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

Why not just post your images in our Gallery?

Or use a host like photobucket and share them?

I always enjoy seeing images people programmed themselves.

The Budddabrot is a very pretty thing.  I had seen them, but never read the wikithing before.  Thanks

I look forward to your images!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

the buddhabrot is closely connected to the ifs rendering method, meaning that you have a frequency map that counts the hits on that pixel, i once wrote a buddabrot test application wich used different formulas than the z^2+c equation, the results are quite funny ...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: